Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashing the Bios

Default Flashing the Bios

J was just wonder, which motherboards are the easiest to flash the bios ???

Also due you recommend flashing your bios just to accommodate a new processor ???

Default Re:Flashing the Bios

most of them are very easy. the manufacturers site normally has the proggy to do it anyway and the instructions. no worries.
    should be able to change the proc without doing the bios but doing the bios is good anyway cause it upgrades the board to improved functionality.
    ;D

Improved functionality is not a must, it has been proven that it doesn't always work out for the best. I have seen boards that have proformed worst than before they were flashed, note thbis is a exception to the rule but it happens. Just keep your fingers crossed that your board aint in that group. 8)

If you are willing to send your chip to the states along with reprograming fees, and waiting over a month.
    Go ahead...

If JPS decides to cut power on ur a*s diring reprogramming, and u don't have a UPS or a good one at that.
    Go ahead...

Cause if you mess up the chip u in trouble, and the only way to fix it is to send it to the states with $$$ ofcourse. I'm talking from experience... But who am I to tell anyone not to reprogram their BIOS chip ???, just remember that if u skrew up you got to pay up... ;D

Flashing the BIOS isnt always recommedned unless you have serious issues with your board that need to be sorted out through the BIOS. Just getting the latest version of the BIOS for your board isnt always recommended either cuz it may do more harm than good and as Ropy seh if anything happen n the process u end up get wah di duck get.

lol....funny wheelman mentioned that, since he was laughing at me last year when i flashed the bios on my board shegging it up. I had to send for a new bios chip (didnt make any sense sending the whole board, then paying for shipping)

I recommend flashing your bios only when needed.
    e.g. I had a board that couldnt detect 40G Maxtor harddrives properly. I had to flash the bios to fix this problem. It went without a hitch.

Remember ALWAYS use the program on your manufacturer's website when flashing your bios.

hehe....i flash everything on my comps that can be flashed.
    my vid, motherboard, modem.....you nam it, its flashed. 8)
    i have yet to have one accident....wey di wood deh? let me do some knocking ;D
    yes, sometimes a flash may not be helpful and you have to go back, but i have yet to meet it.
    just flashed my dvd rom lately for all region.....
    guess im just a flashy geezer at heart.

(didnt make any sense sending the whole board, then paying for shipping)
    matronyx, all moden motherboards that uses EEPROM chips for the bios can be removed... Cause that's what I did, just remove the chip and send it alone. Send the entire motherboard to the states is a waste of time...

i flash everything on my comps that can be flashed.
    deakie your a brave fella that's all I can say...

Sending the entire chip is a waste of time, however to how I see it. If you try to flash your board and it gets screwed just call it a lost. My neighbour flashed his bored and it got screwed (told him about flashing and he felt he was a wiz) and sent his board to repair and all that got him was a higher shipping cost.

Hey Ropy how well did the replacement chip perform ??? I hate replacemant they never seem as good. :-\

[quote author=Ropy link=board=3;threadid=753;start=0#msg5847 date=1053374739]
    matronyx, all moden motherboards that uses EEPROM chips for the bios can be removed... Cause that's what I did, just remove the chip and send it alone. Send the entire motherboard to the states is a waste of time...deakie your a brave fella that's all I can say...
    [/quote]

In this case it could be removed as we never had the proper tools to do so and did not want to risk damaging the chip or the board by trying to remove it and voiding the warranty. Granted some boards have a easy way of removing the BIOS but some boards, the top brand ones, are alot more delecate. ;D