Thread: Troubleshooting WOL/W

Default Troubleshooting WOL/W

OK, I have a small network of two computers - Dell Optiplex GX 150 and eMachines EL1200-01e - along with a Linksys 5-port hub and C&W Zhone (6211, I think) modem. I setup VNC on both systems as I only have one monitor, and I also forwarded couple ports so I can access my systems via the internet.

The problem I'm having is that the Wake-On-LAN function isn't working for some reason. The first time I setup and tested booting using Solar Winds WOL on the LAN, it worked great. Then I tried connecting from work and it didn't work, using the forwarded ports and MAC. Isn't working at home again either for some reason, and I didn't change anything. BTW, I ensured that its on in BIOS.

The hub has two rows of status lights ("Link/Act" and "100"), with the first flashing based on activity. The modem and Dell connections always cause both lights to be on once they're plugged in. But the emachines has the "100" light off when powered down and both off if power is lost completely to the system (even when power is returned). I know that it's in the former mode that WOL/W will work, and I've noticed that its NIC will flash sometimes when its off. I'm pretty sure the Dell would turn on in a snap via WOL, though I haven't tried it yet.

Thing is, the emachines is my work system, which I kinda treat like a server, since I use it both from my personal system and via Internet. Would like to get this working (at least the WOL side) as I dislike leaving my computer on so I can access it.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Hmm. Interesting. WOL works after a soft restart. Seems that the way the system is shutdown affects if power remains in the NIC or not. Just need to figure out how to keep the power in hibernation...
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;

*sigh*. The saga of my WOL troubles continue. I have reconfigured my system based on instructions in various forums, guides, etc, but I have yet to get the results they have achieved. My problem has been distilled down to the NIC; or why the OS powers it down on standby/hibernate but not on shutdown. Maybe this problem is specific to only some NICs, like the on board Nvidia nForce, since my on board 3com doesn't theoretically have this issue.

I guess its time to research and dig deeper into Windows than I ever had. I need to find out how Windows treats the various power down states differently. From this I should know if a software can be used to keep the NIC on, the OS itself needs some kind of patching, or some kind of hardware configuration needs to be manually tweaked. I got a hint where someone had WOL issues on shutdown with Win2k, and this was solved by an OS patch...

And when I finally have this solved (which I eventually will), it will be WOW time!

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    *sigh*. The saga of my WOL troubles continue. I have reconfigured my system based on instructions in various forums, guides, etc, but I have yet to get the results they have achieved. My problem has been distilled down to the NIC; or why the OS powers it down on standby/hibernate but not on shutdown. Maybe this problem is specific to only some NICs, like the on board Nvidia nForce, since my on board 3com doesn't theoretically have this issue.
    I am having the same problem in Windows 8.

Hibernate S4 works, but shutdown S5 does not.

The NIC is set to WOL in S3, S4 and S5 in the BIOS and Windows (All settings in Bios and Windows need to be set for it to work in S5. I will post later). However I suspect windows 8 or nic driver is not doing what it is supposed in S5. It works up to 5 seconds after a shutdown when NIC still has residual power, but after Hibernation, even the next day, a WOL Magic Packet will start up the PC from S4.
    Black Lives Matter

I'm willing to assist you with testing a theory.

I can setup some software on your devices temporarily and then you let the work machine hibernate. I can then send a WOL from the other machine remotely and see if it will wake. If it does, then the problem may be with the way the WOL is initiated from whatever device you're using.

Sorry for not responding sooner as I did not see the post.

Go to khat17.screenconnect.com and start sessions from both machines - we can test and post the results right away once you're ready. Just let me know the names you'll use for the two systems.
    Last edited by khat17; Jun 27, 2020 at 10:33 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".