Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux role in Microsoft's decline

I don't know why we even waste time talking about this Linux thing. The OS is 18 years old and don't have much market share on the desktop. we have seen the worst of microsoft days i believe and linux is still in the mud. i'm not completely against linux because servers running the OS is very stable but lets forget this crazy idea of running a desktop version because 98% of the productive software on the market only runs on windows & Macs.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Talking

I don't know why we even waste time talking about this Linux thing.
    Yes ... why do you waste your time doing that?

I think duster just scared of Linux still. It's too hard, and to get the hang of it, he may have to actually study and get a cert on it.

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    ...but lets forget this crazy idea of running a desktop version because 98% of the productive software on the market only runs on windows & Macs.
    Visit SourceForge.Net FreshMeat.Net and OSalt.com to see the extent of availability of free and open source alternatives to commercial software on the market for the Linux environment. The situation has improved quite a bit, and it continues to develop and grow. It's not as bleak as you make it out to be.

As far as I'm concerned there is only one co. and that's microsoft, i don't see much options, nothing is compatible with linux and macs are overpriced. For those of you killing vista, pls name another MS OS that can compare, I don't want to hear windows 7 because windows 7 is actually a polished vista.
    Last edited by finsac; Jan 25, 2009 at 05:26 PM.

you know i'm not surprised by those supposed numbers. linux would be popular in countries where most people can't afford to be paying microsoft $200+ for an OS. then again most people who can't afford to buy windows find other means so even that doesn't really help Linux. Linux on the desktop is dead. Like I said before if Walmart can't get people behind the idea no company can. I have no problems with it personally, a matter of fact I'm gonna have to install a distro to clone my dvr's hard drive but for use on people's pcs it's a dead dead idea.

Quote Originally Posted by finsac View Post
    nothing is compatible with linux
    Read the post just above yours. There is plenty of software available for Linux.

As for Vista ... sorry dude ... Vista was a prime example of Epic FAIL! Vista definitely contributed to the decline of M$.

all di mods in on this global conspiracy lol Plenty software available for Linux compared to what really??? That question needs to be answered. How much of that plenty is crap? That question may not be answered for some reason.

Here is the truth, every year a blogger can write about the top ten Windows applications, that top ten will not look the same every year because folks are out there ready to make useful stuff for Windows. Now, Linux is just totally different, every year a few fanboys write about the best apps for Linux and not surprising thre is not much difference compared to the previous year.

In one list you might see a difference, but whatever stands out is a few apps you've seen already in another list and it goes on and on. The saying goes, blind cant lead blind

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    I don't know a single soul who uses Linux on their desktop who isn't a techie. If linux didn't eat into market share after microsoft waited about 5 years to release vista and on top of that vista was a piece of crap. you think linux will have a chance now that windows 7 is out? give me break! i can count on my fingers the very few people that has anything bad to say about win7.. Microsoft finally getting their act together. Linux desktop will forever remain a hobby.
    lol!!! Mek yu so cruel? lol!
    LAPTOP:- Alienware M11x C2D @1.7GHz, SATA 300GB HDD, nVidia GT 335M 1GB (dis.), Intel GMA HD-64MB (int.), 2GB DDR3 RAM @1066MHz, 1.3MP webcam Running Windows7 64bit
    MOBILE DEVICE:- SGS3 T999 dual core Qualcom Snapdragon @1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB (int. SD), Adreno 225 GPU, 8MP pri. cam, 1.9MP ff running Stock:4.0.4 UVLH2 modem

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post
    Yes ... why do you waste your time doing that?

I think duster just scared of Linux still. It's too hard, and to get the hang of it, he may have to actually study and get a cert on it.
    Its not really about the complexity blackcrypt.. something can be difficult if the difficulty must be necessary. Linux is just complicated for no reason. look how Apple use the same unix code and mek their OS so simple and fool proof. why linux keeping the "unix" complexity in this day and age dont ask me>.. and regarding the certs hmmm lets not even go there
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Anthon View Post
    lol!!! Mek yu so cruel? lol!
    Anthon im not cruel its just the honest truth. A Desktop OS should be fool proof like i said in my earlier post. The average user cant hardly click on the start button and you gonna tell those same people to open shell and type 30 commands to do the same thing you can do with a click of a mouse... Thats a big joke..
    Henry David Thoreau

Vames and Duster don't like Linux. However, I believe they have more posts in the Linux forum than anywhere else on Techjamaica.

How Come? How come? How come?

Many of us find Linux easy to use. Does it mean that we are brighter than the others?

A friend of mine lent his laptop to his daughter. She is a student at U.W.I. I had loaded Ubuntu on it for him. She used it for a while, then brought her laptop to me to get Ubuntu installed. She has been using Ubuntu since then.

She is around 18 and is not a techie. Is she brighter than the people on the forum who find Linux hard to use?
    Last edited by jamrock; Jan 25, 2009 at 09:01 PM.