Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Linux role in Microsoft's decline

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    You never hear me say i dont like linux... i said its just not a desktop operating system... and you know you lieing bout you know people who uses it and they are not techies.
    i think linux's eventual strong point will not be its 'ease of use'...as that can never replace the familiarity of windows or the 'pop culture cool' of mac...but rather its stability and versatility.

of course simplicity wont hurt it either.

that branches right into my next point...i built a resource center/computer lab sometime last year in manchester that was sponsored by an organization i'm a part of...6 computers...it needed to be built in a client/server type layout for the users.

so of course i look to windows server...and was frightened as to how expensive it was...worse when you add in all the licenses and what not...and all these people were going to be doing was typing documents and using the net.

so i researched...and i found out about Ubuntu Terminal Server, which nullified the software cost, allowed the hardware cost to come down quite a bit as the systems could be diskless, which allowed a further 6 systems-really old machines that were donated- to join up for no extra cost, and so on...and the thing was ridiculously easy to set up.

i proposed it to the organization, and they were impressed...and gave it the green light. went, set it up and got it running easily, had the accounts fool proof so that users couldnt do anything but go into Firefox, Open Office..and print.

but guess what...the administrator....being a real clown of a windows fanboy....decided to take it upon himself to format the server (with all the profiles and so on on it) and drop on a bootleg version of 2003 server on it...and proceeded to try to replicate it in a more 'familiar' environment....the end result? the whole lab was down for 2 weeks...and when it was up again...only 9 users were able to connect for some odd reason...random bsod's.....virus reach the system thru IE(admin loved the pr0n sites)...the works.

of course the regular users of the center complained..saying they "wanted the other ting from before"...and i went down to mandeville...booted up the raided drive with the ubuntu install....and went on my merry way..everyone was happy...

so yeah...there is my epistle about non techie users and linux....they might not even know what they were using...or probably thought it was an ugly windows...but they used...and liked it.
    >>Insert something witty here<<

Quote Originally Posted by Krems View Post
    read the quotes you silly MS fanboy...or let me summarize for you

krems: the standards dodging security hole IE and the format-selective-drm-laden WMP are rubbish...

vames: how dare you think so....IE and WMP are great... they work wonderfully ..and users arent hassled with wasting thier precious time downloading any other programs.

krems: well then them either dont know any better or just fool..oh and MS Office 07 is crap too

vames: how...how DARE you ..YOU are stupid

lawl...fanboy
    Don't stray there sir, don't start up di f****y

Anyway, You still not making any sense by the way, try a 3rd time, yuh brain might click then

Bwoy Krems,

I don't know what to say at this point. Your non-techie users in Mandeville can use Linux. BCK's non-techie wife can use Linux. My friend's non-techie 18 year old daughter can use Linux.

Yet these techies can't use it. It doesn't look good. It doesn't look good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by vames View Post
    Don't stray there sir, don't start up di f****y

Anyway, You still not making any sense by the way, try a 3rd time, yuh brain might click then
    straying? i basically re-typed my post

point is i wasnt touching on anything to do with linux vs windows in that post...i was addressing the three cases of software fail.. take from that what you will.

although you seemingly took it the wrong way. calm down, take off your myopic fanboy glasses and read again.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    Bwoy Krems,

I don't know what to say at this point. Your non-techie users in Mandeville can use Linux. BCK's non-techie wife can use Linux. My friend's non-techie 18 year old daughter can use Linux.

Yet these techies can't use it. It doesn't look good. It doesn't look good at all.
    wha you say....it too hard for them?

not to mention, my non-techie girlfriend...i had ubuntu on my eee pc (which she borrows regularly)...and then formatted it to try out windows 7...and she wants back ubuntu.

i think the desktop effects got her mesmerized...lol

fire21 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vames View Post
    You mean GIMP is easier than Photoshop? What games can you actually play in Linux? Some Pacman clone? MS Office is way better than than what Linux has to offer, browsing the web is even better in Windows too. You watch CNN when Obama was swearing in? Did you witness MS Photosync or something of the sort tech? Well, CNN had a section on their website where users could view live photos in innovative fashion (it was quite neat) but you had to install a .exe file for it to work wonders, Linux people got left out.

There are many things on the net that has no form of support for Linux systems so your talk means nothing Try again 10 years from now, but most likely it'll just be another dejavu ha ha ha
    When I saw this I smiled to myself. I was able to watch the whole thing. I have Ubuntu installed and I was able to watch every major event from the presidential election and even the inauguration. So I am sorry of your "distro" of linux didn't work. I live on CNN and BBC sites etc and I have no problem - only problem I may have is that "this video is not available in your area."

Well at some point I had to step in. Well I must say I've been around the Linux OS from 2004. I decided to go Linux in 2008 and from then I have no regrets. Well I changed the brown that was in ubuntu and now my desktop is beautiful. Trust me - if I was to configure windows to look like how my ubuntu desktop looks now, the amount of softwares I would have to install it would surely not work out [I stand to be corrected]. Well I am currently in college and with ubuntu I can get my work done, no hussle no bustle. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - this is mine so PLEASE don't kill me over my opinion. I could say more but the lab is closing now. So if you guys feel to use Microsoft use it, Mac, use it, linux - use it. Its a free world we live in. Even God at creation gave us a choice. I have made a choice don't kill me over it. i'm out
    Last edited by fire21; Feb 9, 2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling err

The Windows faithful hates linux, the Linux worshippers bash windows.

In the real world however, Microsoft's ISP (who is one of the best in the world) uses a unix based OS.

