Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have DSL but Speed test say am using dial up

Default Have DSL but Speed test say am using dial up

I realize my internet speed was getting a bit slower so i call C&W to find out whats wrong, only2 be told that the full speed was being sent to my house but my modem was only destributing half the speed, so its not their fault. Anyone can tell me what could be the problem.

the modem probaly needs to be reset or you got a 6 for a 9 or probaly you need to switch these people are liers and thief switch to flow and see the ultimate internet speed that flow has, it will amaze you there is nothing like it

Hello,

Please understand that the speed you will receive depends on how far away you are from the nearest DSL Exchange, In Negril for example you can be only 1.5 Miles out of range from the DSL Exchange Office and still have DSL but the speed may decrease by 30-50% easily.

Are the lines old or damaged? This can cause problems as well, Don't reset the modem just yet unless you know how to configure it (if you need assistance just ask)

Also make sure you test it with a server in Jamaica or Miami Florida, USA.

C&W Speed Test

http://bandwidth.cwjamaica.com/

That will give you a more accurate speed test.

Hope this helps you

BTW, You are not alone, I pay for 1MB and get half of that so I know what it feels like

Do you have any other devices behind the DSL modem? Or is your PC directly connected to the CWJ DSL modem?

Some devices, such as Ethernet hubs will cause you to lose half of your bandwidth. In some older wireless routers which have 4 Ethernet ports on the back, the Ethernet ports are derived on a built-in hub. Newer devices tend to have Ethernet switches instead of hubs, and this reduces this effect.

To do a definitive test, connect the PC directly to the DSL modem, and make sure your PC does not have any peer to peer programs running inadvertently.

I have two friend with the same problem, one of them switch to flow and very happy, and the other is about to do the same, cable & wireless will never change, don't believe anything they tell you, cause they always say it's your fault!

Switch to FLOW

I am goin2 test with a different modem and call them back.

connect the computer directly to the modem, check if you have any malware or virus slowing it down, stop all download (bit torrents, ares ect) and re test if getting the same result s try upgrading the adsl modem firmware..........halla back and let us know
    "Dont argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience"
    BB user 7100t-8100-8120-8320-8900-9000-8900-8520-9700-9810

I had a similar problem, made some thread somewhere about it, and what was happening was my phone line wasn't carrying the speed (after like 3 hurricanes and storms etc lines had gotten bad) so the then C&W came and gave me a new line and problem solved. Its bad when a person has a particular problem the solution is to switch. Is like your Honda giving trouble so the solution is to switch to Hummer. geez what kinda techies are we?

anywayz do your modem check, if that doesn't work out, ask them to come in.
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

Quote Originally Posted by doc4computerz View Post
    connect the computer directly to the modem, check if you have any malware or virus slowing it down, stop all download (bit torrents, ares ect) and re test if getting the same result s try upgrading the adsl modem firmware..........halla back and let us know
    C&W did the test and told me the problem was most likely the modem, so i am waitin for a modem so they can run another test