Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limited or No Connectivity/ Unidentified Network

This has started to happen to me a month or so ago. I use LIME though. I unplug, replug nothing...can't even access the modem startpage. Have to always restart the PC. Quite annoying.

I wondered if the modem was biting the dust? Funny though...when I boot into Ubuntu quite stripped down...I don't experience the problem as much or at all and it is much reduced when in Windows Safe Mode...
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Guys i called flow customer service and they said its a vista issue. They have the problem from time to time with customers regardless of the modem. I still have my old dsl modem and it turns out lime hadn't disconnected the dsl yet so i tried that and the same thing happened.

I had to just restart, restart, restart till it finally came up. Called the people at lime tech support and they said the same thing. The tech guy even said to go back to xp or take a chance and try windows 7. I love windows 7 but it doesn't work with my sound drivers.

So i guess its a vista problem which plagues people from time to time because google searches yield the same sorta problems from people in tech forums.

The best bet is to just keep on restarting. But that is so inconvenient because it can take up to 10 restarts before it works.

I'm still fishing around for a solution. If i find one i'll post it albeit it would be just in my case.

So i'm singing the vista blues.

It is a vista based problem.
    it is an issue with the network and sharing center, it is not caused by the newtork and sharing center tho.
    Its not a dhcp issue, can be proven if u check ur routers client address list and machine ip info.

the problem is caused by the sharing subsystem and network discovery.
    [insert long explanation here... ]

Solution is quite simple, maybe even too simple
    the solution is the very first one in google.
    For those who still think its too much reading.
    Disable your nic,logout.
    Login,enable your nic card.
    Go about your business.
    Everything can be learnt, simply by not speaking...

disable uac and see if it helps. uac is at the root of a lot of issues in vista/7.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

For those of us who are not computer techies,...

I think khat17 is referring to "User Account Control". Try this link....

http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2...20/763275.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    disable uac and see if it helps. uac is at the root of a lot of issues in vista/7.

UAC won't help. I disabled that from the get go.

I will look into what Xclydes said. And now more than I ever I do believe it may be Vista based...but what is different when in Safe Mode with Networking why the problem is less?

@ apocolypse2000_99...did you try Safe Mode with networking?

In safe mode none of the additional crap is loaded with the OS. If the OS is the problem or a driver - then the problem should come up in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING as well. If the problem is something else it most likely will not surface in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

You can also try using KNOPPIX or some other boot environment to see if your network connection drops every now and again.

Since you've already disabled UAC - you can now try relaxing or disabling the firewall to see if that has anything to do with it.

As a test to see if the network connection is the issue or the cable or something - you can manually set your IP and if you suddenly lose connectivity then try pinging your modem and see what happens.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

P.S. I already tried Ubuntu and do not have the same experience.

I need to slip disk Vista Home Premium SP1 February Rollup and start anew...

Good idea. Do that and post your results.

http://www.vlite.net/

its not uac... been there and done that...
    itll work in safe mode because simply because all non-essential serices arent started. that includes networking services, sharing services, 3rd party display drivers.
    so u start in safe mode, then wat? how do u kno wat caused the problem?

Its alot easer to jus get a dvd with sp1 already built in, even better an oem dvd. theres nothing illegal or unethical, as long as u hav a genuine key.
    If you use nlite and integrate sp1, and by chance miss some part of the config or turn off something to strip it down youll cause problems.

For example. Issues with office 2007 installer service. ill find the link and post it l8r. Seen the problem for myself, so i know it can happen.
    Everything can be learnt, simply by not speaking...