Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Viruses On The Rise - AGAIN

the latest windows updates includes an update that disallow the autorun of flash drives,so ms is catching up with the autorun trojans, fake anti vir is less prevalent,than the autorun trojans in my part of world,particularly cuz not everyone have high speed internet or internet at all,but everybody use a flash drive
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Thats y i only use av that i trust over the years. currently using avast and its working great so fat plus i got a program called autorun virus remover that deletes any autorun exe when i drive is inserted into the pc.

Quote Originally Posted by d_genius View Post
    Thats y i only use av that i trust over the years. currently using avast and its working great so fat plus i got a program called autorun virus remover that deletes any autorun exe when i drive is inserted into the pc.
    If you have the latest updates you dont need that program

Quote Originally Posted by d_genius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    If you have the latest updates you dont need that program
    Even though Avira has arguably the best AV engine/detection/cleaning than the others, their methods are somewhat archaic. I walked into a tech store where they are using Avira and decided to print something after doing some browsing - the tech tells me that my thumb drive is infected because I have an autorun file. I have two things that I use autoruns with - either my password manager (Roboform) or my portable apps - this time it was my portable apps drive. I proceeded to explain this to the tech who then did not listen and wanted to charge me to "remove the virus from my thumb drive" - honestly I don't know if the story should go here or in the jokes section.

Anyways - I like Avast and Bit Defender. Avast is light and has a nice interface with good overall performance. BD does a good job and has varying interfaces based on what kind of user you tell the program you are(Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced). After much testing I went with Avast as a purchased solution and have a license for 3 PC's for a year. So my machines are good for now. Moved from ZAISS because of major issues with Alcohol.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

lol he charged you-were u remanded in costudy as wel?that aint a tech, thats a noob,i guess everyone who goes in that store with a sandisk flash drive wil be charged.sorry but he wouldnt be gettin a red cent from i

Think maybe I'll change the topic to include spyware. Recently I was testing out some stuff - without sandbox. I know, I know, don't hit me for it. So this new "search protect" variant got on my system and refused to be removed. No amount of deleting or anything would get it out. Ended up formatting at 3:00PM - back into Windows by 3:15PM - currently reinstalling software. Need to practice what I preach and make a current backup. Had one but it's kinda old so made sense to just reinstall. Thank goodness Linux don't get these garbages. Just now I may need to play over some games..........
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Just last month I got a spyware/adware that would cause me to not be able to get any network connection, because it caused it to have some kind of limited connectivity and kept showing that yellow triangle on the network icon in the task bar (Win7x64).

I was starting to worry that I would have to format, as my system restore never solved problem. I then noticed that in task manager one of the svhost kept using up more than 90% of my CPU, wth!

So I killed it and woe and behold I was able to get on internet, well for a while till it regenerated itself.

So I did a few google searches on my smartphone and was reminded that I could just right click the process and open the file location of the culprit .

So was able to delete the svhost that was sitting there in my temp folder, with the help of my Antivirus(Avira Antivir), which actually detected it before and removed, but not sure how it came back on.

Course by the time I reboot and loading up Windows again problem started again, so I checked my add/remove programs and saw some programs installed recently that I never installed(go figure). One of them was even some kinda firewall program, which I'm sure was the culprit so I removed them and internet was good again but svhost kept regenerating every time I restart.

So I got the Malware bytes and adware remover software and found quite a number of spywares/adwares that was definitely my issue and system is back to normal again.

I think I might have gotten some of them from the systems requirements lab website, as it has a desktop detector that is an exe file and it never worked for me when I installed it. To think that site is supposed to be spyware and virus free, but hey could just be me.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

I suggest you don't let customers/people use "admin" accounts as their main usage account. setup a separate regular account for them to use so that its harder for them or their relatives to install viruses (well of course you have to tell them the password, but you could make it very long and put it on a sticker on the side of the computer case. )