Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Test Case: Running a PC without an anti-virus

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    I don't understand why you would expose your data to such a high level of risk. Using an anti-virus when sharing files with other people is just a basic security precaution.

Some people jump out of planes for fun. Others race bikes. I guess this is your way.
    That perceived high level of risk, is diminished due to the precautions I take jamrock. Jumping out of a plane with no parachute is a high level of risk. But jumping out of a plane with a parachute and a back up parachute diminishes that risk to something that is manageable.

Running a computer without an antivirus in an open environment is a high level of risk.
    But doing it while taking precautionary steps to prevent one from getting infected, brings that risk down.

Again my data is backed up on a 2nd hard drive, so I'm able to minimize any loss.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I haven't scanned my computer for viruses in a while, so decided to do so this weekend. Used TrendMicro's Housecall and BitDefender's Online Scanner to scan for viruses.

ESET Online Scanner marked 2 legitimate programs as virus, files from the HotSpotShield's folder, but I restored them when the scan was done.

So no viruses. Still safe as ever. Coming up to 2 years running without an anti-virus.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

If you know what you are doing, you really dont need AV. I'm currently on my laptop w/out one. Been like this for awhile now.

I'd normally install an AV but over the years I've gotten quite lazy so I've been doing without. This has been fine since I don't deviate outside of my normal browsing habits; same forums, social networking, online games etc.)
    However, I now have some friends who from time to time use my pc and have different browsing habits than I. MS Essentials has been on my pc since last year but has been on inactive duty. I ran it a few times over almost a month I think since they started using and...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...fe/virus-2.jpg
    But was expected since they clicked on fb scam links and I see women with almost something on featured regularly on the screen etc.
    Safe browsing habits= nothing to worry about.
    @A_A what's the size upload limit for pics?
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.