Thread: How to get an index value from array and object

Default How to get an index value from array and object

I'm trying to do a routine to update a control's property (the object is in an array) with an event, but I need the index value of that control in an array of identical controls (TextBoxes).

The routine is an EventHandler that was bound to the TextChanged method. I now need a way to get the index value so I can update the right index in an array of strings.

Using C# in Visual Studio.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

The routine is an EventHandler that was bound to the TextChanged method.
    Is it for the TextChanged method for all the text boxes

TextChanged implies

EventHandler(
    object sender,
    EventArgs e
    );

Maybe you can 'for loop' through the array of control textboes until 'sender' equals and element in the array which can givr you index as well.

ie
    for(int i=0; i < all_textboxes.count; i++)
    {
    if (all_textboxes[i].Equals(sender))
    break;
    }

Equals is usually a 'reference' check on objects to see if the same object (instance of a class) is present
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Quote Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
    Is it for the TextChanged method for all the text boxes

TextChanged implies

EventHandler(
    object sender,
    EventArgs e
    );

Maybe you can 'for loop' through the array of control textboes until 'sender' equals and element in the array which can givr you index as well.

ie
    for(int i=0; i < all_textboxes.count; i++)
    {
    if (all_textboxes[i].Equals(sender))
    break;
    }

Equals is usually a 'reference' check on objects to see if the same object (instance of a class) is present
    Thanks. Had set the TabIndex and then Name property to the index value when assigning, then read it in the routine. Thought that this method would be more inefficient as the amount of boxes grew but I think I'll change it.

I'd first made a foreach loop to update everything when the control was closed, but that got sixed when the only event I could find was Disposed and the control data was destroyed by the time the method was called. Isn't there an event triggered when a control is going to be closed/disposed/destroyed?
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;

Thanks. Had set the TabIndex and then Name property to the index value when assigning, then read it in the routine.
    Very nice idea. Perhaps mine is less effiient, I'm not sure.

when the control was closed,
    how is done? Is there any clicking on the control to close it then maybe there is an alternative event you could use.

Isn't there an event triggered when a control is going to be closed/disposed/destroyed?
    I'l try to check it out
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    Isn't there an event triggered when a control is going to be closed/disposed/destroyed?
    Are you not seeing a Disposing event?
    28620899862803482534211706798 pi 101

Quote Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
    how is done? Is there any clicking on the control to close it then maybe there is an alternative event you could use.
    Its a user control, basically composed of a TableLayoutPanel with a number of labels and textboxes added at runtime. I was seeking a way to call a routine when the control is about to be destroyed (so I'd grab and store the textbox .Text data at this time), but I can't find any events that facilitate this.

Quote Originally Posted by recursion View Post
    Are you not seeing a Disposing event?
    Can't use the Disposed (and there's no Disposing) event; when it finally calls the routine, the textbox objects in the array have already been destroyed.
    Last edited by Skele Drew; May 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM.

im assuming is windows forms, there is a closing event on forms. or you can do the update when the user leaves the individual input control.

the inputs are in a container, there is a leave event on this, put the button/control that triggers the 'commit' outside this container. this will effectively allow you to update just before the inputs are disposed.

this sort of problem is easily defeated with data binding.
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein