Thread: LINKSYS Router Problem

Default LINKSYS Router Problem

just bought a brand new Linksys WRT54G2 router and started to run the set up cd however i cannot get past the first step where it tries to identify the ethernet port.I am getting a message say "Error 312:No wired network adapter identified".My onboard ethernet port is working quite well in fact i am connected to the net with it right now so i find this to be really strange i even went as far as installing an ethernet adapter i had lying around ....same result.. anybody here ever had this problem? and how was it solved? ... i am really frustrated right now
    Last edited by MasterSnake; Jan 24, 2009 at 08:07 PM.
    MSI NF750-G55 Motherboard , AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1 GHz ,
    Corsair XMS3 4GB 2 X 2 GB PC3-10666
    ,Seagate Barracuda 500 gb HDD , Nvidia GT520 , Acer 20'' LCD Monitor

Here is what you do find a trash can and throw away the cd .Here is the techie way to resolve this , CD router installation is for non-techie .
    1)There is a reset button on the router press it for 5 seconds then restart the router by unplugging then plug it back in .
    2)connect a ethernet cable to either one of the four lan ports on the router .
    3)I am assuming you know how to open the command dialog box if not google it.type ipconfig/all at the command prompt then press enter.Look for gateway ip address.
    4)type in the gateway ip address in a browser address box .A password dialog box should pop up .The default username/passwords are normally admin/admin if not google it.
    5)Go to the setup page and the drop down box should be set to DHCP save the settings then connect your internet connection to the WAN port ,you should be good from there.
    6)To setup security and mac address filtering is your job to research

bugsy well said. i love the instructions...straight to the point. i have one of those same routers snake but never encountered such problems. i hope he gets it sorted out with the instructions given to him becuz its pretty straight forward.
    contact info:
    Cell: 842-1140
    or PM me at anytime

If the box is successfully reset to factory settings, then the gateway IP address will be 192.168.1.1, and the password is 'admin' (leave username blank).

Though very unlikely, it looks like a hardware failure of either the 54G2 LAN port(s) or the Ethernet cable itself.

Did you try enabling your Wireless adapter and connecting to the 54G2 over the wireless interface? Just associate with the 'Linksys' SSID, then open a browser and put 192.168.1.1 in the browser address line.

what i forgot to ask u snake is if u have all the necessary cable? u have to have one cable from ur modem to the router (must b plugged in the port labelled INTERNET at the back of the router tho) and another from ur router to the pc (using any of the ports Numbered 1-4). then both the wireless and wired should b enabled on the pc u wish to configure ur router with thats wat the installation cd asks u to do....so double check to see if u connected the cables correctly or as u can see the installation won't go any further.....
    Last edited by dwaynebrown85; Jan 25, 2009 at 05:25 AM.
    contact info:
    Cell: 842-1140
    or PM me at anytime

Thanks a lot bugsy and the other guys turns out that it seems as if quite a few ppl are having the same issue that i was experiencing. Look like it has something to do with the Nvidia Nforce controller on my mother board i went the route that bugsy suggested after digging around online and i am good to go.Linkysis have a web based setup utility..came in handy Once again thanks guys.............. learning something new everyday
    MSI NF750-G55 Motherboard , AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1 GHz ,
    Corsair XMS3 4GB 2 X 2 GB PC3-10666
    ,Seagate Barracuda 500 gb HDD , Nvidia GT520 , Acer 20'' LCD Monitor