Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UTECH Comp Sci. Degree now needs 2 A'-Levels

Default Re: UTECH Comp Sci. Degree now needs 2 A'-Levels

She's playing Kevin. She is a former UTECH student herself so she knows more than anyone else what the workload's like. Trust me, she just pulling toes.

I didn't miss the details. But we are not sure what they are going to do with the extra year as yet. But its kindof a weak argument that it will be used as an extra qualification year if they are going to require A Level to get in in the first place.

And back to the semantic argument. In programming jargon, if you deprecate a function you are allowed to continue using it for a while (so the 4 year degree is now deprecated). After a period of time, the function is replaced with a new function (it usually performs the same task but in a different way) and the old one becomes obsolete (it can no longer be used). So in 2006/2007 the 4 year program will be replcaed by the new 5 year program and will become obsolete.

"And in case you really don't know what utech is well known for", Um, I do know what its know for. First hand too. I spent four years there. Just got parole this year. So I'm not too worried about the content of the degree. I'm just worried that they might loose their focus in all this restructuring halabaloo. One thing that I've always maintained is that UTech has a very well designed programme. But its never executed well. So if they add more overhead without first sorting themselves out, they may just mess things up more.

Personally, I think 5 years is alot of time to spend in any institution unless they will be incorporating an internship programme. In the same 5 years one person would spend at UTech doing a Comp Sci degree they could go to UWI (just a suggestion here) and get a 3 year degree, then start working and do their Masters while gaining experience. In the end, they would be in a better position than the person who spent 5 years at UTech studying. Knowledge is worth zero without application.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

Ok... Nder

If you wished to get into a Unversity in the UK with CXC passes alone. They will admit you to the institution but you will be required to do a FOUNDATION YEAR, before you talk the 4 year degree. That foundation course will be tailored towards the degree you have opted to do. That is a total of 5 years. If you have A level qualification then you will begin your 4 years Degree.

UTECH (I am assuming), has adapted the same principle. If you do not have A' levels to do the program, you will be required to do a foundation year, which they will tailor towards their 4 year Comp Sci degree. This will total 5 years. If you don't want to be there for 5 years then simply do your A' Levels and you will only do the 4 year program. (By the way if you do A' Levels at a traditional high school it will total six years as you have to do 2 years at sixth form and then the 4 year degree program)

Regarding the issue of UTECH's course content, at this point UTECH is top notch on hands on experience.
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

The A-level Xtra Year Is'nt much of concern since in my year.

60% - Have done the 2 years of sixth form
    30% - Have done the 1 year out sixth form
    10% - Have not done sixth form

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocrates
    She's playing Kevin. She is a former UTECH student herself so she knows more than anyone else what the workload's like. Trust me, she just pulling toes.
    LOL....Xeno...I gotta love ya, I can always trust that you will be one of the very few (and I do mean few) who can understand my brand of humour. Nevermind the fact that I go out of my way to post in such away that one would think even the youngest of minds could understand. I have a 10 year old niece and even she can understand my humour and mischieveousness. Makes me wonder where do I go wrong here

Anyway, lemme not stray from the topic

Quote Originally Posted by nder
    ...I spent four years there. Just got parole this year.
    - Hehehe, hey, that last sentence - that's funny man! I'm serious! Had me rolling for a bit.

Personally, I think 5 years is alot of time to spend in any institution unless they will be incorporating an internship programme.
    - But what do you think about spending 1 year to do A'-Level qualification instead of going to 6th form and doing two years? I think it works out better for students in the long run. After finishing 5th form, they could go to 6th form for 1 year (or sit out a year until they're 16) and then go str8 to UTECH. Personally, unless your 6th form is setup like Campion's, I think it's an utter waste of time. Furthermore, if you manage to make it into Campion's 6th form, odds are that you'll want to study overseas anyway (because Campion's 6th form is THAT good). Either way I think it makes perfect sense. Nastro hit the nail on the head, so I won't say more on that.

In the same 5 years one person would spend at UTech doing a Comp Sci degree they could go to UWI (just a suggestion here) and get a 3 year degree, then start working and do their Masters while gaining experience.
    - In addition to what Nastro already said, a Masters degree is worthless without prior applicable experience. Almost EVERY UWI B.Sc. comp sci graduate I know, has very little in terms of marketable computer skills right off the bat - MARKETABLE being the operative word. People who know me know that I have always criticized the UWI degree because:

It is structured in such a way (using the North American credit standard) that in adding to a few core courses, students can choose the subjects they want to do, which in 90% of the cases, allows them to graduate without learning any marketable skills, because they will only choose the easiest subjects that give them the required credits for the semester.

As a result, UWI students graduate in folds every year with a Comp Sci B.Sc. degree and still can't do something as basic as building a database in 3rd or fourth normal form! UTECH doesn't give students that kind of freedom and it pays off.

UWI gives you a GOOD foundation. UTECH gives you a GOOD foundation + Marketable Skills. The final year @ UTECH is what UWI doesn't have. That's why UTECH's degree is 4 years, and UWI's is 3. If I had to spend an extra year to make myself marketable without having to spend extra money AFTER I graduate to get marketable skills, or worry about getting a job because I lack experience or skills and working my way up from the plebs level, then so be it.
    Last edited by Xenocrates; Nov 20, 2004 at 12:14 PM.

In the end, they would be in a better position than the person who spent 5 years at UTech studying.
    - Not true, based on everything I said in the previous post. But it's funny you should say this:

Knowledge is worth zero without application.
    - because that is EXACTLY why I wouldn't go do a Comp Sci. Degree @ UWI (at twice the school fee of UTECH!!) for all the aforementioned reasons.

Wait a minute, aren't you supposed to be arguing against my points and not for them?

Whose side are you on anyway? I bet you're doing this now:

Anyways yute, rest assured; The UTECH people know what they're doing. Their admin does have its issues, but the skillset you leave with is priceless, both in terms of time and money. You of all persons should know that.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsKiss
    When it comes to accreditations not many ppl understand it. Not something you want to assume or skimp on the explanations, especially since there are lots of youngsters on this forum
    I love my fellow techjamaicans, they are so smart
    ChAos AnD cOnfLicT ArE mY ParEntS

All this is very interesting, and good news. Good looking out X-dude for giving us the heads up. I especially love the orientation of courses along the lines of the professional certifications. This is something I've been advocating in tertiary IT education for some time. It just makes sense.

So what's UWI gonna do to keep up the pace?

Where I want to see some revolution now is in the field of post-graduate IT education. There needs to be more and better options for those of us who can't afford to do overseas Masters degrees.