Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: UTECH Comp Sci. Degree now needs 2 A'-Levels

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocrates
    - Like Tre sez, it's quite likely. The plus side is that you'll be exempted from about 60 - 80% of the courses. So you could use the free time to work. If you're exempted from 80% of more of the first year subjects, it's quite likely that you will just be bumped to 2nd year
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconTech
    yow, i'm at vtdi right now but a want to go to utec next year, are they going to let me do over first year
    Falcon, is VTDI - Vocational Training & Development Institute?? If you want to know if you going to be exempt from 1st year then you have to find out if VTDI has any affliations/agreement with UTECH.

I got an Associate Degree and it didn't garauntee me any exemptions at all (even though i though i would be starting in 2nd year). Unless the institution your attending has some sort of agreement with UTECH, its going to be close to impossible to skip a year and troublesome to get exemptions.

When i switched to UTECH after my Associates Degree, i got exempted from Basic Electronics and got exempted from Coursework in Networking. That was it!! I had to fight to get the second exemption cause the course outline was EXACTLY the same and they denied me. So i wrote a letter and they denied me again. So i wrote a letter and setup a meeting with the Programme Director. It was only then that thye said Ok and exempted me from the course work and but not the final. He then explained to me that yes the course is the same but the way my final was done was too easy (i did a project for my final).

The course outline for my Associate Degree looked similar to the UTECH course outline. However, they said that the final exam wasn't ahrd enough and i had to do UTECH's final exam. Its things like that they consider when they're giving exemptions (only if they don't have an agreement with the institution you applying from).

FT - Be proactive. I wasn't. Take the time and do the research. Talk to the programme directors and programme leaders. They are the ones making the decisions. You can look at your course and match it with Utech's and you still don't get exempt.
    Last edited by zRo ToLeRaNcE; Feb 2, 2006 at 04:30 PM.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocrates
    I should also let you know that the UTECH degree program has as of yesterday, secured international accreditation through the University Council of Jamaica. Yeah you heard right. Now we're in a similar league to the University of the West Indies. It's ooon bra.

But one of the most important revisions has been the following updates: The final year of the degree program has been revised into two majors which succinctly follow industry standard certifications:

Enterprise Computing - Microsoft Certified System Developer/Microsoft Certified Database Administrator. Students will specialize in programming with the Microsoft Visual Studio development Which is the entry-level equivalent.

You heard it on TechJamaica first. Happy Hunting.
    What is a Microsoft Certified System Developer? the initials for this is MCSD, the only MCSD I know of is Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer? This however is not an entry-level certification. Not to say that UTech could not follow that curriculum, however it would more like follow the MCAD, Microsoft Certified Application Developer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...d_Professional

Wink

UTECH A DI BOSS...

UWI is jus a place to go to spend 3 years cuz they feel lazy to take 4 comprehensive years to get a real IT degree from UTECH...simple and plain like that...
    Where there is a will there is a way

Quote Originally Posted by hottbwoyjp View Post
    UWI is jus a place to go to spend 3 years cuz they feel lazy to take 4 comprehensive years to get a real IT degree from UTECH...simple and plain like that...
    lol

Kids today ...

I do believe that Utech is a more practical institution. They prepare you for the working world. UWI kills you with theory.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by slo_phkr View Post
    I do believe that Utech is a more practical institution. They prepare you for the working world. UWI kills you with theory.
    lol

I guess I should be thankful that I'm still alive then.

I went to UWI too and it is a miracle i'm alive lol

wah bout vtdi is it good

and if i do cmcs at pcc that can carry u into the second year of utech computer science program

Is a old post this you dig up.

Once you get exemption with the cmcs you should be able to go to second year.
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com