Both OS' have pro's and cons. For Desktop, Windows certainly have more going for it than Linux. Certainly I can't think of installing a PC and not have some version of windows on it.
    I'm currently Running Windows Vista 64, and I love it. very few probs, all of them related to Vista being a much more secure OS than XP and me wanting to bypass security.

Some comments regarding Linux's User Interface, specifically Ubuntu's GUI, leave me to believe that some of us are swimming in the ocean of ignorance. Hands down Linux can be configured to have the best user interface of any desktop OS on the planet. Hands Down. With features and special effects running in OPENGL means it can be pretty-slick and lightning fast, something windows can't do just yet.

On the server side. Active Directory rules and Linux has no answer to date. Basically Everything Else regarding servers belongs to the wonderful world of Linux. The predominant bias against Microsoft's OS was efficiency and security. Both have been duly addressed and Windows server 2008 is a great OS compared to anything.

Regarding desktop usability, Linux is very user freindly, if you know it already. Most consumers are familiar with windows, and the Linux learning curve is really the learning curve to get used to a different interface.

Regarding Desktop support, Windows is King, and the King will live very long. Applications, Hardware support, Games, etc, etc. Linux does have more apps that windows, many of them free, but I don't see photoshop (No gimp isn't close to being as good), MS Office (Open Office is good, but doesn't match up to office 2k7), and many other apps i'm used to having and love.
    Microsoft is a company and pushes for windows support. So the required support and testing is ususally carried out earlier than is done for Linux. The Driver support under Linux is proof of this.

If I'm Building a Server, Linux is my first choice unless I'm looking for a DC. Price alone is a significant factor, but Linux servers offer many functionality that windows wil play catch-up to for a while.

It will come down to a matter of preference in many instances, and familiarity will always win. Linux lovers will be biased to Linux, and Windows peeps will stick to the tried and true.

On the Dekstop as said before, I give the easy win to Windows. Easy! Kudos to the Linux community for having a GUI that rocks the pants off windows though. More is required that a hot GUI to overall windows. Advertising is one.

Server-side, where a budget is usually a limitation. I can build a redundant Linux system (Two severs that offer realtime synchronization), and running multiple services (That also means virtual machines) for the price of a corresponding Windows box, depending on how many users will be connecting. Windows Cals really eating into the budget.

My 2-cents.

I don't know a single soul who uses Linux on their desktop who isn't a techie. If linux didn't eat into market share after microsoft waited about 5 years to release vista and on top of that vista was a piece of crap. you think linux will have a chance now that windows 7 is out? give me break! i can count on my fingers the very few people that has anything bad to say about win7.. Microsoft finally getting their act together. Linux desktop will forever remain a hobby.
    U are correct, U DON"T know anyone that uses linux who is not a techie but i know people that uses linux and they are no techie. i even have friends come to my house and use my ubuntu linux and they never once asked me how to do something. they browse the net, play music, print their work etc. Hell, my girlfriend would click the hell out of it and never new she was not using windows until i told her.

So don't hate..... embrace.

I don't know a single soul who uses Linux on their desktop who isn't a techie.
    My 4-5th form English teacher (Ubuntu).

Quote Originally Posted by Westkid View Post
    U are correct, U DON"T know anyone that uses linux who is not a techie but i know people that uses linux and they are no techie. i even have friends come to my house and use my ubuntu linux and they never once asked me how to do something. they browse the net, play music, print their work etc. Hell, my girlfriend would click the hell out of it and never new she was not using windows until i told her.

So don't hate..... embrace.
    Well I don't use much proprietary software, and my XP is skinned so it looks like Ubuntu. Most people are confused as Hell as to what I'm using until I tell them.
    I use a i3 laptop that runs World Community Grid all day.
    Crow: 316-2855 (LIME) Xfire: Napalmphoenix

My few penny's worth on this Linux vs Windows issue. I use Windows at 98% of the time. And over the time I've tweaked it out of its mind. Now, whenever I restart my system, I have to wait at LEAST 5 minutes for it to finish booting (loads of startup items). I like to come back and continue wherever I was, so its straight hibernation for me. After a few days, we looking at 10 - 15 mins before I can get the system to respond to me. And it goes on and on. Don't get me wrong, Windows is OK, for the regular user who does regular things that is. But I'm still surviving (I'm a VERY patient person apparently).

No we go to Linux. The first thing that caught me was "free". The next was "performance". I've had some haphazard experience with it (the first version I tried, I carried on two floppys - still haven't quite figured it all out to this day), but then there was the Ubuntu experience. OS+office+other misc s/w str8 off a single CD? Let's see Windows try that! Live? Holy crap! Then there are other small things:

- Mount/unmount devices = total convenience. Do you know how many times I've wondered why the heck Windows can't remove my portable 5 minutes after read only access?!? Have you any idea how sweet it is to remount a drive without physically removing and reinserting it?

- File explorer = complete awesomeness. Imagine the experience of viewing the contents of text and PDF files FROM THE THUMBNAIL ICON ITSELF! To listen audio files by just hovering the mouse over the file icon!! Individually resizing icons!!! Customizing your desktop panels with WHATEVER YOU WANT!!!!

All these, plus much more, right OoB and no additional s/w. I tell my non-techie friends about just a couple of these features (the techie ones already know and love em) and they're drooling to get their hands on Ubuntu!

There is a saying: "If you do loads of graphics, vids, animations, etc, use a Mac. If you want sweet performance, get Linux. If you want a glut of features full of bugs..." - me.

Just take a look at the trend. The two most updated OSes out there are Windows and Linux. Linux is constantly getting more features... Windows is constantly getting more bug/hole patches. As soon as I free some HDD space, I'm installing Linux. STR8!!!
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions