Thread: Installing Linux on a HP dv9000 Laptop...HELP and Suggestions needed!

Post Installing Linux on a HP dv9000 Laptop...HELP and Suggestions needed!

So i have been wanting to partition my hard drive to install Linux OS on my dv9000 laptop so that i can switch between both Linux and Vista...i am not sure if its a good idea...i love Linux but i do not think i have enough experience with it to "do away with" windows...as much as i would love to ...anyway, i need your comments and suggestions please....
    JA-MEK-I-CAN

Doin away with windows is not advisable as we are so dependent on it for compatibility, but if u really intend to do away with it make it a gradual process because as a Linux user it is going to be important that you know how to use the console and that takes time to learn, but i do think its a more stable OS than windows
    If God be for us who can be against us

You can try virtualizing Linux on Windows.
    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...62981,00.html#
    do some research and explore the array of possibilities.
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Yeah thats actually a pretty good idea to virtualize linux u can use a virtual software like VM ware. Or u can even run the linux distribution live from the CD u can do that with ubuntu

^^ Yes running linux from a live cd is a good option
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Ubuntu or Mandriva are the best options for pple seeking a windows like experience if u want something more advance try fedora core

Quote Originally Posted by angeleta View Post
    So i have been wanting to partition my hard drive to install Linux OS on my dv9000 laptop so that i can switch between both Linux and Vista...i am not sure if its a good idea...
    I have had Ubuntu and Windows dual booting on my laptop for over 2 years. No problems so far. Never tried it with Vista. Not sure if there are any special steps necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleta View Post
    i love Linux but i do not think i have enough experience with it to "do away with" windows...as much as i would love to ...anyway, i need your comments and suggestions please....
    Try using Ubuntu. It is very similar to Windows XP. There is good documentation so the learning curve is not hard.

The last JALUG meeting was scheduled to teach people to do exactly this. Perhaps you could pm Meggido for info. on the next JALUG meeting.

It is a good idea to backup your data and ensure you have all your installation disks before making changes on your laptop. People tend to make a few mistakes when they are learning new stuff.

Ramesh has a few posts on dual booting Windows/Ubuntu. Also googling "dual boot Vista Ubuntu" should turn up lots of articles.

I've dual booted Vista with Ubuntu. No problems occurred specific to Vista in installation. For a first time user I usually recommend installing a second internal hard drive, rather than partitioning as partitioning can destroy data, especially if the Windows partition refuses or is slow to resize. Since you are using a laptop, a second internal drive is out of the question (usually).

If you use the same hard drive:
    Make sure to defragment Windows before resizing, back up important data, etc. You may need to resize it to make space for the other partitions below.

For same or other hard drive
    Try to avoid the Guided Partitioning that is default in Ubuntu or the automatic resizing option. I've had problems with those, especially on slow systems. Manual partitioning is best, but recommended for experienced users. For most Ubuntu setups, I recommend the following as minimum:

Type: swap
    Partition: swap
    Minimum space: 1024MB (more if you have higher than 1GB RAM)

Type: ext3
    Partition: /
    Minimum space: 10GB (Can go up to 20GB)

Type: ext3
    Partition: /home
    Minimum space: 20GB+ (your user files go here so make this as high as you need)

These sizes are based on my experience. Your actual usage may vary.

I have partitions for /setup and /media as well, but those are optional, especially for small hard drives as in laptops.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

A good place to start learning Ubuntu is by virtualizing it. I prefer VirtualBox but VMWare is just as good. If you want to dual-boot use the Wubi installer - installation is a breeze and it installs Ubuntu within your windows partition (on a filesystem).

Good luck!
    OS X/Ubuntu