Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Laptop

!@#$%... the vaio on newegg has gone on limited supply so they not accepting any orders right now.

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by stunna1 View Post
    its not too expensive to ship by courier i use quick mail and they charge me JMD$3000 for a USD$700 7 pound laptop and thats not bad, with regard to the machines i wpuldnt go with HP, their later series seem to be having alot of hardware bugs
    That is unfounded. Many reviews I have seen have not highlighted this.

Quote Originally Posted by WisdoM View Post
    !@#$%... the vaio on newegg has gone on limited supply so they not accepting any orders right now.

*sigh*
    I expected this to happen. You there iffing/butting lol. Deals do not last a long time and is always subject to availability.

Wait, or better luck next time. Check these out though:

http://promotions.newegg.com/Samsung...%2f620x130.jpg
    Last edited by Technoboy; Dec 16, 2008 at 09:03 PM.
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

I was bummed about missing out on that VAIO... but I may have found something better, loving Newegg!!
    I did check out those Samsungs btw but then this caught my eye.

ASUS N50 Series N50Vn-B1B
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4G
    15.4" Screen WXGA+ (1440 x 900)
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT w/ 1GB dedicated
    320GB (5400rpm)
    LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
    Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100 ABGN
    Bluetooth 2.0
    8-in-1 card reader
    Weight 6.5 lbs.

Im just apprehensive cuz I dunno much about Asus, like their reputation for build quality and reliability.

Asus is a premium brand when it comes to laptops...they are highly rated. I certainly have them on my shortlist. Their pricing is not always competitive but trust you get in general excellent products.

Mostly popular in Europe, but they have quite a following in North America too. They are makers of motherboards and other PC components as well as they have their ASUS brand of smartphones. They are also one of the early pioneers of the netbook with their EEe PC line.

Do your research on the model. Nice specs on it though. Has all I would need. The icing on the cake would've been fingerprint reader but that's a novelty. Loving the 2MP camera!! That is one reason I have been so hesitant to go mobile because of the poor built in cams...nothing matches my Logitech 2MP but at least this one has 2MP unlike most with VGA or 1.3MP. Promising, though I still don't think it may perform as good especially in low light.

A bit about the N50:

World's 1st Eco-Notebook. ASUS N50Vn series care about your health by use a specific ionizer to energize oxygen and then generate a large number of negative ions. Don't be scared by the term of "Negative". The Negative Ions are actually beneficial in many ways. They are mostly available in mountains, waterfalls and beaches that produce biochemical reactions that increase levels of the mood chemical serotonin, helping to alleviate depression, relieve stress, and boost our daytime energy. And that explains the reason why people would feel more relaxing when they visit mountains, waterfalls or beaches. N50Vn series not only offers health benefits, it is also a powerful machine. It is equipped with NV9650 1G VRAM that provides high graphic performance supporting most of 3D applications and high-end games. The 15.4-Inch LED panel is power efficient and crystal bright. Hybrid Power4Gear gives the choice of power efficient or high performance to the hands of the users. ASUS exclusive "Express Gate" enables users to access the Internet, instant messenger, Skype, online games, music, photos and more in 10 seconds when the system is powered on. N50Vn also receives the Dolby Home Theater Certification and pre-installed with the ALTEC LANSING Stereo Speaker that makes it the ideal mobile multimedia. ASUS 360 service program promised with 2yr global warranty: one month zero bright dot guaranty, free 2 way standard overnight shipping and 24hr tech support 7 days a week. In addition, ASUS provides free 1Yr Accidental Damage Warranty protecting the notebook from drops fire spills and surge. Free carry bag and optical mouse are included.[/I]
    Could all be gimmicks but surf around and see what people are saying...

Update. The model seems to be somewhat fresh on the market, so save for those 7 consumer reviews on Newegg, I have not found much else online.
    Last edited by Technoboy; Dec 17, 2008 at 07:02 AM.

Yea I did do some research on that Asus and found a few forums with ppl basically saying that the build quality is ok, some had flex in the middle of the keyboard, creaky noise when pressing on wrist rest and speakers ranging from suck to fair. Thinking Im gonna hold off on that and keep looking around then.

Im noticing that most sites only allow for a US billing address even ones that accept International credit cards, the billing address should match the address on the card right so how would you use an international card then?

Quote Originally Posted by WisdoM View Post
    Yea I did do some research on that Asus and found a few forums with ppl basically saying that the build quality is ok, some had flex in the middle of the keyboard, creaky noise when pressing on wrist rest and speakers ranging from suck to fair. Thinking Im gonna hold off on that and keep looking around then.

Im noticing that most sites only allow for a US billing address even ones that accept International credit cards, the billing address should match the address on the card right so how would you use an international card then?
    Yes, with Newegg the billing must match the shipping. I am not sure if the local banks can add the courier address is an alternate and make it work. But then, maybe if/when Newegg tries to verify and realizes it's a locally issued card they may not do it.

I am really no expert on that as I use a different card all together, but others have spoken about this in the "Buying from Newegg" thread.

Re: The ASUS...just how many reviews did you read from consumers? Some of these comments can be subjective so go carefully when making a decision.

But still there is still so many to choose from. Those Samsungs look top notch, plus there are other great ASUS models. HP and Sony still around. Toshiba too and Lenovo and last but not least Dell.

How u mek black friday mis u WISDOM?
    Anyway what I suggest is that u order a custom laptop from dell and ask someone to bring it for you. If not ur stuck with using a courier service.
    Dell has the best customer service I've come across so far.
    Good luck.
    BB 220F103E

processor speed,and screen size, and hdd space. and the brand HP OR DELL Only for me.

lol all you fanboys need 2 wise up.. Dell = CRAP with good customer service and HP = Constant Power Problems and poor hinge creation

i don't unserstand why ppl ALWAYS go for these 2 brands because those 2 brands are the most nitpickey when it comes to locking up the bios and creating integrated parts which u will always be stuck with.. i would rather put my money on a laptop from Toshiba, Asus, Acer or even a Gateway (which i have of course) because those companies are actually setting the trend for gaming over dell or HP.. i know nuff ppl a fight gainst these brands but yo - gimme 1700 and see if i dont get a computer that is more than 3X better than any HP or dell unnu can show me
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by vylle View Post
    lol all you fanboys need 2 wise up.. Dell = CRAP with good customer service and HP = Constant Power Problems and poor hinge creation

i don't unserstand why ppl ALWAYS go for these 2 brands because those 2 brands are the most nitpickey when it comes to locking up the bios and creating integrated parts which u will always be stuck with.. i would rather put my money on a laptop from Toshiba, Asus, Acer or even a Gateway (which i have of course) because those companies are actually setting the trend for gaming over dell or HP.. i know nuff ppl a fight gainst these brands but yo - gimme 1700 and see if i dont get a computer that is more than 3X better than any HP or dell unnu can show me
    I agree to a point, but it is true...a lot of people are so ignorant of the fact that other good, stable brands exist.