Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can two laptop share internet wirelessly without a router

Default can two laptop share internet wirelessly without a router

i just got flow internet and there are two laptop in my house one belongs to me the other to my brother we have not purchase a wireless router as yet but i'm curious could the two laptops share the internet wirelessly without a wireles router ,both laptops are wifi compatible ,if so how do i do this and if not is there a switch that i can buy to plug in modem to share the lan connection , i would appreciate all of your suggestions

no chrstphr25 they couldnt share wireless connection without the wireless router. but yes there are switches which would allow u to share the internet via lan . i just bought 1 at onestop computers this evening for a friend. it cost me 1500...thats the only option until u get the router
    contact info:
    Cell: 842-1140
    or PM me at anytime

thanks! so what about the connecting cable from the switch to my pc how much would it cost

well i dnt know how much those cost but i dnt think its expensive either....i normally make my own cable. and the cable ur to ask for is straight cable ok. i know cyber media sells the cable retail but onestop doesnt sell it like that they just sell it by the box or they have some ready made straight cables selling.
    contact info:
    or PM me at anytime

thanks but i just did some research on the net and i found out that you can share the internet wirelessly in ad hoc mode ,so that means you dont need a router even thou its better to use it but i'm just experimenting with techknology its amasing what you can do with your pc

ur so right....this link show you step-by-step how to do so
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...tup/adhoc.mspx
    contact info:
    or PM me at anytime

ZyAIR G-220

802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter/AP

The highly adaptable ZyAIR G-220 USB Stick provides a flexible, reliable, and convenient network connection to your wireless LAN and as a bonus features a software based access point (Soft-AP) mode. If you are in a situation where you have multiple people needing network access but only one wired port (Such as hotel rooms, conference rooms, business meetings, and study groups) the G-220's built-in Soft-AP mode allows you to share that wired network connection with others wirelessly. Just plug your computer or laptop into the wired connection, plug in the G-220, turn on Soft-AP mode, and now everyone can use that wired connection via wireless networking.

Data rate up to 54Mbps, 5x faster than 802.11b standard networks
    Backward compliant with 802.11b standard
    Seamless roaming between different access points
    Enhanced wireless security with WPA and WPA2 support
    64/128/256-bit Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) support
    WiFi and WPA2 certified
    Plug & Play easy installation driver

just use internet connection sharing (windows ICS) and connect the other laptop wirelessly in ADHOC mode.

Please note that you cannot connect a switch to the FLOW bridge, since it doesn't include a router. (ie. it will only assign one IP), so only the first connected device will work

It would make much more sense to just go buy a wireless router, since your computer has to be on in order for you brother to access the internet wirelessly.
    Last edited by brinx38; Dec 13, 2008 at 08:25 PM.
    Signature under construction -:

tell u what chrstphr25, christmas is about giving depending on where u live i could sponcer u a free new router just pm my shop is closer to St Elizabet
    Last edited by rvjimmy; Dec 14, 2008 at 12:07 PM.

you can use one laptop as a router.