Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CompTIA A+ Quiz #1

Default CompTIA A+ Quiz #1

You are configuring a computer system that will be used for checking e-mail and creating documents using Microsoft Office Word. You are currently in the process of gathering RAM for the computer. You know that the front side bus speed of the motherboard is 66MHz, but you only have two sticks of PC133 SDRAM. Performance for this computer is not an issue but the computer system has to be operational. If possible, you would like to limit new hardware costs. At what speed will the RAM run? Choose the best option(s) from those listed below.

a) 133MHz
    b) 256MHz
    c) 66MHz
    d) 266MHz

(Answer will be posted on Monday.)
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

the answer to the question is....a) 133MHz

I choose A also .....
    Current: LG Nexus 5 - Digicel
    Retired: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

. . .
    . .
    After a bit of research and logic, I'll choose 66MHz (c). Logic being that there's no way that memory data can transfer data faster than its medium. Just like how you can't expect a straw to carry as much water as a hose at the same rate...

I think persons should be giving reasons for their answer; or maybe this would make it too easy for others to weed out the correct answer.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Skele you just made me second guess my answer star..

here is my logic, not gonna cheat and google it.

i chose A) 133mhz because memory can run synchronously and asynchronously (nowadays)
    where you have your FSB @ 66mhz but memory dividers to set the speed. 1:1, 4:3 etc (sync)
    i was assuming the motherboard supports the 1:2 ratio allowing the memory to run @ it's rated speed of 133.

i started second guessing myself cause i couldn't remember if sdram era supported this, or if i was mixing this up with DDR its double data rate..

either way.. very nice thread Ramesh - i love quizzes
    Last edited by BlaqMale; Apr 26, 2009 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlaqMale View Post
    Skele you just made me second guess my answer star..

here is my logic, not gonna cheat and google it.

i chose A) 133mhz because memory can run synchronously and asynchronously (nowadays)
    where you have your FSB @ 66mhz but memory dividers to set the speed. 1:1, 4:3 etc (sync)
    i was assuming the motherboard supports the 1:2 ratio allowing the memory to run @ it's rated speed of 133.

i started second guessing myself cause i couldn't remember if sdram era supported this, or if i was mixing this up with DDR its double data rate..

either way.. very nice thread Ramesh - i love quizzes
    I don't see it as cheating. i see it as proving/disproving my hypothesis. The results I got were pretty complicated to me anyway, so it didn't help much. Think is, I'm not a hardware buff - yet.

But some of the stuff I found says the RAM will usually slow (but can't increase) to FSB speed, and SDRAM can run at several speeds, incl 66MHz. That finalized it for me, cuz I was really batting back and forth.

I like the quizzes too. Great opportunity to learn new stuff or test what you think you already know. I might post some myself.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

As I said before, I'll post the answer tomorrow. My previous Quizzes had a poll for the answer(s) - I forgot to do that this time. Once I disclose the answer I will close this thread and start a new one with another question.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    I don't see it as cheating. i see it as proving/disproving my hypothesis. The results I got were pretty complicated to me anyway, so it didn't help much. Think is, I'm not a hardware buff - yet.

But some of the stuff I found says the RAM will usually slow (but can't increase) to FSB speed, and SDRAM can run at several speeds, incl 66MHz. That finalized it for me, cuz I was really batting back and forth.

I like the quizzes too. Great opportunity to learn new stuff or test what you think you already know. I might post some myself.
    by cheating i meant googling the answer before giving yours.
    imagine an exam, you can't run go get your textbook
    you take the test then check your answer

maybe i have an advantage but im in tech where rigs are concern plus i did the CompTIA A+ so hey, there i go!....ps.didnt hav to do any research, but anyway, lets see 2mro