View Poll Results: Choose your preference:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Game System??

Default Re:Better Game System??

[quote author=owen link=board=11;threadid=829;start=0#msg6938 date=1054243037]
    so consoles are the better gaming platform right? well if you don't or haven't owned a console or have a Geforce 4 FX 5900.
    I'd say that consoles rule except for
    • LAN parties
    • FPS (the mouse is more accurate)
    • strategy games like AOE

[/quote]

NOOOO....you have been tainted from drinking stewphid waters!!! ;D

Consider this:

For the CPU, Xbox has an Intel Pentium III 733 MHz (with 128K cache). A high-end PC in Q4 2001, could have a 1.6 GHz Athlon, a 2 GHz Pentium4, or a dual CPU system of either. PC wins the CPU category.

For memory size, Xbox has unified 64MB.
    High-end PC will have at least 256MB system RAM + 64MB video RAM, totaling to 320MB RAM. PC wins here.

For main memory bandwidth, Xbox has 6.4 GB/s (gigabytes per second) shared with other parts of the system. For the main RAM alone, a high-end PC will have 2.1 GB/s for an Athlon system, 4.2 GB/s on an Athlon system using nForce, or 3.2 GB/s to 4.26 GB/s on a Pentium4 system.
    PC has increased beyond what Xbox can manage.

For the GPU geometry, Xbox has the xGPU that has around 2x the vertex processing power of the current GeForce3.

For the GPU bandwidth, Xbox shares the 6.4 GB/s bandwidth with the rest of the system. A high-end PC will have 8 GB/s (250 MHz 128bit DDR) for video. PC wins this one.

For sound processing, Xbox has Dolby Digital and 64 3D channels. PC has surpassed this.

Based on those hardware specs, PC wins big with CPU speed, memory size, and GPU bandwidth.

[quote author=matronyx link=board=11;threadid=829;start=0#msg6937 date=1054242933]
    So if you had to choose one..... :
    [/quote]

Well for me PC is the best thing, but some games you prefer to play on the tube because of the size of the tv and because the graphics are already sharp like my personal favourite Gran Turismo 3.

Playin it on computer doesnt guarantee any crisper image quality because you cant change the resolution of the gameplay since its not programmed into it. Changing you desktop resolution will only make the game window smaller which is why i prefer to play the game on the tube, its just more comfortable and blah blah blah. (some may disagree but that my opinion and i'm sticking to it)

Well, I will agree that the best system for GT1-3 is the console + tube.
    Would you prefer to play Quake 3 on the console though?
    James Bond on the PS is the worst fps ;D

Remember too that by adding a logitech momo wheel and the works to your pc, games such as CMR2 rocks!!!

Shooters are best played with a mouse and the same goes for Strategy games. But RPG (Role Playing Games not Rocket Propelled Grenades for all you shooter fans) games seem better played on the console because of the predefined points of the game and one button is always used to walk so it beats point and click anyday.

[quote author=matronyx link=board=11;threadid=829;start=0#msg6943 date=1054251474]
    NOOOO....you have been tainted from drinking stewphid waters!!! ;D

Consider this:

For the CPU, Xbox has an Intel Pentium III 733 MHz (with 128K cache). A high-end PC in Q4 2001, could have a 1.6 GHz Athlon, a 2 GHz Pentium4, or a dual CPU system of either. PC wins the CPU category.

For memory size, Xbox has unified 64MB.
    High-end PC will have at least 256MB system RAM + 64MB video RAM, totaling to 320MB RAM. PC wins here.

For main memory bandwidth, Xbox has 6.4 GB/s (gigabytes per second) shared with other parts of the system. For the main RAM alone, a high-end PC will have 2.1 GB/s for an Athlon system, 4.2 GB/s on an Athlon system using nForce, or 3.2 GB/s to 4.26 GB/s on a Pentium4 system.
    PC has increased beyond what Xbox can manage.

For the GPU geometry, Xbox has the xGPU that has around 2x the vertex processing power of the current GeForce3.

For the GPU bandwidth, Xbox shares the 6.4 GB/s bandwidth with the rest of the system. A high-end PC will have 8 GB/s (250 MHz 128bit DDR) for video. PC wins this one.

