Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: Cpu overclock

remember that the problem isnt bulldozer, per se.

Quote from http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ad-performance

Before we dig into the CPU’s architecture, however, there’s an OS factor to discuss. According to AMD, Windows 7 doesn’t understand Bulldozer’s resource allocation very well. Windows 7 “sees” eight independent CPU cores, despite the fact that each module shares scheduling and execution resources. Sometimes it makes the most sense to spin threads off to idle cores before scheduling them on cores already busy with something else. Other times, it’s best to spin two related threads off to the same core. Windows 8 will apparently be much more proficient at scheduling work loads where it makes the most sense to execute them.

This issue has a practical impact on the CPU’s performance because of the way AMD’s Turbo Core is implemented. The new flavor of Turbo Core is meant to increase maximum clock speed by up to two speed grades if only four cores are enabled. Since Windows 7 doesn’t understand which cores to turn off, however, the CPU is less likely to increase its clock speed as high as it otherwise would. “Turbo” speeds were originally introduced by Intel as a way to squeeze more performance out of lightly-threaded or single-threaded workloads, but Bulldozer’s architecture makes those extra megahertz particularly important.

More info here:

1. http://www.guru3d.com/news/microsoft...ate-windows-7/

2. http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...good_news.html
    Last edited by KevinP; Jun 3, 2012 at 11:40 PM.

yeah man i read all a dat trus me there is almost nuttn i nuh read bout BD cause me n pezz where lookin to upgrade to the 8150 prior to release. but yo OS can hinder performance only so much and no more for OS to be a Great factor the performance gains would have to be at least 40% in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx17 View Post
    boy i naa hold my breath again yaa man AMD let me down bigtime with BD ill w8 till Piledriver drops then Intel Answers then make a decision after that
    lol mi fi tell hence why I went Ivy Bridge... and its nice yow!!! Still rate AMD though... but Intel gave me a better Bang for my buck... especially when it comes to the power usage department.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
    remember that the problem isnt bulldozer, per se.

Quote from http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ad-performance

Before we dig into the CPU’s architecture, however, there’s an OS factor to discuss. According to AMD, Windows 7 doesn’t understand Bulldozer’s resource allocation very well. Windows 7 “sees” eight independent CPU cores, despite the fact that each module shares scheduling and execution resources. Sometimes it makes the most sense to spin threads off to idle cores before scheduling them on cores already busy with something else. Other times, it’s best to spin two related threads off to the same core. Windows 8 will apparently be much more proficient at scheduling work loads where it makes the most sense to execute them.

This issue has a practical impact on the CPU’s performance because of the way AMD’s Turbo Core is implemented. The new flavor of Turbo Core is meant to increase maximum clock speed by up to two speed grades if only four cores are enabled. Since Windows 7 doesn’t understand which cores to turn off, however, the CPU is less likely to increase its clock speed as high as it otherwise would. “Turbo” speeds were originally introduced by Intel as a way to squeeze more performance out of lightly-threaded or single-threaded workloads, but Bulldozer’s architecture makes those extra megahertz particularly important.

More info here:

1. http://www.guru3d.com/news/microsoft...ate-windows-7/

2. http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...good_news.html
    Read all of that and more... its the way windows sees the cores etc etc they released a patch for windows 7 and the performance improvement was still in the very low low single digits %. Then you have to take in the power usage as well... Don't get me wrong but it does its job well, but doesn't perform as it should have. Hopefully they redeem themselves with Piledriver. However I am definately going AMD Trinity for my next laptop!!!

yeah man i read all a dat trus me there is almost nuttn i nuh read bout BD cause me n pezz where lookin to upgrade to the 8150 prior to release. but yo OS can hinder performance only so much and no more for OS to be a Great factor the performance gains would have to be at least 40% in my book
    Bottom line bulldozer didn't live up to its name.

@ King_jay tho this may not be the thread for it tell me whats up with the trinity chips anything new? i been reading bout them but dont know what the fuss is about

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    Read all of that and more... its the way windows sees the cores etc etc they released a patch for windows 7 and the performance improvement was still in the very low low single digits %. Then you have to take in the power usage as well... Don't get me wrong but it does its job well, but doesn't perform as it should have. Hopefully they redeem themselves with Piledriver. However I am definately going AMD Trinity for my next laptop!!!

This is pretty much what happened with the 1st gen Phenom CPUs. Great idea, bad execution.

Knowing AMD they'll get it sorted out, thing is they may again find themselves in a similar situation where by the time they do get it sorted it's too late. However, AMD did say that they are not competing with Intel anymore so we'll see how that really plays out...

@ King_jay tho this may not be the thread for it tell me whats up with the trinity chips anything new? i been reading bout them but dont know what the fuss is about
    Better performance, low power usage, lower heat output, better gpu which leads to lower price ultra books (very thing laptops) with bad*** battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
    This is pretty much what happened with the 1st gen Phenom CPUs. Great idea, bad execution.

Knowing AMD they'll get it sorted out, thing is they may again find themselves in a similar situation where by the time they do get it sorted it's too late. However, AMD did say that they are not competing with Intel anymore so we'll see how that really plays out...

Yup pretty much... Intel is moving pretty fast so AMD has limited time to get their act together and get back in the game