Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you recommend Netbook...?

Question A little help with NetBook pls....

So after I had my sis buy an Acer, it was trouble galore, so we switched to a Lenovo, same problems again, so on the third try, we settled on a HP, which worked best out of all three, however, it has started acting up lately...but still working much better than the other 2 before it...here's the issue...

I have noticed that when I go into the Task manager, and check the performance, the CPU usage jumps between 80-100%. It also has over 50 processes running. I have tried stopping some of the startup programs (Skype/yahoo/lightscribe) to see if it would make it startup a bit faster, and i have seen minimal improvements, however, it totally hangs (as it did before) when it starts up, and we have to go to the task manager each time to get the computer to respond...

Can anyone advise on how we can get the system to speed up and to avoid having it hang so much?

Even though it gives some issues, I am still able to speak to her on Skype and Yahoo and she is still able to check emails, but it is just annoying how it hangs up so much!
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

Could you tell us the exact specs because it shouldn't be hanging up with such minor programs what I do when working on slow client machines and what I did to my netbook to get the max I can out of it was to toned down everything this is what you could try. Personally I'm looking the Samsung NC10 as I stated before its what I expected and more would be nice if it was bit faster but its all good I may be able to buy some extra memory for it I think I can add more.

• Right Click On My Computer
    • Choose Properties
    • Click the Advance Tab
    • Then Click Performance
    • Under the Visually Effects Tab Choose "Adjust For Best Performance" Its not going to look as attractive but that attractiveness contributes to the use of processing power
    • Then Choose The Advance Tab then go down to the Virtual Memory section and choose "Change" you will see and figure for initial MB and maximum MB change the initial figure to the maximum figure, select okay for all the windows you had open and for the heck of it restart the computer.
    • After all of that you should see a different in performance.
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Could you tell us the exact specs because it shouldn't be hanging up with such minor programs what I do when working on slow client machines and what I did to my netbook to get the max I can out of it was to toned down everything this is what you could try. Personally I'm looking the Samsung NC10 as I stated before its what I expected and more would be nice if it was bit faster but its all good I may be able to buy some extra memory for it I think I can add more.

• Right Click On My Computer
    • Choose Properties
    • Click the Advance Tab
    • Then Click Performance
    • Under the Visually Effects Tab Choose "Adjust For Best Performance" Its not going to look as attractive but that attractiveness contributes to the use of processing power
    • Then Choose The Advance Tab then go down to the Virtual Memory section and choose "Change" you will see and figure for initial MB and maximum MB change the initial figure to the maximum figure, select okay for all the windows you had open and for the heck of it restart the computer.
    • After all of that you should see a different in performance.
    Hey, thanks...I will try this later today and see how it works and update you...appreciated...
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

Yung_Jah Guest

Well netbooks are slowly fading out...check this link...personally, I wouldn't buy/use one.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hi...48&tag=nl.e101

Quote Originally Posted by angeleta View Post
    So after I had my sis buy an Acer, it was trouble galore, so we switched to a Lenovo, same problems again, so on the third try, we settled on a HP, which worked best out of all three, however, it has started acting up lately...but still working much better than the other 2 before it...here's the issue...

I have noticed that when I go into the Task manager, and check the performance, the CPU usage jumps between 80-100%. It also has over 50 processes running. I have tried stopping some of the startup programs (Skype/yahoo/lightscribe) to see if it would make it startup a bit faster, and i have seen minimal improvements, however, it totally hangs (as it did before) when it starts up, and we have to go to the task manager each time to get the computer to respond...

Can anyone advise on how we can get the system to speed up and to avoid having it hang so much?

Even though it gives some issues, I am still able to speak to her on Skype and Yahoo and she is still able to check emails, but it is just annoying how it hangs up so much!
    Ok! It seems yu have a service problem. Netbooks generally takes more CPU usage per apps to vs a Notebook or desktop due to the power of the Netbook processors.

Anyways. I'd recommend yu go to 1) Computer Manager either by Right clicking Computer/ My Computer from Start Menu and selecting Manager from the content menu, Do the same in Computer/My Computer window

or

2) just type in the command: services.msc in the searchbox/ run box or cmd.

You can then select Services and Application if you choose option 1.

What you should do is look for the services that are running that you won't really need, depending on what you use the Netbook for. Services run in the background and uses extra CPU power you would otherwise use for a much smoother operation of the system if some of the services are not necessary for a stable and functional OS.

These are the services I'd recommend that you Disable if they are already started.

