View Poll Results: Which is better choice for a techie a Smartphone or a Netbook?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smartphone

23 63.89%
  • Netbook

13 36.11%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Netbook VS Smartphone

When I spoke of the comparison, this is what I meant...

As much as both technologies show signs of convergence...there are still many tasks that one would do on a Netbook and would not feel as comfortable doing on a phone. The sheer size alone makes it ackward to edit/create documents on a phone.

A phone has a dedicated camera...a netbook has a webcam. Serving two different functions. Though a phone can be tricked into being a webcam...surely that is not practical and the quality is laughable.

These are just a few of the things I am pointing out.

So, while I admit both devices "attempt" to do what the other does...at the end of the day...a phone is a phone...a netbook is a netbook.

And as much as I can browse on my phone...I'd much prefer the real estate of a netbook that weighs 3lbs tops...and while I can make calls through a netbook, I still prefer the practicality and seamless ability of a phone.
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

hmmmm...net book,looks like a psp with a keyboard

One smartphone and one DR laptop. Netbooks are cute. Thats it.
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post
    One smartphone and one DR laptop. Netbooks are cute. Thats it.
    EXACTLY!!! If one really needs any type of computational power for anything really productive. The net book will fail you each time. If your looking for mobility shell out some cash buy a 14 inch notebook that really performs and weights under 3lb's other wise call it a day.

Just like he said above they're cute thats about it. They're kind of frustrating to use as well. The keyboards are very crampped and even if you put 2 gigs of memory in there it'll sting hang..

its gonna be the me or vista of the mobile computational spectrum. (in and out). The concept of mobility with regards to computers needs more refining the Netbook is just 1 stemp on the ladder..

Personally, I'd probably have both. A smartphone is great for getting things on the go - documents, accessing websites, email, music, photos. You can get them pretty quickly, unlike on a laptop where you'd have to boot first. I know netbooks have quick boot times, almost instantaneous I've heard, so it gives you quick access as well. And they are pretty small too. However, there are some things which are probably quicker and more convenient on a smartphone. For example, accessing photos or watching videos while waiting in a line at the bank - far more convenient on a smart phone. Also, for keeping in touch via email and web apps like Twitter and Facebook, a smartphone is just enough of what you need. Why do you need to open a netbook and turn it on when you can use your smartphone that is always on?

Netbooks have their place as well. Recently I recommend a NetBook for someone who wanted an ultra portable device for note taking at conventions and meetings. While a smartphone with a physical keyboard is good for basic note taking, if you want to take serious notes and do stuff on the web, I think a netbook is far more effective.

I'd venture so far as to say I'd own a smartphone, netbook, laptop and desktop computer! The smartphone would go with me everywhere, my laptop would travel with me most places (like on trips to the country or overseas), the netbook with go with me to meetings and almost everywhere, and my desktop computer would sit at home always on the net like a server syncing everything I use web services heavily (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar) so syncing stuff may not even be a big issue - they are already in the cloud. But at least I can leave the desktop on to seed my torrents (legal Linux torrents of cours ).

I can think of scenarios where a netbook would be great, but a laptop would be overkill. For example, I'm going to a meeting where I will need to access notes and documents or do a presentation. The netbook would be perfect. A laptop could do the job too, but why carry a big heavy laptop (any laptop is big and heavy compared with a netbook - Macbook Air excluded ). But if I'm travelling to MoBay and will need to do software development or demo some software, then I'll need my laptop. While on the road to MoBay I may want to update my Facebook profile with photos of the trip, in that case a smartphone is perfect for the job.

So I think they all have their place. All of what I wrote is from the standpoint of someone who works with software and like being connected on the go. For casual computer users, perhaps all they need is a smartphone and a netbook, or a smartphone and a laptop. I thing for what most computer users do (browse the net and do wordprocessing etc) a netbook is fine and may even be able to replace their laptops or desktop computers. Most people never use 80% of the features of their smartphones, so they don't need that either. But for those who actually use their smartphones, a smartphone and a netbook are not necessarily too much to be packing.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

tell you what, get a Nokia N97 when it releases and all ur issues will be resolved
    "Smartphones, the World in a Small Package"

netbook seem to be far superior based on some reading i have been doing.
    Accomplish all things...fail at nothing

update the poll and add (neither.. just get a very portable laptop)

as the owner of a desktop, a full size laptop and a bb..as well as a long-term-loanee of a netbook , i do find that they all have thier strengths and weaknesses.

-when im on the road and have to present things to people or go in meetings (which is basically all the time) - the netbook wins hands down.

honestly in said situations, i dont have any form of time to pack up charger and the associated baggage, and the battery life is excellent, i also have internet everywhere with the GPRS dongle.

-at work i use my laptop, great overall balance of power and portability, i use this the most....

-i just got it..but i find that i've been using the bb pretty heavily, its very versatile..but not anything to do any serious work on.

-and the good old desktop i have at home is basically extra storage..lol

oh and the psp is for games...

but back to the topic...if i had to choose between the two, i'd say netbook...a lot more versatile.
    >>Insert something witty here<<

Nothing beats a laptop wen u want mobility. smart phone on da other hand is in a class by it self (u caa get ur calls on da go 4rm anetbook can u). A net book is a nice device made 4 cafe'z. but does now have more feature dan either da smart phone or da laptop. so hands down I would say the smart phone