Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux role in Microsoft's decline

Bwoy Jamrock, my wife is not a techie. She uses an old HP vectra VE PCs running with an AMD K6 cpu and Ubuntu 5.1 Breezy Badger. She does word processing and spreadsheet stuff with OpenOffice, surfs the web and checks email with Opera and has done her research and prepared her reports and presentations on that box, with no more hassle than she would have in a Windows world. Her productivity is quite ok, and she doesn't feel it is too complex for her needs.

It's no problem if persons want to jump on the M$ bandwagon, but it's the bashing thing that is silly. Use what suits you, and leave others to do the same.

Duster's just scared, and vames looking attention. lol.

Another classic speech from the Linux junkies. I can't count how many times I've seen when guys like you trapped in a corner and one of the few things y'all can come up is, who doesn't like Linux is not bright enough, or my wife, my child, my little sibling, even the dog use linux to browse the web and all those meager things, but never mention the real issues ha ha ha ha Despicable!!!!

The truth will forever be told in this forum, so whether you may feel I am seeking attention or whatnot, it doesn't matter. Remember to choose your words carefully when trying to convert an unsuspecting noob, for I McKalino Vamiente is watching

until you can go into Worst Buy and buy a Linux PC and some Linux software off the shelf Linux is irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things. Like mi tiad fi seh if Wally World cyan sell Linux system it just can't sell to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by vames View Post
    Another classic speech from the Linux junkies. I can't count how many times I've seen when guys like you trapped in a corner and one of the few things y'all can come up is, who doesn't like Linux is not bright enough, or my wife, my child, my little sibling, even the dog use linux to browse the web and all those meager things, but never mention the real issues ha ha ha ha Despicable!!!!

The truth will forever be told in this forum, so whether you may feel I am seeking attention or whatnot, it doesn't matter. Remember to choose your words carefully when trying to convert an unsuspecting noob, for I McKalino Vamiente is watching
    Yup, it's official ... vames is looking attention.
    Meager eh? lol. What do you suppose the majority of computer users are doing these days? They are surfing the web, working with wordprocessors and spreadsheets, watching movies, listening to music, playing games, editing photos and chatting in IM. You can do all those things easily and comfortably with Linux. What's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    until you can go into Worst Buy and buy a Linux PC and some Linux software off the shelf Linux is irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things. Like mi tiad fi seh if Wally World cyan sell Linux system it just can't sell to the masses.
    Umm ... dude ... you know Linux is FREE right? You know that you can get software to run on linux for FREE right? Did it ever occur to you that some people have difficulty selling something that is FREE, simply because it is FREE? Why not go research download statistics and see how popular Linux really is?

And Linux systems have sold well. Remember the Asus EePC and such were running Linux. Those were selling like hotbread.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post
    Umm ... dude ... you know Linux is FREE right? You know that you can get software to run on linux for FREE right? Did it ever occur to you that some people have difficulty selling something that is FREE, simply because it is FREE? Why not go research download statistics and see how popular Linux really is?

And Linux systems have sold well. Remember the Asus EePC and such were running Linux. Those were selling like hotbread.
    You made my point. In spite of being FREE, in spite of being cheaper than a comparable Windows PC they sold so badly at retail Walmart quietly killed them. Best Buy barely tried to sell them. Why? In terms of the vast majority of people when they want a PC they want it to run Windows. Not because it's better than anything else but because it's what they use at work and it's what everyone they know has and it's all they have ever heard about. Sure you can look at download stats and say oh yeah there were 20 million Linux users last year but when you have a billion or more people using some form of Windows it kinda looks puny in comparison. Linux is mostly for nerds and tinkerers. And you know what happens to Linux as the hardware for the EEE PC gets more capable? They start selling it with XP.
    Last edited by Gladiator; Jan 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    You made my point. In spite of being FREE, in spite of being cheaper than a comparable Windows PC they sold so badly at retail Walmart quietly killed them. Best Buy barely tried to sell them. Why? In terms of the vast majority of people when they want a PC they want it to run Windows. Not because it's better than anything else but because it's what they use at work and it's what everyone they know has and it's all they have ever heard about. Sure you can look at download stats and say oh yeah there were 20 million Linux users last year but when you have a billion or more people using some form of Windows it kinda looks puny in comparison. Linux is mostly for nerds and tinkerers. And you know what happens to Linux as the hardware for the EEE PC gets more capable? They start selling it with XP.
    True, and that again proves that people want Windows and not Linux. Since the EEE PC came out with its first Windows XP Home installment, Linux EEE sales has faltered dramatically, users who bought a Linux EEE have been installing XP, the stories are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post
    Yup, it's official ... vames is looking attention.
    Meager eh? lol. What do you suppose the majority of computer users are doing these days? They are surfing the web, working with wordprocessors and spreadsheets, watching movies, listening to music, playing games, editing photos and chatting in IM. You can do all those things easily and comfortably with Linux. What's the big deal?
    You mean GIMP is easier than Photoshop? What games can you actually play in Linux? Some Pacman clone? MS Office is way better than than what Linux has to offer, browsing the web is even better in Windows too. You watch CNN when Obama was swearing in? Did you witness MS Photosync or something of the sort tech? Well, CNN had a section on their website where users could view live photos in innovative fashion (it was quite neat) but you had to install a .exe file for it to work wonders, Linux people got left out.

There are many things on the net that has no form of support for Linux systems so your talk means nothing Try again 10 years from now, but most likely it'll just be another dejavu ha ha ha

lol rofl, lmao, this is cracking me up, ignorance is bliss

Once again I will say, it is not about what is better, it is about having choice, choice is a good thing
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Quote Originally Posted by megiddo View Post
    lol rofl, lmao, this is cracking me up, ignorance is bliss

Once again I will say, it is not about what is better, it is about having choice, choice is a good thing
    That's right.

Considering the cost of Linux (FREE) and the functionality available with similarly FREE and OpenSource software, the value proposition is just phenomenal.

@Gladiator - the flop that is Vista, motivated many persons toward Linux. As I said, because it is FREE, you won't have sales figures for that. Also, with the products like the eePC, in markets other than the USA, sales of the Linux versions are doing fine. Only the USA with their M$ zombies had a problem with the Linux based machines. Elsewhere in the world, it's a different story.

@vames - cutting past the grandstanding, for most of the functions most people need to carry out on a PC are comfortably achieved with Linux and opensource software. Gimp/Gimpshop will be adequate for most people. OpenOffice is an excellent substitute for MS Office considering what most people do with MS Office (which is not much anyway). No, Linux users weren't able to install that exe and view the photosynth, but then, Linux users don't have to worry about stuff like the Downadup worm either

Individuals will make the choice as to what is best for them. There are pros and cons for each OS. The bashing thing doesn't make sense and it's just silly. You don't get any cool points for it.

Hmmmm...

I guess my questions have been answered.

Bwoy Jamrock, my wife is not a techie. She uses an old HP vectra VE PCs running with an AMD K6 cpu and Ubuntu 5.1 Breezy Badger. She does word processing and spreadsheet stuff with OpenOffice, surfs the web and checks email with Opera and has done her research and prepared her reports and presentations on that box, with no more hassle than she would have in a Windows world. Her productivity is quite ok, and she doesn't feel it is too complex for her needs.
    I have added your wife to the "brighter than the others" list.
    Last edited by jamrock; Jan 26, 2009 at 08:13 AM.