Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is using Java

Default Who is using Java

Anyone aware of any organisation in JA that is using JAVA

Default Re:Who is using Java

I am told that the following use it:
    Fiscal Services, (Bank of Jamaica, I understand that other financial institutions use it as well.)

Is it that there is no future for Java in Jamaica or are we not promoting it enough here? ???

I guess jamaica is not as advanced as the first world countries, I dont know of any companies here brave enough to start writing software for small devices. If Java takes off in the small devices market then I gues you might see a few jobs appear.. Might :-\

Hi,

as you said Fiscal is using it. I know of other companies who use Java and are beginning to use it hard!.

Delton.

As to why it is not widely being used here, not a lot of coders are willing to wrap their heads around it, they say learning curve too steep.

I personally think it's one of the best languages i've used thus far.

Delton.

[quote author=delly_jm link=board=21;threadid=768;start=0#msg8587 date=1055562301]
    As to why it is not widely being used here, not a lot of coders are willing to wrap their heads around it, they say learning curve too steep.

I personally think it's one of the best languages i've used thus far.

Delton.
    [/quote]

Java learning curve is not as high as you might think. If you have developed bad habbits from languages like C,C++ then it may be hard to grasp at first because you will have to unlearn those habbits. However if you are new to programming then Java is a good place to start.

You also said you know companies that are using Java hard can you mention some of these companies.

Default Using Java for production

My definition of using Java refers to companies that have production applications written in Java and possibly using a Java application server like Tomcat or IBM WebSphere...running an applet directory as part of an intranet does not count for me!

Fiscal - may have already commenced application service using a Java application.

BOJ - Yes. Using Java application server to serve up critical business application. (One other government agency using the same application configuration) Java application server is hosted on an AS/400 (iSeries) server!

Other Financial Institutions - Yes. 2. One deploying main line of business applet across the island. The other about to launch several critical custom developed (locally!!!) applications.

dont be discouraged Billerg, Elmo's on point.

Java is very necessary right now and has the majority of app. devlopment on lock.

& from generaldvw's post, it would appear that JA is in tune to this change in tide & rightfully so.

Aren't they using Java on smart cards? That is using a small interpret called JavaCard.