Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: UTECH Comp Sci. Degree now needs 2 A'-Levels

Default Re: UTECH Comp Sci. Degree now needs 2 A'-Levels

Quote Originally Posted by Cler1c
    well i have no experience but i have heard that a utech student .. due to the belief of technical experience ... gets accepted in positions over a uwi student.
    then again i beleive its not wat u know but who u know suh it dont really matter.
    - Excellent point. But you can believe the hype. A good example: Government, Cable & Wireless, DigiCel and virtually any IT based entity in the country - They all prefer to hire UTECH students because they're cheaper to hire. In other words, they don't require training. Government in particular prefers UTECH students for all IT positions. I speak from experience.

I know only 1 person in Government's IT sections that came from UWI (and that doesn't mean there aren't more of them - I've just never met them - and I think I've met most of them so far). The rest are all UTECH grads. If that's not proof, I don't know what is. I find that UWI grads are better suited for management. But you know what happens when an organization gets top heavy right? Check this out:

Most UWI students beeline for the Masters degree immediately after doing a B.Sc. because practically, they're more likely to get a job that way. But what's funny Cler1c, is that Gov't places such importance on IT roles, that UTECH people in IT positions are getting similar paychecks to UWI students in manegerial positions. Yes you heard right.

But there aren't as many manegerial positions as there are technical IT positions, and to get into a manegerial position, it depends on who you know, or more likely, who likes you - which corroborates your point Cler1c. What you know in that case is completely inconsequential. That's the case with many IT influenced organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocrates
    Wiz

You've made some very excellent points. So lest any one misunderstand me (as it tends to be the case) let me make a few things clear:

1. I in no way intended to start a thread that fosters competitive debate about which university is better. I was merely updating folks on happenings @ UTECH. In fact, I believe each institution has its strengths, it's just a matter of how you want to enter the working world. As such:

2. I am in no way denegrating UWI students or UWI's course or UWI. I am merely stating facts. No need for anyone to get defensive. Both are equally strong institutions with their own strengths and weaknesses. I would not do a degree in medicine at UTECH. That's for sure!

3. I do not believe that UWI Comp Sci. grads are useless or incompetent or otherwise - in fact, one little detail I left out of my previous postings (in order to keep it short - and it still wasn't short enough) was that all the true computer geniuses I know went to UWI, but they never integrated well right off the bat out here - in fact, they either ended up:

a. Starting their own business (which took time to get off the ground)
    b. Working overseas where their knowledge actually has practical application
    c. Lecturing @ UWI (or UTECH or IMP etc...)

That's not to say that UWI grads don't get jobs. That could be no further from the truth. In fact, an interesting observation is that UWI grads are better able to abstract and apply themselves than UTECH grads who tend to be affixed to a certain methodology. That can either be a strength or a weakness depending on your personality. But every coin has a flipside:

Have you ever heard of the brain loop phenomenon? It's a condition where someone does a degree that is so specialized or so theory based or so highly sophisticated, that it has very little practical application in the local market place, except to teach it again in order to survive. Such degrees only allow the pursuer to know more and more about less and less. That's exactly what I'm running away from. Because the more I know about less, the less useful I become to more of the market. You follow?
    Xeno...I don't know why you brought up this issue of ppl being defensive about the diff between UWI/Utech. As I stated before, this has been an ongoing issue for years. I also stated that selecting between UWI/UTech boils down to preference based on what an individual may be looking for.

The fact of the matter is that many ppl from UWI have gone on to be very successful...so this argument about UWI being only theory based doesn't really wash. Most of the ppl I have worked with studied at UWI and they are darn good IT ppl, some of the best around. I know of one who holds a senior consulting position at 1 of the leading financial institutions, many of them are in Canada as well. I don't think going to UTech as oppose to UWI means that you are going to come out on top. At the end of the day it has a lot to do with the individual and how they apply what they have learnt.

