Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet

Default Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet

Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet
    By Eric Krangel

* Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet

(alleyinsider.com) -- Sony's (SNE) PS3 is dying on the shelves.

Alone among the three major videogame consoles, sales of the PS3 are down about 19% from November 2007, according to the latest stats from the NPD Group. Sony was only able to sell 378,000 PS3s this November, compared to 466,000 last year.

And the problem for Sony isn't the recession, it's the PS3. Microsoft (MSFT) put up respectable numbers with its Xbox 360, selling 836,000 units vs 777,000 in November 2007. And Nintendo's (NTDOY) Wii continues to dominate the market, more than doubling sales from 981,000 to 2.04 million.

So why is the PS3 flopping so badly?

1. It's the most expensive console on the market, $150 - $200 more than its rivals. Even if you believe the video game industry is "recession-proof" (it isn't), a tanking economy makes consumers more price-conscious.
    2. The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".
    3. The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console. "LittleBigPlanet" has generated decent buzz but isn't a game-changer, and neither is Sony's new virtual world "Home."

There's really only one option left for Sony to remain in the game: deep price cuts, and not just for people with good credit. Tell yourself the PS3 has superior graphics if it makes you feel better, but a $400 console with a mediocre game library simply cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy
    --- www.cnn.com

Glub, glub.............
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Oh dear it didn't do as well as it did this month, last year...

Sony could take out things from the ps3 and make a cheaper one but i guess they don't see the point in a crippled console like M$ does.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

The PS3 hating getting kinda stale now still. What's the point? Some people get XBOX, some get Wii, some get PS3, some get two or all three. Whatever ...

The failcake is there for all to share.....
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    Oh dear it didn't do as well as it did this month, last year...

Sony could take out things from the ps3 and make a cheaper one but i guess they don't see the point in a crippled console like M$ does.
    They apparently don't see the point in success and profitabilty either...

Sony don't need anyone to help them bake the failcake. They are doing it by themsleves, there is no value to be percieved by consumers at the PS3's current price point. Is not my fault you help funding the lifestyle of PS3 managmenent and getting nothing back.... Jobs are being lost everywhere, and people are cutting costs. Blu-ray players are now at $200.

Complain all the hell you all like, the proof of the cake is in it's failing.
    Last edited by Nestersan; Dec 14, 2008 at 10:38 AM.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

what they need to do is let ppl hack the ps3. Then we see the sales similar to what the 360 has

Lower costs would help but they also need to educate the noob masses. I think a ps3 would be a better buy than its 360 counter parts but most ppl would just buy the 360 and take on the costs that come their way.

"oh crap i need a HDD"
    "50$ a year for live?"
    "maybe its time i bought a bluray player"
    "Oh man i need wireless to get the net from my computer room without running a massive cable to the living room"
    "hmm i need some proper hd action"

and the most costly one "Oh my look at all those sexy games on the ps3."

Why u bringing psp into this? Anyway... obviously the psp would lose to a remade system. New > Old
    Last edited by semitop; Dec 14, 2008 at 10:40 AM.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

what they need to do is let ppl hack the ps3. Then we see the sales similar to what the 360 has

Lower costs would help but they also need to educate the noob masses. I think a ps3 would be a better buy than its 360 counter parts but most ppl would just buy the 360 and take on the costs that come their way.

"oh crap i need a HDD"
    "50$ a year for live?"
    "Oh man i need wireless to get the net from my computer room without running a massive cable to the living room"

You forgot:
    "I have to go buy another one 'cause this one just went RROD"
    and:
    "I have to go buy another one to play on Live, 'cause M$ just raised teh banhammer again, and this one's illegally modded.

maybe their rep saying "Prices will be more competitive come March" has something to do with this... anyways nester your 'failcake' ting is infested wid green fungus now why u never drop this in your other thread instead a mek a new one

"oh crap i need a HDD"
    "50$ a year for live?"

• You can get a HD starting at $19.95.
    • Some people actually don't want to play multiplayer, and the ones that do pay for Live gold find that functional servers, and in game chat supported across all titles, better user experience beat Sony's pretend also ran network, the only thing SOny has going for them online is that it is better than the pathetic attempts made by Nintendo.
    • Samsung has a nice one for $200.00
    • BOTH Systems support 1080p, but only a small number of games are 1080p from jump without upscaling.

Anyhow..Sales figures are what I quoted, so you can go buy a couple million PS3's if you like, to make up the difference..
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

Ps3 is the best thing for me ppl jumping on xbox wagon because its cheap thats all.
    We sell only the latest and the best product and we don't have only one in stock so never be afraid to buy CONTACT US @ 3631007 OR BBM 7A0E8BF1