Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP Auto log off

Yung_Jah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kev4eva View Post
    its a virus...reparing the installation wont help i have seen tht countless times try wininternals on it an boot from it
    So did this work for you? Using Wininternals? If so...I am hoping to start using this, so that I don't have to ever fall into backing up and formatting...

Quote Originally Posted by BlaqMale View Post
    how about doing a repair install instead of a fresh?
    Base on experience on couple system....the REPAIR option did not work...I had to back up and format the drive. It did not have anything to do with Activation at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jah_ute View Post
    thanks guys for the replies, what i did was to put her hard drive in another system an backed up her data, an did a clean installation..

answer to your questions;

It wasn't a genuine copy of XP thats for sure

i tried running the XP Installation to do a repair but funny enough i didn't get the repair option, dunno y

but reinstalled an ting it working alright now, i guess until she mess it up again
    You said you did not see the Repair option...was it a SATA Hard Drive? Were you using the correct CD? I mean....I do not know if there is a bootleg XP Home out there...but for sure there are alot of XP Pro (modified and non-modified).

I have realize that a modified XP Pro that I have did not show "previous windows installed, hence no REPAIR option)...so who knows if she had a modified version.

But good that you got through...

i've found that the repair option is not available if.. eg. the system has xp sp3 and your disk is non sp3, same goes for using a sp3 disk on a sp2 system.

but yeah, not wasting your time and just backing up and doing a fresh install was the best choice. (just hope the end-user isn't too inconvenienced)

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Yeah it could be the windows validation at work unless this person has a legal copy of windows

You can try repairing the MBR (Master Boot Record) or table I don't remember the specific name for it but you can do that from dos before it reaches the Windows Log On screen
    This is usually for when the machine don't boot.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=348

A search turned up something interesting.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...ant-logon.html

Your profile is screwed. Log in as administrator, create a new user, then using the wizard copy your old profile to your new one.
    This sounds like good advice. Use a utility to change the XP ADMINISTRATOR password. PM me and I'll point you in the right direction - or Google LINUX NTFS PASSWORD and sift through the results.

If it's HOME, or some versions of PRO - depending on how it was setup - you may need to boot into SAFE MODE, and press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice to bring up the manual login, then put in ADMINISTRATOR and enter the password you changed. If you know the password it makes life easier.

From there you can do what was suggested. Create a new profile, then copy the old one to it using the wizard.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

You said you did not see the Repair option...was it a SATA Hard Drive? Were you using the correct CD? I mean....I do not know if there is a bootleg XP Home out there...but for sure there are alot of XP Pro (modified and non-modified).

I have realize that a modified XP Pro that I have did not show "previous windows installed, hence no REPAIR option)...so who knows if she had a modified version.

But good that you got through...
    Yes it is a SATA Hard drive, i used the correct windows cd and also i tried running a boot cd on it because i wanted to bypass removing the hard drive to back it up, but it wouldnt boot from the cd, each time i tried i got a BSOD with error code 0x0000007B. I did a research on it tho found out To rectify this problem, you have to get into the BIOS, find the SATA Menu and change in to Legacy mode (or ATA mode).OR just disable AHCI. (in AHCI menu) after doing that it ran ok
    Last edited by ramesh; Apr 24, 2009 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlaqMale View Post
    i've found that the repair option is not available if.. eg. the system has xp sp3 and your disk is non sp3, same goes for using a sp3 disk on a sp2 system.

but yeah, not wasting your time and just backing up and doing a fresh install was the best choice. (just hope the end-user isn't too inconvenienced)
    Well not really she admitted to messing it up so she didnt mind waiting, 1 question what would cause the repair option to not be available even tho its the same version of windows, because she was running Windows XP Poffessional SP2 and i know my SP2 is ok so could the Operating system got messed up pretty bad for that to happen?