Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 beta 1 performance - How does the OS compare to Vista and XP?

Default Windows 7 beta 1 performance - How does the OS compare to Vista and XP?

How does Windows 7 beta 1 compare to Vista and XP in terms of performance? That’s a question that’s been hitting my inbox regularly over the past few weeks. Let’s see if we can’t answer it!

Important note: Before I go any further I feel I need to make a point, and make it clear. The build I’m testing of Windows 7 (build 6.1.7000.0.081212-1400) is a beta build, and as a rule beta builds are usually more geared towards stability than performance. That said, the performance of this build should give us a clue as to how the OS is coming along.

Rather than publish a series of benchmark results for the three operating systems (something which Microsoft frowns upon for beta builds, not to mention the fact that the final numbers only really matter for the release candidate and RTM builds), I’ve decided to put Windows 7, Vista and XP head-to-head in a series of real-world tests to find out which OS comes out top.

The tests

There are 23 tests in all, most of which are self explanatory:
    Install OS - Time it takes to install the OS
    Boot up - Average boot time to usable desktop
    Shut down - Average shut down time
    Move 100MB files - Move 100MB of JPEG files from one hard drive to another
    Move 2.5GB files - Move 2.5GB of mixed size files (ranging from 1MB to 100MB) from one hard drive to another
    Network transfer 100MB files - Move 100MB of JPEG files from test machine to NAS device
    Network transfer 2.5GB files - Move 2.5GB of mixed size files (ranging from 1MB to 100MB) from test machine to NAS device
    Move 100MB files under load - Move 100MB of JPEG files from one hard drive to another while ripping DVD to .ISO file
    Move 2.5GB files under load - Move 2.5GB of mixed size files (ranging from 1MB to 100MB) from one hard drive to another while ripping DVD to .ISO file
    Network transfer 100MB files under load - Move 100MB of JPEG files from test machine to NAS device while ripping DVD to .ISO file
    Network transfer 2.5GB files under load - Move 2.5GB of mixed size files (ranging from 1MB to 100MB) from test machine to NAS device while ripping DVD to .ISO file
    Compress 100MB files - Using built-in ZIP compression
    Compress 1GB files - Using built-in ZIP compression
    Extract 100MB files - Using built-in ZIP compression
    Extract 1GB files - Using built-in ZIP compression
    Install Office 2007 - Ultimate version, from DVD
    Open 10 page Word doc - Text only
    Open 100 page Word doc - Text and images only
    Open simple Excel doc - Basic formatting
    Open complex Excel doc - Including formula and charts
    Burn DVD - Win 7 beta 1 .ISO to disc using CDBurnerXP
    Open 10 page PDF - Text only, using latest Adobe Reader 8
    Open 100 page PDF - Text and images, using latest Adobe Reader 8

These series of tests will pitch Windows 7 build 7000 32-bit against Windows Vista SP1 32-bit and Windows XP SP3 32-bit. The scoring for each of the tests is simple. The winning OS scores 1, the runner up 2 and the loser scores a 3. The scores are added up and the OS with the lowest score at the end wins.

--- http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236

Hmmm....vewy interwesting
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

nester, u could a just put this in the other thread enuh, as Krayzie already posted this link........
    Back to square one....., back off the ground now........

windows 7 is really something to really look forward to...IMO

can windows 7 run on 512 mb memory? i've heard someone say it can but have anyone here tried it
    contact info:
    Cell: 842-1140
    or PM me at anytime

if i recall, the betas of vista/longhorne were exciting as hell too. waiting patiently.
    Do nothing which is of no use.
    The Way is in Training.

yes SgtMac2 they were exciting for sure but i know most if not all of us techies saw bugs in them. so far ive not heard of any serious bugs if any at all in windows 7... so yeah i think we should wait patiently
    contact info:
    Cell: 842-1140
    or PM me at anytime

looking good so far...

Quote Originally Posted by danthony View Post
    nester, u could a just put this in the other thread enuh, as Krayzie already posted this link........
    Sry, the thread title was about a Torrent, So I never read it....
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

windows 7 to me capture vista GUI while trying to get xp performace. i must the performance of the beta version uses less RAm than vista of they keep it that way tey might be onto something

I guess the one where vista beat 7 in office 07 soon cut out when office 14 buss.

ps. just saw the second picture, why did the lower end machine score better on some things?
    Last edited by Mixmasterxp; Jan 2, 2009 at 09:57 PM.

Thumbs up windows 7 beta

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynebrown85 View Post
    windows 7 is really something to really look forward to...IMO

can windows 7 run on 512 mb memory? i've heard someone say it can but have anyone here tried it
    i've bein usin windows 7 beta for sometime now and to be honest the only problem i did get it was my two dvd roms just dissapear until now running 709mb of memory but it stable as hell pretty cool nero 7ultimate cant get it work nor 1click copy pro instead i got dvd shrink 3.2 to work.