Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology

Default Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology

What's with the new Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology?

I saw the tv ads but couldn't figure what exactly the Centrino was all about so I went to Intel's website to find out. In a nutshell, here's what I found out (extract):

"With Intel Centrino mobile technology, three components work together to deliver a breakthrough in freedom and connectivity. These components include the Intel® Pentium® M processor, the Intel® 855 Chipset Family and the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 network connection."

I just thought I'd share this new found knowledge ;D

Default Re:Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology

Just some additional Info:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Centrino is a technology package from Intel that provides built-in wireless support for laptop computers while making it possible to run a laptop all day (up to seven hours) without a battery recharge. Through Centrino, Intel hopes to encourage corporations and users to replace their current laptops with a newer, more mobile version. Analysts suggest that a more mobile laptop may in time replace the desktop computer as well.

The Centrino package consists of:

The Pentium M processor
    The 855 chipset Family
    The PRO/Wireless network connection
    In addition to a 400 MHz system bus and a 1 MB L2 cache, the M processor has the ability to use only the voltage that applications demand. The 855 Chipset supports up to 2 GB of double data rate (DDR) memory and USB 2.0 for faster data transfer. The PR/Wireless connection supports Wi-Fi (802.11b) and power functions designed to maximize battery life.

One industry commentator reports an experience of up to seven hours of battery-supported use on an IBM Thinkpad.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh boy, now I have to resist the temptation to sell my notebook and get one with the Centrino™ mobile technology :P

Ok, so now the Centrino™ chip has a problem. Chipmaker Intel acknowledged that a software incompatibility may cause problems for people trying to use a Centrino-based notebook with a virtual private network.

Rigourous testing huh ??? Sounds more like rush-to-market.

Here's an update Intel fixes Centrino glitch

Default Re: Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology

heres something that has been bugin me, i' realize that the intel centrino processor speeds are generally around this area 1.3 - 1.8 well thats waht i mostly see or hear about. what i wanna know is whats the equivalence in pentium cause i'm sure i heard something like that a 1.3 centrino is like a 2 gig+ pentium 4 does ne body have ne light to shed on that i've always wondered.

Quote Originally Posted by death_knight
    heres something that has been bugin me, i' realize that the intel centrino processor speeds are generally around this area 1.3 - 1.8 well thats waht i mostly see or hear about. what i wanna know is whats the equivalence in pentium cause i'm sure i heard something like that a 1.3 centrino is like a 2 gig+ pentium 4 does ne body have ne light to shed on that i've always wondered.
    2 GHz Centrino will beat a P4 2.6 in most benchmarks
    /insert witty comment [here]...

respect oe

I got a 1.3 GHz Centrino... just thought i'd mention that :-)
    Nothing Lasts Forever

intel's wifi is not good it is better to get one with a pentium m and built in 802.11g