For sound processing, Xbox has Dolby Digital and 64 3D channels. PC has surpassed this.

Based on those hardware specs, PC wins big with CPU speed, memory size, and GPU bandwidth.
    [/quote]

THANK you for backing up my point so nicely

Posted by: devnull
    Posted on: Yesterday at 03:37:21pm

PC gaming is best because...

The PC is constantly evolving and you can easily have many of its components (Sound Card, Processor, Video Card, Hard Drive, and memory) upgraded for a boost in performance. Once a console is released, it's locked down for its entire lifespan.

The PC is a versatile machine and u can do everything from surf the Web, check email, play music, chat, watch a movie -- as well as play games and multiplayer games on our own screen [no sharing]. BAsically you can multi-task. console gaming is just gaming or playing music or watching a movie, you cant do both or all three at the same time.

Games look better on a PC because VGA monitors and video cards allow higher resolution, and the processing power of the fast PCs, CPUs, and GPUs make games look better on the PC.

Case Closed.

No doubt the pc is the best gaming system available, faster, better graphics and upgradability, could you download skins for your characters on an PS2 or an XBOX, can you get the latest patches for your games, i think not, take enter the matrix for instance, the game is said to be one of the most buggy games out right now, what did the developers do, release a patch for it, but of course only for the PC version, try downloading and installing that for your X-BOX or PS2.

wait am I the only one who voted console? Alright lets see where every bodies perspectives are coming from (and point to note a consoles is technically a pcs so any advances in pc technology also applies to consoles ). I have a psone(well had ) and a gamecube.

How many many of the voters have a console? any console? just to see where your coming from (apart from )

and then theres also the question of whether they're better to play or better to look at.

I have a PS2 and a X-BOX and i play neither of them, my computer is by far a better gaming system that both of them combined, for instance, i have Grand theft auto vice city for PS2 and just got it for PC and by far the PC version is the best game i have played all year, beats the crap out of the PS2 version, same applies for Splinter Cell on X-Box, PC version is bar far better

The PC is constantly evolving and you can easily have many of its components (Sound Card, Processor, Video Card, Hard Drive, and memory) upgraded for a boost in performance. Once a console is released, it's locked down for its entire lifespan.
    - On the flipside, you'll never have to worry about upgrading your hardware/software to make a game run properly. In addition to that, you really don't need tech support for a console.

The truth of the matter is that it is video games that are driving the advancement of PC technology. So there is a very good chance that a new game that comes out will tax your system to the limit. There wouldn't be such a hot race between nVidia and ATI now if it weren't for PC games. Each game that comes out tries to push the hardware harder. There are too many issues to be concerned with when considering the purchase of a game for your PC. For an Xbox, all you check is the reviews, not the system requirements.

So for those folks who just want enjoy the game without worrying about the impact on their system, consoles are the better route. It's prohibitively expensive to mod out one's machine on a quarterly basis like seanbee20 can (we envy you man ;D ). Most people on this site can't afford to do that. Consoles are the most cost effective way to go.

That leads me to another question: How many really good games are there out for PC now in comparison to Consoles? Maybe we should start a new thread on that. The number of good games out for the PC is dwindling rapidly. Consoles are the gaming platform of the future. Every game developer knows that. Tech support is zero. Cross-system compatibility testing is zero. Only one OS platform to cater for. Easy to use programming language.

Have you folks forgotten how many great games were coming out for PC that were redirected at the last minute for a console?

Take Colin McRae Rally 3 for example. I rest my case.

Most popular games come out on the PC as well as the console apart from GT3 but thats ok.

In my post I also stated that you get more bang for your buck, which is getting a whole lot of features such as email capability, music listening capability and just the whole multimedia vibe that is unattainable with a console.

Granted it cost money to upgrade your pc but a person who has a console isnt going to buy all the games made for that console, he/she is only going to buy the games that interest he/she. Whereas on a PC you only have to ask a fellow for the use of his burner while supplying him a blank meium to insert into it (u knwo what I'm talkin about).