Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 outsells PS3 by 2:1

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    read. it's not coming from sony. it's been rumoured that they will tho.
    Source:

cnet
    The Digital Home Blog

Why Sony needs to (but can't) drop the price of the PS3

By Don Reisinger

December 30, 2008

In a report that could send shock waves through the video game industry, market research firm iSuppli has detailed the real cost and new savings found in Sony's second-generation Playstation 3.

[...]

Altogether, Sony's second-generation PS3 features a 35 percent total cost reduction from the first-generation model. In dollars and cents, today's PS3 costs Sony about $448.73 to produce, compared to the old model's $690.23 price tag. That said, the lower cost doesn't include software, box contents, and royalty expenses.

Realizing that, and considering the PS3's current price tag of $399, iSuppli has found that Sony is still losing money with each sale of its console. But Andrew Rassweiler, director and principal analyst at iSuppli, believes Sony may be able to break even in 2009.
    THIS SOURCE SAYS OTHERWISE
    http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=69240
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    you do realize that they are losing money on the ps3 RIGHT now? at this point it's about how much money they are willing to lose to gain market share. if they don't do a price cut then that basically means they are content with 3rd place in the US for the foreseeable future.

you do realize that they are losing money on the ps3 RIGHT now? at this point it's about how much money they are willing to lose to gain market share. if they don't do a price cut then that basically means they are content with 3rd place in the US for the foreseeable future.
    ok is ee your point.... but lets see what happens... if ps3 go $299 then i will be buying one for sure
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Wasnt the prediction of price cut this year related to reduced costs in manufacturing the console? might still be losing same amount of money.

They will be making a loss on the console for a while but if they can gain market share they can get some more revenue from games etc.... In microsoft case they are selling parts as addons to the console at high prices, and wii doing the same while sony and dem all in one don't have that luxury to bring in extra revenue. Even the online is free; only thing they can rely on is selling extra controllers and games far as that is concerned.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

havin a blu-ray player with exra features for $299 is a steal
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    Wasnt the prediction of price cut this year related to reduced costs in manufacturing the console? might still be losing same amount of money.
    whoever is manufacturing the console for them by now would have found ways to improve the manufacturing process and reduce costs but it doesnt help they're still losing money on every ps3. and it looks like people are voting with their wallets since it's being outsold by the Wii and 360 by such a huge margin in the US. i read once that Nintendo actually makes more money from selling games than either sony or microsoft since a lot of wii games are developed inhouse. so even when they sell a lot PS3 games they make money but not as much as you would think since other companies have a share of it and most of their big selling games are developed by other companies.

Dell has the 80G PS3 on sale for $340, click on section to see sale price

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...471&lid=566643

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    havin a blu-ray player with exra features for $299 is a steal
    lol dem man ere.... persistent bad

Microsoft's Xbox 360 console has sold over 28 million units worldwide, 8 million more than the Sony Playstation 3.

According to figures from Microsoft, the Xbox 360 is ahead of the Playstation 3 by one million units in Europe and by 7 million in the US.

However, both consoles are being outsold by the Nintendo Wii, which sold 3 million units in the UK and 10.17 million in the US last year.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15792...station_3.html

my take on this, Xbox 28 million in 3 years (Nov 2005-Dec 2008) avg 9.33M per year, PS3 20 million in 2 years (Nov 2006 to Dec 2008) avg 10M per year, so the PS3 not doing too badly, not sure why people are saying the PS3 is doomed. Is just needs a price cut now to really take off, even 50 bucks

US sales is where a lot of people are looking at. the ps3 outsells the 360 in japan and the 360 outsells the ps3 in the US. they can't afford to be outsold 2 to 1 in the US by the 360. US is still the largest market in the world. i'm not even thinking about the wii since the wii is out of their league in terms of sales.