Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Case: Running a PC without an anti-virus

Quote Originally Posted by pcchick View Post
    My pc runs automatic updates is this essentially the updates you are referring to or are there other updates that I need to know about?
    Yes, those are the updates I am referring to. Windows Updates.

Quote Originally Posted by pcchick View Post
    Have your pc detected any viruses thus far?
    Nope. Only false positives. Meaning legitimate programs that I use are flagged as viruses. But they are not.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

pcchick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Yes, those are the updates I am referring to. Windows Updates.

Nope. Only false positives. Meaning legitimate programs that I use are flagged as viruses. But they are not.
    ok good to go.

Naw bodda even think of asking this.

I really can't bother to read all the threads but I get the point. Basically I have never really used Antivirus solutions on my personal PCs, I'm my own Anti-virus and there is nothing more effective on the market. I know what to look for when it comes to viruses and what the guy said in the beginning is just some of the basics. I for one don't use my machine without disabling Hidden files and system files(can be found in folder options). Basically it's not like viruses are not invisible beyond any form of visual confirmation.
    Basically if you don't understand what i'm saying, just think of life and how you cannot actually see the devil but you know he exists through the bad mind people that occupy this earth and in order to confirm detect them you have to go a little beneath the visually obvious(the surface).
    DO ONTO OTHERS BEFORE THEY DO ONTO YOU!!!

There is a way to render files totally invisible on NTFS. It's called ADS.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    There is a way to render files totally invisible on NTFS. It's called ADS.
    Well I guess rules/laws were made to be broken!
    DO ONTO OTHERS BEFORE THEY DO ONTO YOU!!!

It's now week 10 or just over 2 months and still virus free. Sometimes I can't even bother do a virus scan each weekend because the results are all the same.

In the same breath, Trend Micro's HaouseCall version 7 is pretty nice. The darn thing scanned my computer under 5 mins. Really nice.

I dont install anti virus software on my machines because they use up too much resources. Instead I use trend Micro's online scanner. I dont get viruses or trojans. every once in a while i do an online scan and my pc is always clean. So i dont see the need for anti virus if you know how to protect yourself properly
    ChAos AnD cOnfLicT ArE mY ParEntS

Quote Originally Posted by Malloc-X View Post
    I dont install anti virus software on my machines because they use up too much resources. Instead I use trend Micro's online scanner. I dont get viruses or trojans. every once in a while i do an online scan and my pc is always clean. So i dont see the need for anti virus if you know how to protect yourself properly
    So it's not that uncommon to do. Glad to see more people doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    A limited account is way too limited for everyday tasks. And having to logout and log back in to an admin account to do certain tasks like installing a program or a game, is too cumbersome.

The option Run as Administrator doesn't fully work as it only allows the selected file to be run as an admin, but if that program uses system files or runs other programs, then those are also denied access.
    I think you should take another look at the limited account thing...and the Run As Administrator things does work with programs accessing system files.

Limited account by itself can't work for day -to-day tasks. You can't even change the time. What you have to do is create the limited account first THEN go to Control Panel--> Administrator Tools--> Computer Management--> Local Users and Groups and select the profile you just create and change the group membership to Power User. This gives you more power than Limited without needing admin rights to do simply things like changing the time

Using "Run As Administrator" (holding **** and right clicking a Shortcut OR executable file) opens the exe and all process threads opened by that exe. So the system files and everything is allowed.

The only problem i have with limited account right now is Firefox Updates. Those updates give me hell cause you can't simply open firefox using Run As Admin and it works. For some strange reason - it just buggy. Haven't found another application with this problem.

For further control, you can use Control Panel--> Administrator Tools--> Computer Management--> Local Security Policies to see what policies are available and if u want to be able to do something, just add Power Users to the policy item.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

So I am on week 15, almost 4 months without an anti-virus and I'm chugging along virus free. I swear, I'm not lying. lol

Did a scan over the weekend using Housecall 7 from trend micro and got back same ole false positives on my game files Silkroad Online and also some new false positives on some game files in Battlefield Heroes folder.