Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Laptop

He is happy with his choice. That should be enough.

If we all had the same set up or laptop how boring it would be.

And all the HP seems to have over it spec-wise is slightly better processor (which is negligible) and fingerprint reader (a novelty most wouldn't need).
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Well I havent actually chosen yet, still seriously considering how important warranty is gonna be to me as I wud be moving around with my lappy quite a bit. If I do need warranty I guess Im stuck with Dell but other wise I'd definately go with the VAIO which is $1150 while the HP was about $1450.

Well if you're going to need warranty...your best bet would be to buy from Dell Jamaica or Dell USA. If you buy from Dell Jamaica, sure you get the warranty fine here but if you use the USA site, I am not sure if you'd qualify in Jamaica.

HP doesn't have a Caribbean section as Dell does I don't think so even their warranty would still be bound by being within the U.S.

When ordering from the US Dell site, warranty is only transferable to Jamaica when I choose 3 or more years of coverage.

Other manufacturers require it be shipped back to the US and thats too much hassle.

I dunno why the big deal with warranty though. I know * happens...but when I can use a PC for years without the need for any serious help (warranty) then I'd say it's sometimes such a waste.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Dec 14, 2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: masked profanity

So I decided Im gonna go with the VAIO from Newegg but that gonna give me some payment issues since Newegg wont accept an International Visa Debit card.

I been reading the Newegg thread but its quite lengthy so if anyone cud let me know some alternatives that wud be great. I know I can use a couriers credit card but I just wanna know my other options.

One thing I was wondering is if Paypal accepts Visa debit cards and how long it wud take for them to verify cuz Im not sure how long this laptop gonna stay at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by WisdoM View Post
    So I decided Im gonna go with the VAIO from Newegg but that gonna give me some payment issues since Newegg wont accept an International Visa Debit card.

I been reading the Newegg thread but its quite lengthy so if anyone cud let me know some alternatives that wud be great. I know I can use a couriers credit card but I just wanna know my other options.

One thing I was wondering is if Paypal accepts Visa debit cards and how long it wud take for them to verify cuz Im not sure how long this laptop gonna stay at that price.
    You'd be going through a lot of trouble with all that. Either:

Use the prepaid card with Global or
    Get someone to order for you who has an International card

Paypal won't be easy and you'd have an issue with a local issued card.

Its not exactly a locally issued card, its my moms Cayman issued visa Debit card as she lives there. I made a Paypal account and added the card successfully, am in the verification process which should take a few days.

Wondering whether to wait and see what issues come up or just use a courier's card.

Quote Originally Posted by Technoboy View Post
    Use the prepaid card with Global
    What did you mean, by using my card with Global couriers?

Quote Originally Posted by WisdoM View Post
    Its not exactly a locally issued card, its my moms Cayman issued visa Debit card as she lives there. I made a Paypal account and added the card successfully, am in the verification process which should take a few days.

Wondering whether to wait and see what issues come up or just use a courier's card.

What did you mean, by using my card with Global couriers?
    When you said courier's credit card...Global's prepaid Mastercard came to mind as they are offering this to customers now without a card.

But the least you can do whereas Newegg is concerned is try buying the item...the worst that can happen is it is not processed and the funds held for 3 business days if they seek authorization and then released.

its not too expensive to ship by courier i use quick mail and they charge me JMD$3000 for a USD$700 7 pound laptop and thats not bad, with regard to the machines i wpuldnt go with HP, their later series seem to be having alot of hardware bugs
    If God be for us who can be against us