Thread: VLC Install on Ubuntu... help

Default VLC Install on Ubuntu... help

So, I decided to try out ubuntu, got it installed on a lappy. I want to install vlc because it seems the media player it has is crap, and obviously vlc is the best ... So, I go into the synaptec package manager doohicky, and I search for vlc, nothing....
    So, I hop onto google, and I check the vlc website, cut a long agonising story of failed searching short; I found out I need the repository url to get my beloved vlc installed, is there anyone here who can give me a little help in doing this???

Ramesh, anybody, duh, mi a beg yuh, help!!!

Edit, I found a few sites/forums where the solution they give is to add this to the repository list: then refresh, and redo a search....

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/c-korn/ubuntu hardy main

However, after I add that URL, it still doesn't find VLC...
    Last edited by Anaarki; Dec 22, 2008 at 08:19 PM.
    Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

Strange, I didn't have any trouble installing VLC. It was there on Synaptic, I typed vlc into the Quick Seach box and it was the first item on the list.

Go into Software > Repositories > Ubuntu Software and make sure all of them are ticked. Close and click Reload. Then try again.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Well, they were all selected... I guess i'll have to go through and deselect them, then reselect them and try again... synaptic gives me another little bit of trouble too, I set it to use a proxy and had to change it back when I had a direct connection and it wouldn't stop searching for the proxy, I got rid of that by setting it to another proxy, then removing tha proxy and setting it back to direct connection and trying again...
    Good news is, I got some working codecs for the totem player installed, but I still want my vlc ...
    Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

the regular Add/Remove doesnt work? thats how i installed it on mine.
    >>Insert something witty here<<

I installed vlc last night using the following command:
    sudo apt-get install vlc
    If you try that and it does not work post the error.

oh know ur problem....instead of searching for vlc search for videolan. when i installed vlc thats how i found it. u can get additional codecs by installing ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Last edited by lovepython; Dec 23, 2008 at 07:29 PM.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton