Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you recommend Netbook...?

i thought about the dvd thing and thats the reason i really asked the question still, but i realised tht ppl were recommending the netbook more...i am just trying to decide on the best option for her...
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

To be honest, I was thinking on a business level, and probably thats wrong, If its a young adult and newbie, then yes maybe a laptop with all the bells and whistles are for her, but the way I see tech moving DVD, CD are being used less and less and netbooks are the way forward.
    Only we can save us.

ok...so i guess the vote stands with a netbook...ok, cool...now time to search for a decent one at a decent price...i think i am gonna go with an Acer...i have noticed some refurbished ones online....anyone have any opinions of refurbished netbooks? Would you recommend i buy one? Some of the reviews i see on them are quite encouraging too...
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

Quote Originally Posted by angeleta View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing a Netbook for my sister for her to be able to talk to me online (mainly using webcam...she has no experience with computers and therefore i plan to set up everything to start autonatically when she powers up, and show her the basics of how to start the cam etc. My question however is this, would you recommend a netbook for someone with no computer exp, or would it be better i get her a regular laptop?

I am a supporter of netbooks.

I have owned 2 so far, after doing much research:

(1) The Asus Eee PC 900 :

LCD: 8.9 inches, 1024 x 600 pixels
    900 MHz Intel Mobile CPU,
    1 GB RAM,
    16 GB Solid State Drive,
    3-cell battery : about 2 hrs of battery life
    Linux

(2) Acer Aspire one

LCD: 8.9 inches, 1024 x 600 pixels
    1.6 GHz Atom N270
    1 GB RAM,
    160GB hard drive
    6-cell battery : I get up to 6 hrs of battery life
    Windows and Linux (dual boot)

Both are great. I think a netbook can work for your sister. I am a software developer and they have served me well.

I sold the Asus because I got a good offer for it.

- The Asus had a better build than the Acer (as in toughness, durability)

- The Asus had a solid state drive which means that the hard drive is more stable and faster than regular drives.
    But solid state drives tend to have much lower capacities than regular drives because of the expense and technology.

- The Acer had a newer and faster processor: Atom 1.6Ghz (with multithreading)

The most disliked feature that I have found with netbooks in general is that the resolution goes up to 1024x600.
    I would have prefered something like 1024x768 because now and then an application may display a dialog window
    that is more than 600 in height and so you may not see the buttons at the bottom of the window.
    In such cases its annoying especially when the window doesn't allow you to scroll up and down.

So I recommend a netbook. However for me, I recommend:

(a) 2 or more usb ports
    (b) At least an Atom 1.6Ghz processor
    (c) At least 1 Gig of memory
    (d) At least Screen size of 8.9 inches (newer ones now have at 10.1 inches)
    (e) getting an external monitor for easier viewing.
    The screen on the network is okay to work with but after a few hours or when doing intensive work, it gets to you.
    (f) 6-cell battery - longer battery life

I use my Acer netbook as my main computer. I however plug in an external monitor, keyboard and mouse whenever at
    home or office.

Although I do alot of programming (in Linux) on the netbook I must say that serious gamers and other persons who
    use resource intensive applications (eg:- Microsoft products) may need a faster system with lots of memory.

For a beginner though, it should work out fine.
    I recommend Ubuntu

Yung_Jah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MiniKilla View Post
    No is better u buy acer cause Hp netbooks/Laptops gives alot of trouble after a while.
    You think so? I'd say ACER gives alot of trouble too....my work place bought several of these Acer Aspire One....and lets say 7 out of the 15 we ordered started to have some issue. Most of them were not coming up (blank screen).

I have not been around HP netbooks as yet.

So which 1 did u get?

Yeah I have been thinking of getting a Netbook lately so far I have my eyes on the Samsung NC10, Asus Eee PC 1000 Series mainly the other possible options may be the MSI Wind I think its called or something to that extent those are all 10.1-2" Netbooks apparently Acer who had a high dominance in the 8.9" region dropped the ball with their 10.1" lineup.

What do you think of the whole 10.1-2" lineup Roby do you think those are too large, do you think that Notebooks on a whole may possibly being manufactured too close to the size of a Notebook on a whole, also can you change parts such as memory and hard drive of a Netbook?
    Last edited by Anubis; Jul 3, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

I'm in the market for a netbook too. I'm still deciding between the Samsung NC310, the Sony W series and the ASUS 1008HA Seashell.

I like the keyboard on the Samsung and the Sony, not so much on the ASUS.

I like the look of the ASUS so you can imagine my dilemma! LOL

It's a close call between the Samsung and the Sony at the moment, plus the Sony comes in pink too!
    Blackberry 8900 PIN - 25839f4b

Well I read the reviews on all the top Netbooks before I got mine and that was like a month or 2 ago and this was the order:

Samsung NC10
    Asus eEE PC
    Acer Aspire One

And then everything else is below those three

MSI Wind

Dell Mini
    HP (Don't remember the version)

After checking out the reviews I decided to get the Samsung NC10 and its really convenient for me I going to try and get some extra memory for it and drop on Linux or Windows 7 on it and I should be good to go.
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

OK, so I had my sister get the Netbook...we 1st got an Acer, and it was trouble from day one...everything hung up...well given the practices in the good ol' US of A, she has 30 days to return it if she wasnt satisfied...suffice to say we werent...she then took it back and got a Lenovo..BIG MISTAKE!!..the Lenovo was worst, and of course my sis started getting frustrated...anyway, I convinced her to take it back again and this time I had her get a HP...so far the HP has ben great and she is loving it...taught her a few things and now she is so enjoying it...i am happy for her but bwoy, i cant get to do ma sch wk!! Anyway, it was well worth the effort...thanks to the good ol' Skype we can chat every night as long as she is not at wk...and i can get some rest when she is...lol

Thanks all for your help in making this decision tho...appreciated!!! xoxoxo

Quote Originally Posted by London Miss View Post
    I'm in the market for a netbook too. I'm still deciding between the Samsung NC310, the Sony W series and the ASUS 1008HA Seashell.

I like the keyboard on the Samsung and the Sony, not so much on the ASUS.

I like the look of the ASUS so you can imagine my dilemma! LOL

It's a close call between the Samsung and the Sony at the moment, plus the Sony comes in pink too!
    Did you get urs and how is it working out for u?
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 27, 2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    JA-MEK-I-CAN