Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking - alternatives

Default Networking - alternatives

Why is everyone using and developing for UTP ethernet networking when SUPER-FAST alternatives like Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 exist?

Couple frenz ran a game of Quake and Counter-Strike via USB connection and I can tell.. LAGLESS!!! why aren't there hubs and switches and more implementation of these technologies in netwoking.

Imagine running a Firewire 800 network? 800Mbps.... das what I call speed!!!

Default Re:Networking - alternatives

Standards my friend, standards. The ethernet standard has caught on and most persons, especially corporate clients, prefer a standardised solution rather than an alternative that may give them problems supporting and being compatible with. Besides, are all these alternatives fully Internet ready? Also, with Gigabit ethernet making its rounds, those who desire greater speed with a standardised product can now get it.

+ most firms still use nt4, which is a terrible OS for usb or any other device to configure.

maybe cost of deploying may be an issue as well.
    How much does a 15ft usb cable cost versus a 15ft ethernet cable?

not only is that a valid point pigeon but u remind me of another. usb cables would have to have repeaters far more often than ethernet. i know ethernet goes to 100meters, what does usb goes to?

Yes deakie, that's a valid point about the length of the cables. Here's what USB.ORG has to say:

How long of a cable can I use to connect my device?

In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

Can you imagine wiring an office building for USB networking? :-\

Futhermore, here's another extract that basically answers any question about using USB for setting up a LAN.

What if I want to network a whole bunch of PCs together with USB?

If you need to connect just a few machines, USB bridges and a hub or two will work. USB was not designed to be a LAN, however, and there are certain safety hazards associated with trying to use USB with large numbers of PCs. There's also a large performance penalty compared to a real LAN. If you need a LAN, use a technology intended to be used as a LAN, such as Ethernet.

You can read more about USB Cables, Connectors, and Networking with USB at http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5

thanks chris.. i'll check the firewire info for this as well

want real network speed don't use firewire....
    Set up a "firehose" network.

http://heroinewarrior.com/firehose.php3

yes...the safety issue is something we cannot overlook. with each usb port supplying 20mAmps unto the cables, we could have any ring or star setups without heavy current issues. if something should short then its kaput for the port on either device.
    yep, ethernet or fibre.
    With the advent of photonic technology, we will see far more network through put in coming years as these devices are introduced unto the market. they hope that they will make light switches and these would no doubt speed things up a bit.
    we'll see.

NT4 does'nt support USB...Gigabyte ethernet should do the trick...