1. BitLocker Drive Encryption Service (if it's already started and you don't use it)

2. Bluetooth Support Service (If it's already started and you don't use it)

3. Certification Propagation Service (If it's already started and you don't have a smart card reader)

4. Distributed Link Tracking Client (If you don't share files from you HDD on a Network)

5. Encrypting File System (If you don't store Encrypted Files on the HDD)

6.Fax Service (If already started and you don't send or recieve fax on the Netbook)

7. Google Update Service (if you prefer to manually update google apps on your Netbook)

8. Printer Spooler (If you not use a printer with the Netbook)

9. Portable Device Emulator Service (if already started and you don't sync portable devices via iTunes, WM Player etc)

10. Windows Error Reporting Service (If already started as this only logs error reports and send to M$)

11. Server (if you don't share files with other computers on a Network)

12. Smart Card (if you don't have any smart card reader/ device on the Netbook)

13. Smart Card Removal Policy (if already enable and you don't use Smart card readers)

14. Tablet PC Input Service (if already started and you don't use Tablet PC devices such as stylus etc,)

15. Windows Media Center Receiver Service (if already started and you don't use a Tv card or listen FM bands on WM Center)

16. Windows Media Center Scheduler Service (if already started and you don't record contents with WM Center)

17. Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (if you don't sync devices to WM Player or share your library over a Network)

You can disable any other updater service for apps like yahoo updater service IF YOU PREFER TO MANUALLY DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL LATER VERSIONS as the program won't be able to detect later versions or when fixes are available.

I wouldn't recommend disabling any other service than what I've recommended above but you can do so at your own risk..... READ THE DESCRIPTIONS FOR THE SERVICES BEFORE DISABLING THEM.

One other thing. Before disabling a service, think about the long term. Think about if you'll ever need the service in the future and what impact it will have on the stability of your system.

Nothing else really gives you a reduced CPU usage beyond default settings if you don't custom choose services.
    LAPTOP:- Alienware M11x C2D @1.7GHz, SATA 300GB HDD, nVidia GT 335M 1GB (dis.), Intel GMA HD-64MB (int.), 2GB DDR3 RAM @1066MHz, 1.3MP webcam Running Windows7 64bit
    MOBILE DEVICE:- SGS3 T999 dual core Qualcom Snapdragon @1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB (int. SD), Adreno 225 GPU, 8MP pri. cam, 1.9MP ff running Stock:4.0.4 UVLH2 modem

Thanks for the detailed info, I had my sis do it last night and she says she notice some improvements...much appreciated guys!
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

i would go with the netbook. if your looking thats is just easy to no or little complications
    Able to flash any psp. Give me a link 3776646
    PSPs hacked: Slim: 134 Phat: 200 3000/Brite: 35(ChickHEN R2/GEN-A)

you could have built a nice pc with the cost of the net book still, but hey im not a fan of laptops or netbooks, they seem to get wrong much more quickly, even the expensive ones, i friend of mine had an xps, one month after the warranty done it was dead in the water, nothing at all, and im concerned abt netboosk that dont have an optical drive, how do u format if u need to and reinstall windows? seems like alot of trouble for the ppl who have no technical skills or some of these girls who buy them becuz they look cute
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

You should have just gotten her a regular laptop, I'm sure she would get to love it.. and using video chat on the netbooks are kinda annoying because of the small screen... and not having a dvd drive kinda sucks because I'm sure one of her friend are gonna have something on a disk that shes going to want... and walking around with a external drive can get a bit annoying as well.... and using a netbook is noooooo different from using a standard laptop just that one is smaller... and I'm sure you could get her a nice one for about $400US..

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by zerodeth View Post
    you could have built a nice pc with the cost of the net book still, but hey im not a fan of laptops or netbooks, they seem to get wrong much more quickly, even the expensive ones, i friend of mine had an xps, one month after the warranty done it was dead in the water, nothing at all, and im concerned abt netboosk that dont have an optical drive, how do u format if u need to and reinstall windows? seems like alot of trouble for the ppl who have no technical skills or some of these girls who buy them becuz they look cute
    Quote Originally Posted by nick98 View Post
    You should have just gotten her a regular laptop, I'm sure she would get to love it.. and using video chat on the netbooks are kinda annoying because of the small screen... and not having a dvd drive kinda sucks because I'm sure one of her friend are gonna have something on a disk that shes going to want... and walking around with a external drive can get a bit annoying as well.... and using a netbook is noooooo different from using a standard laptop just that one is smaller... and I'm sure you could get her a nice one for about $400US..
    Well so far the HP one is not that bad, except that the connection jumps off sometimes and she has to go into the bios to reset it she is gettign used to it and she is now thinking of upgrading to a Laptop..the aim really was to get her to start using a computer-something she swore against initially - and feel comfy doing it...the problems with it in some way kinda helps because it gets her to have to go thru other things she wouldnt need to if she had one that worked like a charm...so its not all bad...in hind sight tho, i think it wouldve been better to get the laptop, but the netbook still helped to achieve what we wanted in the first place! Now to get her to start doing some online tutorials!! lol...
    JA-MEK-I-CAN