Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Career in IT...worth it?

Unhappy A Career in IT...worth it?

I have been pondering for days now as to which career field to pursue.

My fondness is for computers so I'm definitely thinking about doing computer science at UTECH.

I'm thinking about becoming a network administrator, but yeah I know I'd have to work my way up, probably starting from help desk position (I've been reading related threads).

Well I revealed this to my parents and was nicely ridiculed. Basically they see little job opportunity and financial satisfaction in an IT career.

How true is this?

They had their better suggestion of Pharmacology. But I really don't want to be working with people such that I have their health in my hands.

So how to beat the hustling of Jamaica? I know the best thing to look at is health care or business.

Any help to prove my parents wrong?

Should I consider tourism?

(Yes yes I know there're semi-related threads on this but none as direct, so please don't flame the n00b much)

Your parents may not understand IT and the opportunities which exist in that field here. Keep reasoning with them, and bring some information to the table when you discuss it with them. Check the job ads in the papers each week and also show them the opportunities for IT which are present on the job websites like caribeanjobs.com

Also, don't just think about what is marketable in Jamaica. Think globally.

Pharmacology may present opportunities here, but the potential for earning here is greater with IT.

to me a job in health care is the safest job you could ever have. but since you dislike the fact you have their health in your hands, go with what you love best.
    Last edited by crysis; Jul 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
    Blackberry Bold 9000 (retired)
    OS 5.0.0.592
    Alcatel sPop jelly bean 4.1.1
    If There's A Will There's A Way.

Good move youth, IT is in everything nowadays.
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Yup they surely are underestimating the existing opportunities. That's exactly what I trying to show them...almost every business out there has some form of computer integration...

Now imagine Jamaica 10 years from now in terms of computer usage...

Cmon I know is not only 3 people on TechJa...

It's always best to pursue what you like. Nothing's worse than working in a field that you don't like and your mind wondering what life would have been like if you had gone the other road that you loved. There are many persons who have started in a "popular" profession (doctor/lawyer/etc.) only to completely switch professions later in life.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

You will never be focused doing something which does not make you happy. Remember it's your life and not theirs.. It's what you want to become, I would assume you are 17 - 18 and so I'd say make your own decisions, If they don't want to fund your education then school loans are available. I'm planning to start at VTI september I'm only 17... Been reading alot about PC's.

I always say, do what you enjoy - not what gives you the most money. Help other people out from time to time cause the only life worth living is a life lived for others. if there is something you are good at chances are there is some company out there who will pay you to do it full time. Since you parents paying for you education, its best to listen to them but many people are able to juggle two careers.

I would like to be corrected if I am wrong on this. In IT, the farthest I can see one going is... a manager. IT people can never lead the organization as say a CEO. He is just a means of support or making certain processes easier. IT ppl generlly do not make money for the company, as such, I view them as disposible. They can easily be fired and replaced. These aspects of IT in Jamaica make me HATE IT. I personally feel the best way to make money in IT is to be a consultant. And in anything you do, the best advise I would say, is to ensure ppl have to DEPEND or NEED you.

Yea I'll soon be applying for sixth form, so that's why I'm starting to think about this now so I can be super sure what subs I'm gonna do...

I know it shouldn't be about what gives me the most money...but at the same time who doesn't want to live comfortably...

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

-That's the direction I want to be sure I'm heading....

Ah DJ_WOW that's how ma parents looking at it...

I know there really isn't such a thing as 'job security'...but this seems too true a thing for an IT job...

So how I was looking at it is that the best way to be valued by a company is to become their network administrator...
    Last edited by 3ngor; Jul 13, 2009 at 02:56 AM.