Thread: Hotspot creation

Default Hotspot creation

Hey guys i have a Linksys wireless router with dd-wrt firmware installed. How can i make such a setup with a simple splash screen or web page redirection when someone connects to my wireless lan and tries to browse, that prompts them that they need to contact me for purchasing access. the simplest thing would be to just generate a login or passphrase that will be alloted specified time for each user. Any ideas or has anyone create something like this that can shed some light?
    Last edited by lovepython; Dec 31, 2008 at 05:22 PM.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

First off, edit your post remove the part about earning a little extra income as ISPs generally prohibit residential users from selling internet access.

There used to be an application by the name of Chillispot however that project appears to be dead though it did come in some of the builds of DD-WRT. It does exactly what you are looking for and its open source so you could modify the login page to say exactly what you would like. Its successor is CoovaChilli.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    First off, edit your post remove the part about earning a little extra income as ISPs generally prohibit residential users from selling internet access.
    yep, because C&W, LIME, Flow and all other major ISP's not only in Jamaica but also Internationally prohibit this practice of running a paid hot spot from your router or a residential line, To legally achieve this he would need to pay for a Commercial Line ($) or else do it very quietly and work around Big Brother...

lol. everyone turns a hustler now.

mainly because....recession
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Utech22 View Post
    lol. everyone turns a hustler now.

mainly because....recession
    Well if it makes you feel any better you can blame the darn U.S.

Or play the Bush shoe throwing game online

----

Anyway I had tried a Wifi Setup with DD-WRT via my Linksys WRT54GL and could never get it to work so I just finally called it quits and gave up gonna try it again soon cuz I have a commercial Line...

yeh real hustler lol

thanx for the heads up...well right now the one service that comes with dd-wrt is sputnik but its a paid service. the free version that they offer is a free service to users connecting
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

Quote Originally Posted by mjj4363 View Post
    yep, because C&W, LIME, Flow and all other major ISP's not only in Jamaica but also Internationally prohibit this practice of running a paid hot spot from your router or a residential line, To legally achieve this he would need to pay for a Commercial Line ($) or else do it very quietly and work around Big Brother...
    Well the work around is quite simple....A guy on my road did something similar to this but he sold the service to only trusted friends in our community which totalled around 25 of us paying him $1000 per month by running the RJ45 Cable on our roofs and covering it up with Sand and Mall it was quite successful for over 3 years using C&W's ADSL service and only lost his customer base when Flow came in offering 8 megabits for $2400.

1. Get Your Wifi Router
    2. Long Distance Wifi Antennaes
    3. Talk to your Friends in your community
    4. Get Trusted persons
    5. Use a password for each month noting it as a billing cycle
    6. Change that password each month for each new cycle
    7. Monitor your users from your Router's interface and kick off free loaders
    8. I have more tips...Pm me man

Trust me this can be done and BIG Brother can be left in the Dark....Be SKILLFUL MAN....BE INGENIOUS.....
    Last edited by barrettrs; Dec 31, 2008 at 11:48 PM.
    Ricardo Barrett
    Jesus+Education=Success
    BBM ME @ 7A70FCE3
    Whatsapp 1(876) 783-8991

i need to get another router to test out this firmware http://www.coova.org/wordpress/index...erview/gallery the screen shots look promising
    thanx for pointing out the long range antennas i for got about that.