Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF free alternative to DeepFreeze

Default LF free alternative to DeepFreeze

I'm trying to find a FOSS that is basically a clone or has similar features as faronics deepfreeze http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp any suggestions? I know of windows steadystate are there any others
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

no suggestions ppl????
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

Nice little program there Python I read the link but I'm not too sure if I understood what it does. What does it keeps the OS on a sepearate location from the rest of your files so that if any errors occur only the OS section is affected and not your files and such?
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Nice little program there Python I read the link but I'm not too sure if I understood what it does. What does it keeps the OS on a sepearate location from the rest of your files so that if any errors occur only the OS section is affected and not your files and such?
    Sounds to me like what it does is prevent easy writing to critical files except at certain times and conditions. Makes me think of Sandboxie which I use. When you box an app with it, that app and any files associated with it can't write to the drives/registry in a normal fashion. It "quarantines" everything run in it without those apps running normal. I use it to test untrusted/temporary software. Have tried using it to actually test-RUN malware on my system, but most of them just crash .

Best thing about it for me is that you don't have to backup your current stuff or otherwise use any extra space.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

well what the software allows u to do is revert to the installed state each time it restarts. so u install a machine with all the apps and updates and such then u install the app and enable disk protection i think it is. so when persons install applications or transfer unknowingly viri and adware to the machine those changes arent retained when the pc is restarted.

http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfre...ation#vertical
    Deep Freeze makes it easy for IT administrators to create bulletproof computer labs that deliver trouble-free computing to instructors and students. Deep Freeze ensures that students are able to use public access computers with the assurance that their session will be free from accidental system misconfiguration, malicious software activity, and incidental system degradation. Personal information is never retained by the computer, which means IT personnel don’t need to worry about desktop computers becoming congested with student projects and files. Computing environments become easier to manage, and expensive computer assets are kept running at 100% capacity.
    Last edited by lovepython; Apr 12, 2009 at 03:16 PM.

Some suggestions.

What I use is a backup file of my partition once I install Windows, drivers, and essential software - NERO - ALCOHOL - OFFICE - AV/AS - ETC - and then image. The image is about 4Gb using PARAGON HARD DISK MANAGER, which skips all auxiliary OS files that would make the disk image bigger. Then I both burn to DVD and have on a separate partition. If I need to restore, I can boot and restore from the DVD, or boot and restore from the HDD.

Another option is to use a system snapshot utility. I believe the name of the app is RETURNIL, and a friend had told me of a utility he uses before an install. I think it's close to what you're looking for, and the PERSONAL EDITION is free.

Outside of those two options, you have VIRTUALBOX or MS - VIRTUAL PC. You can use either one to run your tests in a sandboxed environment so you don't mess up your stuff when you do testing.

Your last option - if it's something like a CYBER CAFE where you don't want the customers messing up the environment - is something like ANYWHERE TS.

Hopefully one of the solutions I've posted will help your case. Let us know if anything here did.
    Last edited by khat17; Apr 12, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

my environment it a high school lab..well 5 to be exact with 40 computers in each. I'm already running a clone server which i use to install all the machines. i install one machine with required apps and updates then clone that machine using pxe boot and using pxe boot as well to deploy the others.

So what are your reasons for wanting an alternative? Did the users find a way to bypass it? Evaluation time expired? Or what? Got some extended info on it. The answer could help determine if there are even better solutions out there...
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

well i am not using the app now cause i cant put illegal application on the machines nd the school not gonna spend US$2000+ to purchase the license for the software. thats why i'm now trying to find something that will work.

None of the solutions listed were worth looking into? What about RETURNIL?
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".