Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Career in IT...worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post
    One way to look at things is that it is easier to pick up IT later on in life - through self study, classes etc. But it is more difficult to pick up pharmacology or other similar types of scientific disciplines later in life. You could eventually study both, but the opportunity for the health care part may only be presented to you now, while you can always pick up the IT after.
    Ahh I hear ya

Reeli n truly I'm clueless as to what I want to pursue right now...still pondering

But fo how things lookin anything 'IT' jus gon remain a hobby I guess ...

Cool Look wats around computers are goin

Follow your instincts. Because computers are taking over. So don't fight it learn about it as much as u can.
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

Well, from a monetary standpoint, your parents are right about studying pharmacy...they seem to be making quite a bit of money. But as others have said before, your parent's assessment of IT may not be accurate, there are persons who work for years in IT and don't make much more than a accountant or some lecturers, while there are others who make a killing.

Also the IT field is very diverse and as such there are a number of avenues where you be able to make money outside of a regular 9->5. As for studying IT, I suppose at your current stage there's not much you can do about specializing...but you can think about the areas you may be interested in Programming, networking etc.

Overall, as Owen said you need do love...but be prepared to deal with the consequences, I know ppl who were very social and love loved hospitality...they eventually got there degree in Hospitality and Tourism and now they are miserable in their job.

I think I knew I wanted to be in IT when I left High School (I did business and some science subj), I went on to MBCC and did Add. Math, Math, Econ, and Sociology at A'level then went on to do my first degree in comp. Sci...I now work as Programmer/Analyst...Funny I wanted to be an accountant growing up, but left that behind after CXCs. Now I'm back to studying business management.

What you become and the amount of money you make is really up to you and not necessary your chosen field. Do you have any idea how much money a 'good' taxi driver makes!?

ah cool...good stuff^

hope I won't be one to end up miserable in my job ...

well I just reasoned that most things IT probably can be self-thought...so I wouldn't necessarily do any IT course in college...just have it on the side...

Quote Originally Posted by 3ngor View Post
    ah cool...good stuff^

hope I won't be one to end up miserable in my job ...

well I just reasoned that most things IT probably can be self-thought...so I wouldn't necessarily do any IT course in college...just have it on the side...

If you work in a field with something you love doing, you'll never work a day in your life.

The statement is true, but the hassle is in getting there. Hehe. Like the driving to the customer locations.

Anyways.

http://certification.about.com/od/to...p/topfor09.htm

http://certification.about.com/

Hope those help.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".