Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet speed record quadrupled to 101 Gbit/s

Lightbulb Internet speed record quadrupled to 101 Gbit/s

An international team of physicists, scientists and engineers achieved a new speed record for long distance data transfer: During the Supercomputing Bandwidth Challenge the sustained data transfer was 101 Gbit per second (Gbp/s) between Pittsburgh and Los Angeles. This is more than four times faster than last year's record of 23 Gbp/s.

The group's "High-Speed TeraByte Transfers for Physics" record data transfer speed is equivalent to downloading three full DVD movies per second, or transmitting all of the content of the Library of Congress in 15 minutes, and it corresponds to approximately percent of the rate that all forms of digital content were produced on Earth during the test, the team led by the California Institute of Technology said.

The extraordinary achieved bandwidth was made possible in part through the use of the Fast TCP protocol developed by Professor Steven Low and his Caltech Netlab team. It was achieved through the use of seven 10 Gbp/s links to Cisco 7600 and 6500 series switch-routers provided by Cisco Systems at the Caltech Center for Advanced Computing booth, and three 10 Gbp/s links to the SLAC/Fermilab booth near Chicago.

read more
    http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...29_153412.html

Default Re: Internet speed record quadrupled to 101 Gbit/s

101 gb/s, thats fast. really, really fast. is that faster than fibre optic?

Extremely fats, I'd like to be downloading at that speed, think of the possibilities, hahah
    LOS-iX--ASROCKZ77 PRO4+||INTEL i5 3570K||2x CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 8GIG DDR3 1600Mhz ||ATI RADEON HD 5770 1GB GDDR5||BL-LG 16X DVDRW||XTECH 600WATT PSU||Seagate 120GIG SSD||24" RCA LCD TV/MONITOR||Seagate 160GIG SATA||
    Life an Eternal Mask of Illussion---->IGN: Triple6/ Techlos

You would run out of storage space very quickly. 101 Gbits p/sec thats almost 22 DVD's in a second.....
    You could download the whole internet...
    IT Consultant

hehe, u would need terabyte hd, probably one per day

Hey I found the link to download the internet!

PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

It doesn't work ramesh.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

funny thing is I was chatting with some sweeds and one mentioned that a company there is offering 1GB internet connection to residential customers, for arround $125US.
    bastereds there standard connection to the internet is 10MB.
    but back on topic those cisco routers are real nice, but a 3 dvds a second the MPAA wont like that at all. I can only imagine what those research assistants do when the boss isnt arround.

Quote Originally Posted by samurailos
    Extremely fats, I'd like to be downloading at that speed, think of the possibilities, hahah
    yes the possibilities seem endless, at that speed, I'm looking to download hardware.
    all the labours of the ages, all the devotion, all the inspiration, all the noonday brightness of human genius, are destined to extinction in the vast death of the solar system, and that the whole temple of Man's achievement must inevitably be buried beneath the debris of a universe in ruins - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by rhys
    yes the possibilities seem endless, at that speed, I'm looking to download hardware.
    lol...very funny
    The views expressed in the above post are not neccesarily the views of icuucme.