Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IPAQ vs. Toshiba PocketPC

Default Re:IPAQ vs. Toshiba PocketPC

[quote author=Cultus.... link=board=3;threadid=79;start=0#msg3819 date=1048026788]
    Well peeps, I prefer the IPaq, but don't you think thaT the Palm is loaded with more accessories, and I mean when it comes on to free software, you surely will have a huge library to choose from with the Palm OS. You know that microsoft is all about paying for software.....just my opinion.
    [/quote]

You're right about that Cultus. You'll easily find many more accessories for the Palms than for the iPAQs.

Also, don't get me wrong. If all you want is to keep track of your personal info like addresses, calendar, etc. I think that the Palms will do a better, simpler job than the Pocket PCs. However, for versatility and power, the Pocket PCs/Linux handhelds are the way to go.

I are a poweruser. I need versatility and power. Even if it won't fit in my pocket. But come to think of it, that kinda nullfies the point of calling it a PocketPC - wouldn't it? :

If you are a poweruser and a serious programmer get a Zaurus SL-5600 (linux based). There are so many things you can do with it that will keep you busy and get you more productive.

Check out some screenshots of the OpenZaurus Project (an alternative ROM image) for the Zaurus:

http://www.openzaurus.org/oz_website/content/screenies

Programming? On a handheld? Isn't that a little extreme? Wouldn't it make sense to have one of those foldable keyboards to go with it if you're going to go that far? Also, educate me people. Which programming language can one walk around with on a Pocket PC? What programming packages are available on the Pocket PC platform? How would you code on something like that?

What's all this hooplah about the Zaurus? Isn't that a Linux only based Pocket PC? Gosh... so many questions... Why would a person who uses mostly the Windows platform want a Zaurus? Not discrediting it. Just curious.

Xenocrates: Using Linux on a handheld is the perfect way to get an introduction to the OS without having to worry about giving up productivity in the interim.

The Zaurus, besides having many attractive features that are non-existent on many other handhelds, has an interface that will be very familiar to anyone that has used the Palm OS.

This gives you the flexibility of having and using your PDA applications in much the same way you would with nay other device while leaving you the freedom of scripting/programming, running a myriad of applications or even bringing up a terminal window and hacking the kernel.

Good point CKnight...

Xenocrates,
    The Zaurus actually has an integrated keyboard but even so programming on the Zaurus is not usually done on the Zaurus itself but on a PC then transfered to the Zaurus. Although you can type command line commands in a terminal window and type source code on the Zaurus itself, what I usually do is to use an FTP client on my Windows (or Linux) PC and do my file transfers from there. I also telnet from my Windows PC into my Zaurus while it is in its USB cradle (or connected to LAN) and run commands from there. The more mature compilers do not run on the Z but on a PC because of its size.

The more common languages used to develop Zaurus apps are Java, C++ (Qt libraries) and a few others which I can't remember now. A few cell phones will be coming out with embedded Java so these will be able to run such programs as well. Thats one beauty with Java - its portability.

One thing to bare in mind: Applications developed for the Zaurus ought to be "thin-clients" that use/communicate with business rules and server-side scripts/programs via wireless (or wired) connectivity. Once this is done you can get small apps running on the Zaurus that can effectively interface with your company's data on a Windows or Linux PC.

So Xenocrates, at the end of the day we are programming "for" hand-helds" and not necessarily "on" hand-helds.

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

With that in mind, I wonder if they'll start porting mini versions of entertainment software for handhelds? For example, I'd love to see my SimCity 4 run on one of the more powerful 400Mhz ones such as the Toshiba PocketPC or even the Axim X5 - who knows.

But lemme ask (since I'm still fairly new to this form of microtechnology) - the 64mb on those PocketPCs, I estimate about 48mb of it would be available for other apps right?

If so, I estimate that one CAN actually expand it's memory capacity... right?

The Z comes with 64MB and out of this, 32MB is made available for user apps (this is referred to as "internal storage&quot

I have added a 64MB Compact Flash storage card and also a 128MB SD card so I have enough space for quite a number of apps. Remember that the Zaurus has 2 expansion slots: a Compact Flash slot and also a SD slot. You can easily push in a SD card storing apps or music whenever you need it.

One thing to note: Some apps (whether for Pocket PC or Linux based) require that it must be installed on internal storage. Now on my Zaurus, I have used the power of linux to take advantage of such situations. What I do is to actually move the app to my external SD or CF card and then create a symbolic link on internal storage that points to the app on the external storage. This has allowed me to free up available space on internal storage. I don't know what folks with IPAQs do in those situations.

So yes, there is alot of room for expansion when it comes to hand-helds.

BTW, Sharp has pumped it up a notch and have fitted the new Zaurus SL-5600 with a 400MHz processor.

[quote author=RobyG link=board=3;threadid=79;start=15#msg3902 date=1048528355]I don't know what folks with IPAQs do in those situations. [/quote]

I have an iPAQ and I don't even know :-[ ???

Default Re: IPAQ vs. Toshiba PocketPC

I know the question was about iPAQs and Toshiba's but like other members I have to put in my word about the Dells. All the features you can get on the ipaq/toshiba handhelds you mentioned can be matched feature for feature for at least $100 less (thats 6g your saving man) if you go with a Dell Axim. After having a Dell for over a year Im about to get an ipaq but thats just because Im sick of Dells lousy customer service and the ipaq's form is just so irresistably sexy.
    But the Dell PDA itself is undeniably a great PDA and NOBODY has yet been able to rival it in terms of value for money.