Thread: Challenge

Default Challenge

sorry - no prizes... the most that'll come of this challenge is a handy tip

I did an on-site freebie today. It took me nearly an hour :'( to figure out and 2 minutes (or less) to fix. Now becuase I know I aint the tops at hardware I'm gonna see if any of my genius friends on this board can figure it out. Below is all the information I had to work with:

A clone machine had been upgraded from 98 to 2k in order to run in a network environment. The machine was given to an employee who inadvertently locked the machine and didn't know the pass... this caused the HD to have to be scrubbed and 2k re-installed. After re-install the monitor is behaving *odd*. Odd = a horizontal version of setting the VHOLD on an older TV to max (15 mouse pointers and everything else).

The plot thickens - when detached.. the monitor displays perfectly on another machine, AS WELL AS, another monitor displays perfectly when attached to the tower. Meaning, neither monitor nor pc have any easily identifiable problems. HOWEVER.. as soon as the two are attached the display goes back to the horizontal VHOLD effect.

note: all drivers are loaded and working, and the display is fine in safe mode. Unistalling the present driver simply results in a blank screen.. NOT an autodetect and re-install.

post your ideas and I'll tell you what worked

Default Re:Challenge

i had this before. for me it was the refresh rate of the monitor.
    i fixed the refresh rate low in safe mode and when i rebooted, then set the proper mode.
    failing that, you can delete the drivers in safe mode and let windy's boot with its own drivers then install the cards drivers afterwards. ;D

actually, if you feeling really lazy, you can use the buttons on your keybaord to do it. as long as you rember how to get to the drivers settings.

oookkkkk... guess i shoulda offered a prize...

- deakie - that was the first thing i tried... when i did that the monitor just went blank

- so here it is -

the monitor was old and didn't support plug n play tech.. so I went and enabled VGA mode on 2k and it worked fine.

lol....so what mode was it in the first place?

i guess SVGA deakie ... i'm actually gonna look into that....

it seems that svga has a particular set o drivers that aren't backwards compatible...

there were a couple things i noted...

b4 when i plugged the later model monitor in under displays in the device manager it read Plug n Play monitor

then when i enabled vga and plugged in the old monitor the device manager said Default monitor

what I do know is that VGA mode seems to be a BASE set of configs that allow a display independent of the vid card drivers -

why? in default mode (whatever that was) when you go to the display properties dialog it only showed to rezs 640 and 800

in vga mode it showed up to 1240 (or should that be 1280) ... not 800.. thought it would only change to 800

anyone wit a little hardware know-how that can hlp feel free..

[quote author=GodKid link=board=3;threadid=801;start=0#msg6364 date=1053818955]
    sorry - no prizes... the most that'll come of this challenge is a handy tip

I did an on-site freebie today. It took me nearly an hour :'( to figure out and 2 minutes (or less) to fix. Now becuase I know I aint the tops at hardware I'm gonna see if any of my genius friends on this board can figure it out. Below is all the information I had to work with:

A clone machine had been upgraded from 98 to 2k in order to run in a network environment. The machine was given to an employee who inadvertently locked the machine and didn't know the pass... this caused the HD to have to be scrubbed and 2k re-installed. After re-install the monitor is behaving *odd*. Odd = a horizontal version of setting the VHOLD on an older TV to max (15 mouse pointers and everything else).

The plot thickens - when detached.. the monitor displays perfectly on another machine, AS WELL AS, another monitor displays perfectly when attached to the tower. Meaning, neither monitor nor pc have any easily identifiable problems. HOWEVER.. as soon as the two are attached the display goes back to the horizontal VHOLD effect.

note: all drivers are loaded and working, and the display is fine in safe mode. Unistalling the present driver simply results in a blank screen.. NOT an autodetect and re-install.

post your ideas and I'll tell you what worked
    [/quote]

Resolution to high

so that means w2k boots with a high res. you would have thought as part of the system check it would have seen the outdated kit attached.

tell me godkid, which ole 14" u did connect up to it? ;D :P

it was an Optiquest .. suppm or di odder