Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Career in IT...worth it?

@3ngor
    i speak as someone who has worked as freelance, consultant and inhouse support for a couple of large companies.
    as with anything else, knowing what you want and carefully plotting a path towards achieving it will net you better results in the long run.

Money is always key to these things, as you will be a lot happier doing your job with your bills met as opposed to sponging off mommy and daddy or having to borrow to meet the next paycheck and the next set of bills. not to mention, if there is a woman in your life.... nuff zed!

if i was to advise you, i would say, inform yourself as much as possible. ask questions, call up companies from the phone book and speak to IT and HR persons. find out about salaries, perks, benefits, real job conditions, your rights as an employee. get active in your drive to place yourself properly. I have heard it said that in IT, we should always focus more on the Information and less on the Technology. so, inform yourself.

Finally, i will say this. Get your education with a mind to making yourself Viable as opposed to Employable. one way to satisfy both yourself and your parents is to own your own business. that way, you get to be manager, managing director, ceo or whatever title you can dream up, while doing what you love.
    Again, do your research, ask around, find out about local interests that have started and thrived and what it took to get them to that stage.

good luck youngun.
    Do nothing which is of no use.
    The Way is in Training.

Respec TechJa seniors for the guidance

As for me...I'm off to my quest...to hopefully have a fruitful IT career

Yup that's where it's at...no health care fo me...

I've never considered owning ma own business...but I guess that's the true way of beating the hustling of Jamaica...

Consider carefully, the only safe job right now is really in the healthcare sector....There are alot of people going into technology now, even some that cant read and write..........What about when technology reach a point of 100 stabilty eg....a no crash operating sysytem, a computer that can troubleshoot itself.....large computer networks that only need 1 or no admin, telecommunictions equipment that need no servicing and yet they last for over 25 years........etc. Things are getting really stable in technology and problems can be sorted out even by the lay man and down the road some techies gonna get thrown under the bus. Well anytime you see a machine writing or filling a prescription dont consider the health field.

It is not doing what you are happy with nowadays, the tables have turn. Dont let anyone fool you. If you dont have money, you cant feel happy most of the times.........it might sound funny but it is true.........its like have sex,yu feel good, yet when yu done yu heart raise cause yu cant find money fi even buy soap fi bathe.
    I can be here and everywhere at anytime.

Yeah like a few people say health field right now you cant go wrong. even in economy downturn they still cant find enuff people to fill open positions in medical field. IT is good field but things are changing ist not like the 90's every company wants a few IT geeks. I personally know a huge organization right now that only has one IT person.. yeah i said it 1 network admin that does everything from helpdesk to systems. but what you can do is see if you can do both. Technology is the kind of field that you don't even have to go school for anymore just find $1000 US dollars and go to training. Do what you love but nowadays everyone and dem granny is a system administrator. plus people just a go into IT fi mek dem seem like dem smart.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

RubberBand Man Guest

Why not consider doing another degree after doing your IT degree for e.g. Business Administration don't think you can go wrong that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberBand Man View Post
    Why not consider doing another degree after doing your IT degree for e.g. Business Administration don't think you can go wrong that way.
    Rubber business administration is one of the worse degrees you can ever go for now. This isn't 1980. Most people i know that have a business degree end up doing something completely different. but your recommendation of for 2 degree is good.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

RubberBand Man Guest

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Rubber business administration is one of the worse degrees you can ever go for now. This isn't 1980. Most people i know that have a business degree end up doing something completely different. but your recommendation of for 2 degree is good.
    Yea I know about the business administration degree that's why I just used it as an example. But a degree in pharmacology and IT not all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberBand Man View Post
    Yea I know about the business administration degree that's why I just used it as an example. But a degree in pharmacology and IT not all that bad.
    Very true, a degree in pharmacology and IT would be good. Start working in a Lab or Hospital then he may switch over to IT at the same place or the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRO View Post
    Consider carefully, the only safe job right now is really in the healthcare sector....There are alot of people going into technology now, even some that cant read and write..........What about when technology reach a point of 100 stabilty eg....a no crash operating sysytem, a computer that can troubleshoot itself.....large computer networks that only need 1 or no admin, telecommunictions equipment that need no servicing and yet they last for over 25 years........etc. Things are getting really stable in technology and problems can be sorted out even by the lay man and down the road some techies gonna get thrown under the bus. Well anytime you see a machine writing or filling a prescription dont consider the health field.

It is not doing what you are happy with nowadays, the tables have turn. Dont let anyone fool you. If you dont have money, you cant feel happy most of the times.........it might sound funny but it is true.........its like have sex,yu feel good, yet when yu done yu heart raise cause yu cant find money fi even buy soap fi bathe.
    Now that will never EVER happen. You can consider humans as the most advanced computers to exist, and don't we get ill, meet into accidents, etc? The more complicated something is, the more likely things will go wrong at one area or another, and computers are only becoming more complex as time goes on. There'll ALWAYS be the human requirement when dealing with computers... if it's even as a power source .
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    Now that will never EVER happen. You can consider humans as the most advanced computers to exist, and don't we get ill, meet into accidents, etc? The more complicated something is, the more likely things will go wrong at one area or another, and computers are only becoming more complex as time goes on. There'll ALWAYS be the human requirement when dealing with computers... if it's even as a power source .
    You are getting my point wrong here....What I am saying is that technology is getting more stable everyday and alot of people is going into that field......It is coming to a point now that you have more dogs than bones. and some people is gonna be left out. Look at IT departments nowadays, 1 man is doing everything which usually require 10 people. Whats the cost of fixing a computer nowadays? Down to nothing. Computer techs here in the US usually makes $80 or more in the nineties....now its down to about $25 the highest.

You are not in the age of trial and error.

I guess you underestimate the power of technology bro.