Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programming: The downsides of Modularity

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    "Modulars" is not a word. This article is about the disadvantages of modularity.
    Isnt it? I beg to differ...Ok so maybe i should have worded it better....but just to clarify wat u said...read here...

Modular programming is a software design technique that increases the extent to which software is composed from separate parts, called modules. Conceptually, modules represent a separation of concerns, and improve maintainability by enforcing logical boundaries between components. Modules are typically incorporated into the program through interfaces. A module interface expresses the elements that are provided and required by the module. The elements defined in the interface are visible to other modules. The implementation contains the working code that corresponds to the elements declared in the interface.

Read the rest here...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modularity_(programming)
    Last edited by angeleta; Jun 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

"Modular" is verb, not a noun and therefore you cannot pluralize it. Hence "modulars" is not a word. You probably could pluralize it but not in that context.

As I said before the article is about "disadvantages". The issue I am discussing is more towards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_design in programming and is specific, as opposed to the general purpose "Modularity" in programming that you linked.

"Modular" is verb, not a noun and therefore you cannot pluralize it. Hence "modulars" is not a word. You probably could pluralize it but not in that context.

As I said before the article is about "disadvantages". The issue I am discussing is more towards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_design in programming and is specific, as opposed to the general purpose "Modularity" in programming that you linked.
    lol...ok so i inadvertently pluralized the wrd, big deal...as a matter of fact replace it with modules if it makes u feel better...tsk..tsk..
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

Don't want to go too far off topic, but modularize is the verb. Modular would be an adjective in the context used. Very good article. As developers there are many tools/methods etc that we have at our disposal but at times we have to make decisions on which is appropriate for the scenario at hand.
    28620899862803482534211706798 pi 101

digimon Guest

...so....yeah,

not to get owen boiling here. Owen i see your point. Maybe you going thru some maintainance on a project now and u see some really stupid function that has got your gears grinding.

This topic is similar to normalization. Some people take that too far. I was looking on a design once and i saw a table for sex. SEX!??! I mean, how many sexes can you have?

Quote Originally Posted by digimon View Post
    ...so....yeah,

not to get owen boiling here. Owen i see your point. Maybe you going thru some maintainance on a project now and u see some really stupid function that has got your gears grinding.
    Actually the problem is specific the misconception which people (aka, non-programmers, programmers, managers, people who buy open source software), who think that because a program is labeled as "modular" automatically means its easy to modify/change.

digimon Guest

oh.

anyways, great thread, great topic, Owen!