Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Case: Running a PC without an anti-virus

So wat happens when someone say me comes and use the machine without your knowledge. And the account not locked? Will the machine still be safe after i plug in my virus riddled thumb drive and tries to download pirated software? And accepts whatever i get over the messengers? .................................................. .....just givin you trouble i like the thread
    Confucius say..Man who fight with wife all day, get no piece at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillion View Post
    Your task as member of the elite is to educate, no matter how hard it is.
    No one can do all their own homework all the time. That is why people communicate and collaborate on forums.

I forgot to upload my results of my online scan, so can use that as a basis to compare my other weekly virus scans and see if I get any viruses.

I used Trend Micro's online scanner, found here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

First hit was a javascript file that I had tested out an exploit with. *ssshhh*
    Second was another exploit file I was messing around with.
    3rd is just harmless cookies.

Also tested with Kapersky's Online scanner and mostly got false positives for some exe's I have.

So my system is clean to start out with.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

yep... the angel... and exploits.... mhmmm. I always knew somn wasnt so right somewhere...
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Its not impossible...but I had a PC with no antivirus for about a month with no probs and lent it to someone for a hour and it got royally messed up when i got it back...

buy a mac and u wont have to worry abt any of these problems....jus saying......

My first weekly scan.

The point? To make you aware that you can be just as effective as an anti-virus.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

The point? To make you aware that you can be just as effective as an anti-virus.
    Well, technical no since when practicing safe browsing your AV would not have any work to do anyway. Being as effective as the AV would be avoiding threats while breaking the safe computing practices you outlined in post #1. Analogy time: if you commit a crime (unsafe browsing) chances are that you will be arrested and vice versa if you don't commit any crimes. A_A you are very determined to prove your point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldayne View Post
    Well, technical no since when practicing safe browsing your AV would not have any work to do anyway. Being as effective as the AV would be avoiding threats while breaking the safe computing practices you outlined in post #1. Analogy time: if you commit a crime (unsafe browsing) chances are that you will be arrested and vice versa if you don't commit any crimes. A_A you are very determined to prove your point though.
    Hmmm...

What happens if someone sends him an attachment (Word file) that has a virus? This could be from a business associate who does not know the file is infected.

If using an email client don't open emails with attachments. Use a free online email provider that will scan your attachments for viruses for you.
    Is this practical for the average person?
    Last edited by jamrock; Jul 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nic View Post
    buy a mac and u wont have to worry abt any of these problems....jus saying......
    Just saying; shut up.
    I use a i3 laptop that runs World Community Grid all day.
    Crow: 316-2855 (LIME) Xfire: Napalmphoenix

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    Is this practical for the average person?
    Yahoo always scans attachments before they're downloaded...

Quote Originally Posted by CrowMagnum View Post
    Just saying; shut up.
    ............. OUCH!!!
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions