Thread: Ubuntu 8.10 multiple display?

Default Ubuntu 8.10 multiple display?

Does anyone know how to get multiple display to work in ubuntu 8.10. Interested in secondary display via s-video to television. Video card is nvidia with drivers installed. Reading suggests that this file called xorg.conf would have to be edited but that does not create the multiple display. Any ideas?

Um.... Well this is what I do...

Go into system, and then the nvidia app. (u should have it if you have updated to the latest drivers) When you go into the nvidia app go to x configuration and then you will see your display and the current resolution.

Anyway, look under that and you will see detect displays. Press that and it will detect your second display. Click the second display and then you will get an option as to either xtend the desktop and twinview (or something like that). Pick what you want, apply it and you should be good. I'd do screenies but i'm not on my pc

edit: and in case it doesnt apply you may need to restart x... i think the command is ctrl+alt+f1?... dont quote me on the command.
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

oh and maybe is just me, but i find it works better when both devices are set to the same resolution... it transfers across better... when they are different it looks kinda messed up.... but maybe is just me
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

yup, I use nvidia-settings as well and it works fine.