Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why intels pentium 4 was an epic fail

Default why intels pentium 4 was an epic fail

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1787/

Not surprising the Pentium 4 needs quite a boost in clock speed before it is able to convincingly beat the Athlon 64 FX55, at a clock speed of no less than 5.2GHz there’s no doubt about who takes the performance crown. And yes, that’s double the clock speed of the Athlon 64 FX55 processor which runs at a mere 2.6GHz. It has to be said though that reaching a 5.2GHz clock speed isn’t for the faint of heart; the motherboard chipset and memory run at their highest supported voltages and are cooled by a plethora of fans to keep them cool. The processor, running at maximum core voltage, is interfaced with the receiving end of a 1/2 hp compressor which releases high pressure R507 gas in the evaporator bringing the temperature down to a freezing -40 degrees Celsius
    the amd was running at stock speeds i believe

Last edited by phenom; Apr 24, 2009 at 12:12 AM.

what i remember about those days was how the roles got switched AMD had the $1000 CPUs and intels never passed $300

you couldn't mention intel to me dem days deh

...? Come on Phenom. The Athlon 64 was always better than the P4, everyone knows that.
    I use a i3 laptop that runs World Community Grid all day.
    Crow: 316-2855 (LIME) Xfire: Napalmphoenix

lol a 2.6ghz vs 5.2ghz lol @crow

@ blaqmale amm intel always had there extreme expensive editions what are u talking bout

Quote Originally Posted by phenom View Post

@ blaqmale amm intel always had there extreme expensive editions what are u talking bout
    no yute.. when amd was kicking them in the teeth and microsoft side with them for win xp, and 64bit was mention in a few whispers.. intel was in the bucket.. amd had $500 + $100 FX chips and intel had nothing better to do than lower price on everything.. don't know about server stuff but i vaguely remember noticing that intel had no chip over a certain price range.. all that stop though and roles reversed..

i don't even know how i'd prove that so whatever.. dash weh all my pc magazines dem.

i remember this though cause i remember $1000 AMD FX chips selling for $80 some time after when the empire crumbled LOL

ur talking the fx 51 when it first came out

u need to remember when the 775's came out they were competing vs 754

it took a while before amd could make a dual channel memory controller in side the cpu
    they did eventually but for the mean time the first FX athlon the 51 was socket 940 aka a server chip that used ecc ddr400

tho later down the line they eventually made 939 and the crazy prices went down

both chip makers to me took this too far

but yes amd did cause it by using a server chip in the desktop market and it shouldnt have continued up after it went into socket 939

but intel decided to keep using the EE moniker and just kept making 1000us chips cause aparently they have a market for it :S

yeah that sounds about right..

Quote Originally Posted by BlaqMale View Post
    yeah that sounds about right..
    rofl pezz should take notes blaqmale agree's n no links needed to be posted

from what I remember intel always had the more expensive cpu line up
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

rofl pezz should take notes blaqmale agree's n no links needed to be posted

anybody else notice a big difference between between Phenom and Pe.. when they post

Phenom you are so much more credible and i can respect your posts.
    you are so much more deserving of the title Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    from what I remember intel always had the more expensive cpu line up
    only thing i not sure about is the Intel EE chips, i remember them always being overpriced but i think i recall the prices dropping on them from strong AMD competition.. i vaguely recall people on techja buying them as well.. but whatever that history and tomorrow is a mystery

whoever has the faster chips have the most expensive chips.. when AMD is on they Price gouge, Intel is arguably more famous for it
    Last edited by BlaqMale; Apr 24, 2009 at 05:24 PM.