Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: UTECH Comp Sci. Degree now needs 2 A'-Levels

Default Re: UTECH Comp Sci. Degree now needs 2 A'-Levels

Well I don't know what the situation is at Mona but at Cave Hill we have two CS programs, one CS and the other IT.

The first year of both programs are the same however in second and final year is where they differ:

2nd yr CS

Discrete Maths
    Software Engineering I
    Information Structures
    Computer Architecture....

2nd yr IT

Discrete Maths
    Object Oriented Programming (java)
    Software Engineering I
    Information Structures

3rd yr CS
    Design & Analysis of Algorithsm
    Operating Systems
    electives

3rd yr IT
    Database Mgmt Systems
    Web-Based Applications
    electives

The only way a non-IT major cud some these courses (especially the 3rd yr ones due to 2nd yr prerequisities is to be a double CS major)

The Elective pool is also somewhat different in the two majors.

I chose IT (joint with Accounting) over CS (joint with Accounting) becuase it's more practical to me than CS. It's all about what fits you, not which school or programme is better or not.

Does Mona also offer a IT major in addition to CS?

I am in final yr and the IT part of my program is this:

1st yr:

Computer Programming I (C)
    Computer Programming II (C++)
    Introduction to Web Based Technologies
    Basic Introductory Maths
    Applied Stats

2nd yr

Discrete Maths
    Software Engineering I
    Information Structures
    Object Oriented Programming (Java)
    Microcomputer Applications for Management

3rd Yr

Sofware Engineering II
    Database Management Systems
    Web Based Applications
    Summer Research Project (already done; got an A )
    Management Information Systems

which is alot better to me than the CS program here where my friends are doing the CS stuff above..maybe Mona should look into doing something similar there.
    Last edited by digimar; Nov 26, 2004 at 11:45 PM.
    "It is better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all."

I've listed below the courses in the UWI Computer Science program.
    The first is Computer Science & the second Computer Studies (Comp Sci + Business)

*** COMPUTER SCIENCE DEGREE ***

YEAR I

INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER SCIENCE I
    INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER SCIENCE II

YEAR II

ANALYSIS OF ALGORITHMS
    DIGITAL LOGIC SYSTEMS
    COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE AND ORGANIZATION
    SOFTWARE ENGINEERING – DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION
    OBJECT TECHNOLOGY

YEAR III

OPERATING SYSTEMS
    COMPUTER COMMUNICATIONS & NETWORKS
    INTRODUCTION TO ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    IMPLEMENTATION OF INTERPRETERS
    DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
    INFORMATION SYSTEMS IN ORGANISATIONS
    USER INTERFACE DESIGN
    IMPLEMENTATION OF COMPILERS
    THEORY OF COMPUTATION
    REAL-TIME EMBEDDED SYSTEMS
    GROUP PROJECT

**** COMPUTER STUDIES OPTION *****

YEAR I

Introduction to Computer Science (I)
    Introduction to Computer Science (II)
    Basic Introductory Mathematics
    Functions of Real Variables
    Introduction to Microeconomics
    Introduction to Macroeconomics
    plus
    either
    Introduction of Financial Accounting
    Introduction to Cost and Management Accounting
    or
    Introduction to Sociology I
    Introduction to Sociology II

YEAR II/YEAR III

Information Structures and Algorithms
    Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science
    File Design and Implementation
    Operating Systems
    Introduction to Software Engineering
    Database Management Systems
    Information Systems in Organizations
    plus
    Four one YEAR III course from straight Computer Science Degree
    plus
    A minimum of 6 additional courses from Computer Science, Mathematics,
    Economics or Management Studies.
    IT Consultant

Like I said, the only way to do most of the courses is to do the double major (in ur case BSC Comp Sci). But UWI here has the option to do the courses with a business major....which is different to Mona's CS program (where there is no IT equivalent unless u do a entire BSC in CS only) where you can apply them unlike stuff like computer Architecture, etc.

digimar

Cave Hill seems to have a far better program as far as I'm concerned. I'm fascinated as to why UWI hasn't followed suit. It just makes so much more sense. The only difference I see with the Cave Hill IT and CS degrees and the UTECH program is that where Cave Hill makes a separation between the two degrees, UTECH does the content of both courses in the same degree program. No need to double major or anything like that. You get the full 9 yards in one degree course.

I think Nder's earlier concerns start to make a lot more sense now, considering that Cave Hill saw a need to make the CS and IT degrees separate. Nder? If you're reading - hats off to you man - That was an excellent observation. I admit I didn't have the foresight to understand what you were getting at earlier.

Question though Digimar:

Does Cave Hill allow students to learn industry standard productivity tools in their IT degree? I didn't see any details of that in the 3rd year. Is that a minor detail you omitted or are those courses among the electives?
    Last edited by Xenocrates; Nov 27, 2004 at 03:53 PM.

at Xeno

I'm looking at UWI Cave Hill vs UWI Mona and I the only difference I see is the Web Based Applications offered at cave hill which is covered between UWI's Software Engineering and User Interface Design courses..
    IT Consultant

The main difference comes in the final year electives where if a student has done one course or the other, they can't do many of the final year courses that IT majors can. Cave Hill have been adding electives that only IT majors can do. Especially this year and there is word that they are many to come.

I am just stating that the difference between Mona CS & Cave Hill IT (not CS) is that you are not forced to do courses that you cannot really apply in the work force. That time is better spent doing other stuff.

The main difference comes in the final year electives where if a student has done one course or the other, they can't do many of the final year courses that IT majors can. Cave Hill have been adding electives that only IT majors can do. Especially this year and there is word that they are many to come. I have many friends here who changed their major froom CS to IT after seeing the difference in the two degrees.

I am just stating that the difference between Mona CS & Cave Hill IT (not CS) is that you are not forced to do courses that you cannot really apply in the work force. That time is better spent doing other stuff.

My goal wasnt to compare Mona and Cave Hill programs, it was jus to suggest that maybe Mona could take a similar approach into seperating the two so that students have a greater choice.

I understand you werent comparing them but I'm just trying to clear up some misunderstandings for the benefit of people thinking about going to either institution.

Mona offers electives too as a matter of fact you can do CS as a double major with any other program that UWI offers there people doing MATH& CS, GEOgraphy& CS, chemistry, accounts, psychology... I do Electronics & CS you do any major along with a CS major or if you want you can just do some other courses for your own personal or professional interest. I didnt bother to list the electives cause you can do anything else that you want. You are in no way confined to CS courses only.

so you're choices are not limited at all. CS majors can do any other major/electives they wish they are not limited to courses in the faculty or department.
    Last edited by wiz; Nov 28, 2004 at 06:01 PM.
    IT Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by wiz
    Mona offers electives too as a matter of fact you can do CS as a double major with any other program that UWI offers there people doing MATH& CS, GEOgraphy& CS, chemistry, accounts, psychology... I do Electronics & CS you do any major along with a CS major or if you want you can just do some other courses for your own personal or professional interest. I didnt bother to list the electives cause you can do anything else that you want. You are in no way confined to CS courses only.
    The same thing exists here. I'm not talking about doing an additional major at all. All I was saying was that in the CS dept specifically persons have two major options instead of simply doing CS, so you can choose which one has the suits that best suit your goals. That's it.

Either way, pound for pound, I still think Cave Hill kicks *****. That IT based degree is worth the price of admission alone. Only thing is that since UTECH is already doing the same thing, well, I don't have to leave the country. Thanks for the heads up Digimar. I never knew Cave Hill was going on so well! Sweet!