Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 beta 1 performance - How does the OS compare to Vista and XP?

x86. neva wanted to bother with 64bit. I am using a nice little prog to mount images, had to search around after daemon tools/windows warned me of incompatibility

"Pismo File Mount Audit Package"
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

man this get pushed to the 2nd page already. maybe another thread should be made even if its not stickied?
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyImLE3QiEA

That's the one issue I've had with all versions of Windows 7 to date. No idea why it happens in 7, but not in Vista or XP. Any thoughts people?

*EDIT*

Turned off UAC and problem was gone.
    Last edited by khat17; Jan 14, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

overall i like 7 better...uses way less power than vista,(used my ups to see the power load) its does have a few bugs though...
    *When UAC is disabled the gadgets are disabled too
    Daemon and alcohol dont work,no matter how many times restarted. and i just bought the newest version
    when uac is disabled the firewall ask that u start it each time u boot.
    had no MP3 issues....

just my observations so far...

well, everyone seems positive about the new OS.
    so i think it might be worth a try. my question tho is that wen the beta test over, will MS want users to either
    1: buy a LEGIT key to turn the beta into full
    2: buy the OS all over again and reinstall.......

still, this might the one that i decide to buy when it goes final
    i love my country, but i fear my elected officials
    Call me on 3538447.
    topdogclu @ hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolfe Hellscream View Post
    heres a compatability list. since alcohol nor daemon tools would install no matter how many times restarted, I went looking for an alternative and stumbled upon this:

Source

There are probably more. would help to put what you've found doesn't work for you and make it added to this list
    koool

Quote Originally Posted by kev007_2002 View Post
    so i think it might be worth a try. my question tho is that wen the beta test over, will MS want users to either

have to uninstall this one......... M$ says this wont work when the final release is out........

Long time i testing this version, n telling ppl its great......... although i must admit that i dont see much diff on my system....
    Last edited by danthony; Jan 14, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
    Back to square one....., back off the ground now........

Windows 7 is enough to kill Linux on the desktop
    In a bid to focus my bile on something other than Apple for a bit I decided to play with the new Windows 7 beta. I was disappointed. It was pretty good and, if I am right, could result in the move away from Voleware to Linux and OSX being stopped in in its tracks.

Anyway I installed the 64 bit version of Windows 7 on my Phenom 9350e, quad core based machine with 2GB of very fast RAM.

Installation is still slower than anything Linux could dream up, but didn't really require much effort. There was no eye candy at the installation and a couple of times I feared that the process had frozen up. This might be a beta problem and in the final version there will be the usual beating drums or adverts. I gave the installation a clean hard drive to play with although it did offer to upgrade XP for me, which would have been nice if I had known this was an option.

After installation, Windows 7 could not find my wireless dongle, but to be fair neither could Ubuntu. In the end I had to install a Vista version of the thing which sort of worked. Oddly Windows 7 could not find my webcam either, which was a little odd because it was made by Voles in Volish factories in Vole land. I was just about to write up sarcastic comments about this when the OS helpfully directed me to the site where I could get the drivers for the thing. Skype was another problem. Windows 7 directed me to download the latest beta which did work.

So everything was in place and it looked really good. The security nagging is about the same level as Ubuntu.

After years of working on XP and Ubuntu you forget what a decent graphics interface looks like. Vole has spent some money on it and it has several features that make it easy to navigate.

As you would expect, Windows 7 ships with Internet Exploder and after playing around for it a while I started to realise that while I was having no problems with the stability of the OS, I was getting all sorts of hanging and other problems from IE. In the end I downloaded Firefox and the Internet interactions worked like a charm. It is a bit strange that Internet Exploder is more flakey with Windows 7 than it is on Vista, but at the moment it is the weakness in Vole's launch. Fortunately it is not a problem if you install Firebadger.
    7 reasons why Windows 7 will not wreck Ubuntu

One of our competitors has a review of the Windows 7 beta which claims that desktop Linux is doomed — doomed!

Not exactly. Not even approximately.

First let’s understand what 7’s target is. It’s not so much desktop Linux as a particular Linux distro — Ubuntu — that targets the desktop.

Some of these reasons are technological, others social. But the biggest reason is a business reason:
    Last edited by ramesh; Jan 14, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

so hold on, ramesh......are u endorsing Windows..............(looks up in sky to see the clouds part)
    Call me on 3538447.
    topdogclu @ hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by kev007_2002 View Post

why not...it M$ and u know gates gots to rip ppl off iya

na man, u dont get me

what im saying is that when the testing phase is over, will we be required to buy a full copy and reinstall or will we be able to buy a CD key and just change it and turn the beta version already installed into the full final copy
    Call me on 3538447.
    topdogclu @ hotmail.com