Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone OS 3.0

Default iPhone OS 3.0

Macrumors

Engadget is reporting that Apple will be hosting a media event on Tuesday, March 17th to demonstrate iPhone OS 3.0, the next major upgrade to the iPhone operating system. Apple will reportedly also provide details on a new iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) to aid developers in creating applications for the new operating system.
    Apple's calling this an "advance preview of what we're building," so we're not expecting anything ready to go as of the 17th, but hopefully this will allow developers to start building toward future functionality (hey, how about some push notifications?), and presumably users won't have too many months to wait after that for the real deal.

Apple previously hosted a media event in March 2008 to provide a "roadmap" for iPhone developers, and it appears that this upcoming event may follow a similar theme. The event is scheduled for 10 AM Pacific in the Town Hall auditorium on the company's campus in Cupertino, CA.
    I would definitely appreciate a redesigned home screen - I'm already at 4 and it's annoying not being able to organize it. I would also like to see Push Notifications, MMS, and Copy and Paste in that order.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

Honestly, push and copy and paste is all i need.

Default iPhone Not Dead Yet - iPhone OS 3.0

Coming in the summer, iPhone users will get an upgrade!

App and developer functionality

* Peer-to-peer connectivity over Bluetooth for gaming and other info-swapping.
    * Paid apps will have the potential to be subscription fee-based, and can include optional paid content that can be bought from right inside the app.
    * Developers can now build apps that call out to Google Maps, and can also finally bring Apple-blessed turn-by-turn to the phone.
    * Devs can also connect with hardware accessories over in their apps now, such as a blood pressure monitor -- or perhaps a keyboard? Connectivity works through the dock connector or over Bluetooth.
    * Long-promised push functionality will at last be included, but apps won't run in the background.
    * Developers can add streaming video and audio to their apps, along with in-game voice use.

General functionality

* Cut, copy and paste. At last! You can shake the phone to undo and redo the action, and it works with both text and photos, allowing Mail to send multiple photos at a time. (more here)
    * MMS, along with forward and delete for multiple messages. (more here)
    * A2DP stereo Bluetooth.
    * Spotlight has been added to a new home screen page to the left of existing pages, allowing for universal search on the phone. (more here)

Apple apps

* A new app called Voice Memos which lets you record notes and reminders.
    * A revised Stocks app, with news stories and a landscape view.
    * Landscape keyboard available in all major apps.
    * CalDAV support has been added to Calendar, along with subscriptions support in the .ics format.
    * Apple's major apps have all been expanded with search functionality.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/a...iphone-os-3-0/

Home Work Handed late! sir. That's 60% of your final grade. An "C" may look nice on your transcript for this class....

"1st Gen iphone users, prepare for an upgrade to use half that stuff" . Voices in my head
    Zee
    -----
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

|--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Utech22 View Post
    Well finally they are now listening to the average user....this feature is long overdue and to think this is standard in most mobiles especially Blackberry phones which surprisingly are moving up the functionality and popularity ladder.

Good link still.
    Ricardo Barrett
    Jesus+Education=Success
    BBM ME @ 7A70FCE3
    Whatsapp 1(876) 783-8991

Default Apple done presenting iPhone OS 3.0 - over 100 new features

There are also over 100 new features directly available to the end customers including cut copy and paste. Here's a run down of the key ones.

* System-wide Cut, Copy and Paste feature
    * Stereo A2DP Bluetooth streaming is on (not available to iPhone 2G)
    * System-wide landscape keyboard
    * A system-wide search Spotlight is added now including Mail, Calendar, Notes, iPod and web
    * There's now MMS support (not available to iPhone 2G)
    * You can forward and delete individual messages
    * Notes can now be synced with iTunes
    * WiFi auto-login for hotspots
    * Bluetooth peer-to-peer connection with file exchange and remote control (over Bonjour only)
    * Safari gets password login manager
    * Support for YouTube accounts and YouTube subscriptions
    * New action button in Photos lets you choose multiple pictures to attach to a mail message
    * There are Voice Memos, which can be edited, cropped and shared using email or MMS
    * Calendar gets Exchange support and will be able to sync with Google and Yahoo calendar services
    * Stocks app will be getting news stories and stock details
    * iPod gets shake-to-shuffle function
    * Anti-fishing tool in Mobile Safari
    * Increased number of supported languages
    * Parental Controls are extended to movies, TV shows and App Store content
    * Calls Log
    * iTunes store account creation
    * Proxy support
    * Live video and audio streaming
    * Tethering is now supported (but available optionally)
    * Voice recording
    http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_done_p...s-news-833.php

|--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Looking forward to the upgrade once the jailbreaking and unlocking is ready I'm particularly looking forward to the notes sync, system-wide landscape keyboard and cut-and-paste.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Looking forward to the upgrade once the jailbreaking and unlocking is ready I'm particularly looking forward to the notes sync, system-wide landscape keyboard and cut-and-paste.
    I agree no doubt....overall very good upgrades but I am wondering if this is just too late as Blackberry has already begun its DOMINANCE to the top of the Mobile phone market besides alot of these so called upgrades are standard in so many HTC, SONY & Blackberry phones.

Besides Iphones are so proprietary and even though you bought the device you still feel like Apple owns and controls a 60/40 percentage share?

Any comments?
    Last edited by barrettrs; Mar 17, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
    Ricardo Barrett
    Jesus+Education=Success
    BBM ME @ 7A70FCE3
    Whatsapp 1(876) 783-8991