Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Advice Re Web Page Design courses...

Question Seeking Advice Re Web Page Design courses...

Hi there everyone,
    i need some straightforward advice-
    if i wanted to get into the world of 'web page design etc' would the Certified Internet Webmaster course be a good place to begin or it is too advanced? I have no web page design experience at all but am ready to get my feet wet (so to speak)......

what would a course like the above cost?

I also see that INFOSERV has a 'Web Design & Maintenance'...accoring to their website " This course is designed to provide the requisite skills and training for an entry-level position in the field of Web Design. Participants will be armed with the tools required to develop and maintain web sites for a corporation or your own small business." Any 1 with experience at Infoserv can shed some light in terms of quality of teaching there etc....

I look forward to responses, suggestions......Thanx much
    To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.

Get some basic knowledge first: http://www.w3schools.com
    http://www.ciwcertified.com
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Default the quest continues...

Utech22....are html, xml still used since they are used to 'build web pages from scratch'?

Would learning Frontpage and Dreamweaver be more benefecial for a beginner?

Quote Originally Posted by yolie4eva View Post
    Well, last semester in University, I chose Introduction to Web Page Design as an elective and they taught us to design web pages using Dreamweaver. Also, the website: www.w3schools.com does help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Utech22 View Post
    I concur. You can use google to find some good tutorials. After you get a firm grounding you can take a course if you wish to, to fill in required blanks.

When it comes to computers I've been in almost every area, and the only formal certification I have is for Basic Networking at UWI SCS. Now I'm working as a programmer . The Internet was my school .
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

certified internet webmaster (ciw) is a set of courses and exams that, when completed successfully, certifies an individual as capable in web site development and server administration, including security and e-commerce. The ciw curriculum provides hands-on training for real-world internet technologies that is independent of particular product vendors. A student may train at an instructor-led training site or train at home or at the office using conference calls, e-mail, and web-based support. Examinations are administered by sylvan prometric, an independent testing body, at one of their testing centers. The internet certification institute international (icii) offers ciw certification worldwide and prosofttraining.com offers the ciw certification program in the u.s. Ciw certification is accredited by the association of internet professionals and endorsed by the world organization of webmasters.
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...214099,00.html
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]

You can study some things online too.

Quote Originally Posted by yolie4eva View Post
    Utech22....are html, xml still used since they are used to 'build web pages from scratch'?

Yes, xhtml, xml, css, javascript, + server side scripting (php).
    dreamweaver is the best, full of functionality.

Thanxx much everyone.....much food for thought

To answer your question, if you are a not a person who has the ability to teach yourself, I imagine that you want to be taught and get some sort of certificate. beginner courses shouldn't really cost alot. I am not familiar with the current rates. I suggest you give a couple places a call ( check the yellow pages ), they should be able to tell you the cost over the phone. make sure to tell them your skill level so that you don't get thrown into a course that you can't manage.

On the note of dreamweaver vs HTML. HTML is like baking a cake from scratch and Dreamweaver is CakeMix. Having at least alittle knowledge of the ingredients helps you in the long run.