There are however, always exceptions to the rule, and some organisational dynamics do prefer UWI students - like IT organisations that specialize in business process re-engineering or solutions management. This is an almost completely theoretical (or non-technical) field of IT and the final deliverable is contracted out to big software development firms like Management Control Systems (another UTECH student haven) who actually build the software based on a Software Requirements Definition provided by the BPR company. Such a company would thrive on UWI students (the converse is also true) because their focus is a more of an open-ended theoretical application of IT for business development, rather than a application deliverable. They call these companies Consultancies because their employees make recommendations and initiate BPR exercises. However, they're not actually the ones building the software.

So I don't want anyone to think that I'm belittling UWI students. However, where manegerial and technical positions abound, there's more of the latter than the former. That's just the reality of things.

-[Edit]-

...and I agree with your wholeheartedly AK - make no mistake! That is why I started that post you quoted with those three points. Those are the points which address your concerns.
    Last edited by Xenocrates; Nov 23, 2004 at 10:53 AM.

At the end of the day, just attending one of these institutions isn't going to get you the value you pay for. You have to put in a lot of hard work on your own to supplement what they teach you. I'm a UWI grad. I got good jobs after I finished. I know other UWI grads who did the same. Much of Fiscal Services is UWI grads straight from the BSc. I also know UTECH grads who had similar fortunes. The common traits in all of them are that they had initiative and were hard workers - regardless of the programme they were in. These people were able to recognize whatever deficiencies there were in their experience/training, and work to improve upon them.

Chose the programme that brings you closest to your goals, then work, work, work until you get where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight
    At the end of the day, just attending one of these institutions isn't going to get you the value you pay for. You have to put in a lot of hard work on your own to supplement what they teach you. I'm a UWI grad. I got good jobs after I finished. I know other UWI grads who did the same. Much of Fiscal Services is UWI grads straight from the BSc. I also know UTECH grads who had similar fortunes. The common traits in all of them are that they had initiative and were hard workers - regardless of the programme they were in. These people were able to recognize whatever deficiencies there were in their experience/training, and work to improve upon them.

Chose the programme that brings you closest to your goals, then work, work, work until you get where you need to be.
    Precisely my point BCK.

Darn...something must be wrong here...I find of late am in agreement with BCK...we usually disagree about almost everything under the sun...but I digress

Last edited by Xenocrates; Nov 23, 2004 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsKiss
    Precisely my point BCK.

Darn...something must be wrong here...I find of late am in agreement with BCK...we usually disagree about almost everything under the sun...but I digress
    Heeheehee It is truly a Kodak Moment....and the Irony is that one is Graduate of UWI and one is a Graduate of UTECH
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastrodamus
    Heeheehee It is truly a Kodak Moment....and the Irony is that one is Graduate of UWI and one is a Graduate of UTECH
    LOL...just goes to show that whether we are from UWI or UTech, we are not so different after all.

Well it's either that or the fact that am here in Jamaica that's making me so agreeable or its the darn flu that am picking up from playing Florence Nightingale, that could be addling my brain. I wonder what it could be?

isn't this thread suppose to be about the UTECH comp Sci. degree? why are we having a discussion between uwi and UTECH? Why cant we stay on topic
    ChAos AnD cOnfLicT ArE mY ParEntS

Quote Originally Posted by Malloc-X
    isn't this thread suppose to be about the UTECH comp Sci. degree? why are we having a discussion between uwi and UTECH? Why cant we stay on topic
    I was wondering how long it would take for some one to be bothered by the turn in our thread. I will never understand why it is we have to make an issue of every lil thing. The funy thing is that the change is subtle, we are still talking about UTech.

When having a conversation it usually takes all kinds of twist and turns, not stay at the same all the time. The same thing will happen on a forum and as long as we don't go way off topic (then again even if we do so what?) and we are respectful to each other thats enough for me.

The fact of the matter is that life is not static, it's ever changing and I believe we should learn to embrace changes as long as it doesn't go against ourt moral fibre. Personally I love changes, the way I see it, its a way to learn new things and to grow as an individual and am all for learning and growth. The Spanish has a saying Saber es Poder and I won't even say what it means. I know at least 2 individuals on here who will know and based o what I know of those 2 individuals they are ppl who are appears to always seek more knowledge. They also have a great sense of humour. Thaey are my kinda ppl.