Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Webpage Designing

Default Re:Webpage Designing

I've yet to get to play much with DW MX, I'll admit. I just don't like the feel of WYSIWYG tools. I have enough templates to churn out sites by playing in photoshop and changing the stylesheet a bit to be happy enough.

I'm also a firm believer in the idea that the client's needs should direct the form and style of the website -- who will maintain it, what tools are available on the server, who is the target audience.

I know, I'm an old, grumpy webguy, forgive me.

ah yes.. the mix-up between programs you can use for web-design and web-design programs....

If it doesn't allow you to see the code... it's NOT a web-design program...

If it doesn't allow you to work with javascript & php... it's NOT a web-design program...

The root of the earlier onfusion in this thread is exactly the same as the one for the confusion in the Photoshop vs. Fireworks thread...

Web design icludes image-editing, sound-editing, page-layout and PRIMARILY interaction... if the program you're using doesn't allow you to build an element for user feedback into your work (eg: basic hyperlinks).. it's 99% NOT for web-design

having said all that...

With the exception of Notepad, Textpad, Frontpage, Dream weaver, Go live and Flash, What other good webpage design software is out there?
    PageSpinner (for Mac), Fireworks, Swift3D, QuickTime Pro

You raise an interesting point -- the difference between a web design program (or suite), and a web design tool.

Notepad is an excellent tool, but it can't do everything for you in terms of a website. I use photoshop extensively when working on new sites, not so much to mock-up sites as to add bling in terms of visual/graphical elements.

I've been known to use excel to make tables (sometimes, tables are useful!) out of existing data (I get tired of typing </td><td>, but excel's auto-fil works wonders!)

And I'm always up for a quick perlscript or shell script hack to rename/change/etc. my files. (well, as long as I back up first...)

There are lots of other tools that are useful (some firefox extensions, such as the web developer toolbar, Venkman js debugger, etc. come to mind, as well as w3c's Validation services)